Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Oil Employment....

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Peak Oil Employment....

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:46:53

Here is a discussion on some of the jobs that may be plentiful after Peak Oil....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUoi-Cli1jU

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Re: Peak Oil Employment....

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 20:26:11

There's no need to worry about jobs after peak oil. Remember---Obama promised to create millions of good-paying jobs in alternate energy.

I'm sure the hiring will start soon. :roll:
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Sun 16 Jan 2011, 14:14:45

We can only pray.....
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby hillsidedigger » Sun 16 Jan 2011, 15:08:02

My guess is there will be job opportunities for at 20 million additional farm-families in the United States.
hillsidedigger
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:35:28

I also think we'll try and take care of the sick and our elders and keep educating our children....not that teaching jobs are exactly hot these days....

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 17 Jan 2011, 22:40:06

MrEnergyCzar wrote:I also think we'll try and take care of the sick and our elders and keep educating our children....not that teaching jobs are exactly hot these days....
MrEnergyCzar

Those are laudable goals. Education being in our own self interest is so blatantly obvious that I keep THINKING that surely our base education system in the U.S. won't continue to deteriorate. (Then I consider how many cashiers can't subtract, or even realize that the needed OPERATION is to subtract if the cash register goes down. Then I get scared and mad).

As for educating adults - retraining to keep workers viable and corporations productive USED to be something corporations did in their own enlightened self-interest. If my experience/observations at IBM (once considered a fabulous company for its employees) are any indication - this behavior is almost DEAD.

Being in my early 50's, and having to imagine myself getting old(er) -- I have to ask myself HOW MUCH care of the elderly is "in the best interests" of humanity long term IF things get very tight.

Should I, for example, consume enough medicare dollars to help maintain the health of 100+ people under 40 if I become sickly long term? Of 500 or 1000?
Perhaps I shouldn't, regardless. If I can't pay for it (i.e. via net taxes into the system) - wow. Now multiply me by tens of millions of folks, just in the U.S. in coming decades.

That's a really tough issue, IMO. Ethics are derived from (IMO) society's opinion about what has historically been "good" for the society. The way current trends are heading, and have been heading since the oil spikes of the 70's -- I have to strongly suspect these ethics for care of the elderly will be seriously re-evaluated.

I would argue that the healthcare crisis in places like the U.S. and England (the NHS is undergoing a MAJOR reorg soon, per The Economist) is just a symptom pointing to the INEVITABILITY of just such a major re-evaluation.

I'm reminded again of learning about Toffler's "Future Shock" comment at around age 12 or so....
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Fredrik » Tue 18 Jan 2011, 04:55:07

My list for the most promising occupations:

Food production, processing, distribution and related
Energy production, infrastructure maintenance and related
Healthcare
Clothesmaking from locally available/salvageable materials
Blacksmithing from locally available/salvageable materials, woodworking
Law enforcement or private security
Basic education

Unless you have a doomstead or a farming co-op with the capacity to feed you and yours.
"Only scarcity and effort make life worth living."
"A fundamental, devastating error is to set up a political system based on [individual] desires." -Pentti Linkola
Fredrik
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Mon 24 Jan 2011, 00:32:32

Fredrik wrote:My list for the most promising occupations:

Food production, processing, distribution and related
Energy production, infrastructure maintenance and related
Healthcare
Clothesmaking from locally available/salvageable materials
Blacksmithing from locally available/salvageable materials, woodworking
Law enforcement or private security
Basic education

Unless you have a doomstead or a farming co-op with the capacity to feed you and yours.

I forgot about healthcare and education....that's what Cuba focused on when they hit Peak Oil...
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 24 Jan 2011, 01:02:17

MrEnergyCzar wrote:Here is a discussion on some of the jobs that may be plentiful after Peak Oil....

MrEnergyCzar

Just want to say your videos are great, lots of practical info on home energy efficiency. You should post here more often.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Tue 01 Feb 2011, 16:00:06

Sixstrings wrote:
MrEnergyCzar wrote:Here is a discussion on some of the jobs that may be plentiful after Peak Oil....

MrEnergyCzar

Just want to say your videos are great, lots of practical info on home energy efficiency. You should post here more often.

Thanks Sixstrings. I'd love to post more stuff but it may be seen as spam by some..

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Return to Peak Oil Discussion