Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The future of Europe is Russia!

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Interesting Russia Today article

Unread postby Caffeine » Fri 15 May 2009, 09:44:16

An article about survivalism in Russia. I find this article interesting because the nature/focus of preparations seems somewhat different.

Those who have chosen to stay in the big city install double steel doors and steel bars on the hermetically-sealed insulating glass units of their apartments. They already have gas masks, registered shotguns with lots of ammo, fire extinguishers, filters of all kinds for every occasion, medicine chests, and surgical instruments.

They even buy furniture made of quality pine wood in case it comes to burning it in stoves they have purchased in better times.

Survivalists of St. Petersburg are organized so well they are even ready to establish defenses and make a stand in every block – the city is preliminarily divided into sectors, and every one of them has a person responsible for its defense.

It would never have occurred to me to buy furniture that would burn well as fuel, but it makes sense, especially with the historical perspective thrown in.

Russia Today
Caffeine
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Interesting Russia Today article

Unread postby RdSnt » Fri 15 May 2009, 09:50:23

Consider their history. They have a very deep historical level of experience with urban defence.
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 15 May 2009, 09:51:58

Caffeine wrote:An article about survivalism in Russia. I find this article interesting because the nature/focus of preparations seems somewhat different.

Those who have chosen to stay in the big city install double steel doors and steel bars on the hermetically-sealed insulating glass units of their apartments. They already have gas masks, registered shotguns with lots of ammo, fire extinguishers, filters of all kinds for every occasion, medicine chests, and surgical instruments.

They even buy furniture made of quality pine wood in case it comes to burning it in stoves they have purchased in better times.

Survivalists of St. Petersburg are organized so well they are even ready to establish defenses and make a stand in every block – the city is preliminarily divided into sectors, and every one of them has a person responsible for its defense.

It would never have occurred to me to buy furniture that would burn well as fuel, but it makes sense, especially with the historical perspective thrown in.

Russia Today

My Momma's famliy had to burn funiture during the 30's.
vision-master

Unread postby Caffeine » Fri 15 May 2009, 10:57:26

I wonder if an English translation of "Subway 2033" is available somewhere?
Caffeine
Lignite
Lignite

The future of Europe is Russia!

Unread postby evgeny » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 11:16:30

"No doubt now, that the end of" Cold War marked the end of the longest stage of international development - 400-500 years, during which European civilization has dominated the world. The historical West had always pushed the cutting edge of this dominance.

"The new stage is sometimes defined as" post-American ". But certainly this is not the "world after the USA" and especially without the U.S.. It'sa world where, following the rise of other global centers of power and influence, the relative importance of the role of America is shrinking, as had occurred during the recent decades in the economy and global trade. Leadership is a different issue, especially that of securing agreement among the partners, the ability to be first, but among equals. "

To define the content of the training world, there is also the terms as multipolar, polycentric, non-polar. "

"We do not share the fears that the current reconfiguration is happening in the world leads inevitably" chaos and anarchy. " There is the natural process of forming a new international architecture - both political and financial and economic, which would meet the new realities. "

"Russia sees itself as part of European civilization, which possesses the common Christian roots."

"The hard Anglo-Saxon model of socio-economic development of this new failures, like in the 20 ХХe century, the West had created many economic and financial architecture has its global image. And now, or we are in the presence of movement recognized by all the financial and economic strength to the new fast-growing economies like China, India, Russia, Brazil, it becomes clear that this system does is not adequate to the new realities. Basically, it requires a financial and economic basis, which corresponded to the polycentric world today. "

More than a year after his remarks by Sergei Lavrov (June 2008) one thing is clear, the financial crisis has fully confirmed. At the dawn of the fall of 2009, the West is preparing to break the story through the back door, after sending its metastases to all humanity. In this world re-configuration, it is worth asking what is the role that continental European nations want to play.

At a time when the fault lines are becoming increasingly illegible, it is worth remembering that the only chance of survival of indigenous Europeans is to survive out of the rut Atlanticist suicidal and develop extensive collaboration and integrated with the Russian Federation, so that the pair "Euro-Russian" help maintain peace in the Heartland, in this new multipolar world and polycentric.

link

An excellent analysis of American geopolitics, the correct view of the true interests of Europe. I wish the article was reprinted French and other European "big" newspapers and magazines, so more Europeans acquainted with it.

Author - very clever! And a decent man. Let us all together wish him luck!
Last edited by evgeny on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 11:48:17, edited 3 times in total.
evgeny
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: The future of Europe is Russia!

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 11:22:42

The future of europe and the world, should you care to look far enough into the crystal ball of energy descent, is for countries to no longer be able to pull this kind of "king of the mountain" bullsh*t anymore.
mos6507

Unread postby frankthetank » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 12:03:46

Russia has all the makings to prosper for a long time. HUGE land mass, small population, natural resources out of the wazoo, nukes, subs, ships, airplanes and a population that isn't full of a bunch of soften marshmallows :)

With nukes, isn't it hard for any country to become "king"? I mean, if you've got thousands of warheads, you are king no matter what! No country can attack you unless they want to glow... probably the reason the Chinese are attacking us economically, they know they can beat us (or at least OWN us).
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 12:19:18

Russia is a cleptocracy with a shrinking population full of depressed alcoholics who die before they're 60. They have a decided mix of high tech (fighters) and screwed up (subs that have a penchant for breaking down) military hardware. They have oil reserves that are at or slightly beyond peak. They have a large landmass, most of which is in a climate that requires a great deal of fossil fuels for winter heating. Much of russia has been polluted from decades of soviet disregard for the environment. If they are going to be king of the mountain I'd say that is kind of a sad state of affairs.
mos6507

Unread postby shakespear1 » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 12:31:24

They have a large landmass, most of which is in a climate that requires a great deal of fossil fuels for winter heating. Much of russia has been polluted from decades of soviet disregard for the environment.
Climate change may make this land mass more farm friendly soon :o

The land mass has been on the gun sights of "interested parties" for many centuries. With good reasons. Look at what small Japan can do with far less.
Men argue, nature acts !
Voltaire

"...In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation."

Alan Greenspan
shakespear1
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ian807 » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 12:33:20

mos6507 wrote:Russia is a cleptocracy with a shrinking population full of depressed alcoholics who die before they're 60.

America is a kleptocracy of extremely wealthy people who work for banks and financial institutions like Goldman Sachs who have actually purchased the government of the USA.

And in a generation or two, are you thinking that the majority of us "little people" in the USA *won't* be a shrinking population full of depressed alcoholics who die before they're 60?
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 13:11:05

The biggest reason so many Russians are alcoholic is that they suffer from an unusually harsh genetic predisposition to alcoholism not much unlike that suffered by so-called 'native' Americans, for example. It has little to do with their current economic 'system' or past 'system'.

From a purely practical perspective, if they on average live only to their 50's or 60's it's past their reproductive years allowing their population to continue yet placing less strain on their declining old age maintenance social security methods.

If the Russians can protect their borders (their most important concern!) they will be in excellent shape to weather any economic storm. Russia is far better positioned, in fact, than any other advanced nation due to their huge resource base and long experience with harsh conditions. They'll be especially well positioned when they return to state management of the means of production as the economic slide gets underway.

Yes, long term Russia will be successful while many other nations will experience total collapse.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby evgeny » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 13:24:35

eastbay wrote:The biggest reason so many Russians are alcoholic is that they suffer from an unusually harsh genetic predisposition to alcoholism not much unlike that suffered by so-called 'native' Americans, for example. It has little to do with their current economic 'system' or past 'system'. --snip-- Yes, long term Russia will be successful while many other nations will experience total collapse.

You Are Absolutely Right! ancestor did good job for your country
evgeny
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evgeny » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 13:30:39

mos6507 wrote:Russia is a cleptocracy with a shrinking population full of depressed alcoholics who die before they're 60. --snip-- Much of russia has been polluted from decades of soviet disregard for the environment. If they are going to be king of the mountain I'd say that is kind of a sad state of affairs.
We survive after 1917, after 1990. Only one thing can stop us now. Full destruction of this world
evgeny
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evgeny » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 13:35:45

Russia will do well without European
Question are, can European survive without Russia?
evgeny
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evgeny » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 13:57:45

mos6507 wrote:Russia is a cleptocracy with a shrinking population full of depressed alcoholics who die before they're 60. They have a decided mix of high tech (fighters) and screwed up (subs that have a penchant for breaking down) military hardware. They have oil reserves that are at or slightly beyond peak. They have a large landmass, most of which is in a climate that requires a great deal of fossil fuels for winter heating. Much of russia has been polluted from decades of soviet disregard for the environment. If they are going to be king of the mountain I'd say that is kind of a sad state of affairs.
Statistics by Country for Alcoholism Cure Research

basically Canada have more problem with alcoholism then Russia did
Last edited by evgeny on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 14:06:13, edited 1 time in total.
evgeny
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 14:01:40

eastbay wrote:They'll be especially well positioned when they return to state management of the means of production as the economic slide gets underway.
Communism 2.0, huh? I'm sure Orlov would love that theory. I'll believe it when I see it.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 14:04:53

evgeny wrote:Only one thing can stop us now.Full destruction of this world
Well, if Russia finds a lot of oil in the arctic, then they certainly will do their part to destroy the world. Not to mention enabling rogue states like Iran to push us into WWIII.
mos6507

Unread postby evgeny » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 14:11:35

mos6507 wrote:
evgeny wrote:Only one thing can stop us now.Full destruction of this world
Well, if Russia finds a lot of oil in the arctic, then they certainly will do their part to destroy the world. Not to mention enabling rogue states like Iran to push us into WWIII.

Personally i don't have problem if Iran will have nuclear bomb. Iran will never used it to atack. But this bomb will cool down some hot heads
Last edited by evgeny on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 14:20:51, edited 1 time in total.
evgeny
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 14:12:32

evgeny wrote:basically Canada have more problem with alcoholism then Russia did
Knock the natives out of the Canadian stats and then see what the numbers are.
Not meaning to be cruel, that's just the reality of it.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 06 Oct 2009, 14:13:58

mos6507 wrote:
eastbay wrote:They'll be especially well positioned when they return to state management of the means of production as the economic slide gets underway.
Communism 2.0, huh? I'm sure Orlov would love that theory. I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah, me too. We've never been in a mess like this since Easter Island. Managing a catastrophic economic decline will keep everyone (remaining) quite busy. Those acquainted with harsh living will stand a better chance, I would think. And an economic management system predicated upon and REQUIRING economic growth will probably stand a poorer chance. But I could be wrong because we're in uncharted territory here and all we can do is make educated guesses. :shock:
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Europe Discussion