Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

European Union falling apart

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Beginning of the End for the EU?

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 00:14:00

:lol: :lol:
If they use the excuse of migrant crime and terrorism to close the borders, they won't have to deal with the ethics of closing them to climate change refugees. They will already be closed and procedures in place.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Paulo1 » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 00:29:28

Nationalism, (Naziism) is on the rise, everywhere. It is increasing in Europe with right-wing extremist groups, in the USA with Trump supporters, and everywhere else scapegoats can be found to hide the central bank mistakes and finacialization of everything.

Hopefully, it will stick a fork in Globalization. Speaking of scapegoats, I wouldn't mind seeing some Salem Banker trials this time around.

We snoozed and let our guard down, now we will lose for awhile, or at least until we can right the ship.
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby sparky » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 00:48:46

To call people who wish to live in their own liberal society "Nazis" demonstrate a somewhat shortened vision of events.
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 02:30:50

Cid_Yama wrote: :lol: If they use the excuse of migrant crime and terrorism to close the borders, they won't have to deal with the ethics of closing them to climate change refugees. They will already be closed and procedures in place.
Maybe, but I don't think climate refugees is part of their thought process right.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 07:56:06

If the EU continues to allow the rapacious hordes of Muslims to continue to flood over their borders, there won't be a Europe anymore much less an EU. There will be a caliphate. Strict border controls will be the rule and not the exception if you prefer to preserve your culture.

You don't have to be a Nazi to recognize that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 08:01:11

Like it or not it seems that the trend is towards pulling back. Stronger national borders. I was hoping the EU would hang together as a unit, protect its borders. Use NATO as a EU defense force.

I think the smart think to do would be for NATO to protect Turkeys Syrian border and stop ALL cross border trade. If Turkey won't go with that the kick Turkey out of NATO and pull the defended border back to the Turkish border.

Not that I think any of this would happen.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 09:02:02

GASMON wrote:Roll on the UK's vote to staying in / out of the EU, currently out has a 6% lead and rising.
Yeah, looks like the Brixit is gonna happen. Once one goes, several that wanted out will go too.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 09:12:19

Cid_Yama wrote:Yeah, looks like the Brexit is gonna happen. Once one goes, several that wanted out will go too.
Depends on how loud the business leaders shout, they were very vocal just before the Scottish independence referendum.
"Vote NO, or we take your jobs south of the border!", that swayed enough votes to reject independence. If the same happens with a threat to take jobs out of Britain, then a Brexit is unlikely.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Simon_R » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 09:27:39

The EU does face some challenges. Mme Merkels immigration offer, was a mass cockup, however the issue is what do we do now. In the short term closing borders would seem a good thing, the trouble is our border with Turkey is porous.
The immigration issue comes down to, are you happy to see people die on your borders, this will be the test we face.
Countries adding passport control in the bloc is not going to be the end, simply an adjustment. Most countries in the bloc, require you to carry ID at all times anyway, it depends how much hysteria is whipped up.
The brexit, well yes they do contribute, but if they leave we would simply tax oil and gas imports and food imports and car imports and ...... well you get the picture.
There are also other English speaking countries in the EU who would be happy to become the voice of the USA in the EU and who would be happy to start poaching that lovely FTSE money. These are some of the reasons why business and the PM are against a brexit.

Still, challenging times. What the shape of the EU will be in 5 years, who knows.

Simon
Simon_R
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby C8 » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 11:02:41

The world's population of dirt poor people is skyrocketing- and they are on the move to nations with nice benefits and soft policing. Unless the citizens of these nations want to be capsized they will move towards:

1. border controls
2. harsher policing
3. fewer benefits
4. (eventually) viewing migrants as true invaders subject to military responses
5. Less democracy (as it would allow immigrants to vote for more immigrants entering)

Liberalism grew in an environment of comfort- it cannot survive in a harsher world IMO
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 13:17:03

pstarr wrote:C8, an unfortunate truth but all the same an unsolvable predicament for caring people. Border controls are impossible without the ultimate drastic measure. Will folks be prepared to gun down desperate people?
I would. And its not because I have any desire to kill anyone. But if you let them in they will destroy your culture and end up dying anyway, as well as you. Tough decisions have to be made. Some will have to die.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 13:25:28

pstarr wrote: You didn't sign up for a just war, but you would be willing to mount a machine gun and cut down unarmed men, woman and children? Interesting.
See my modified post above. Better they die than my country and culture and them as well. Lifeboat ethics. Don't worry Pete, no one will ask you to get your hands dirty.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Simon_R » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 13:49:38

Nobody needs to Gun down Migrants. That is why we invented Automated Area Denial Systems
Simon_R
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 13:55:14

Will we have to...
Gun down migrants? Likely not.
Watch them starve, men, woemen, children, across the fence? Quite likely.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Simon_R » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 14:09:52

I think what upsets people here (EU) is that these migrants are being fed in Turkey etc.
When interviewed they all say they are coming 'for a better life'

We can always (PO excepting) feed the zombies.
Simon_R
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion