Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Coming Out" to the relatives

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: "Coming Out" to the relatives

Unread postby bodigami » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 13:56:14

Last edited by bodigami on Sat 10 Jan 2009, 00:30:23, edited 2 times in total.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 14:03:32

Last edited by bodigami on Fri 02 Jan 2009, 20:52:32, edited 1 time in total.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 11:41:50

My family is Scottish so the idea that oil can decline and that its bounty can be squandered is taken for granted. My brother has also seen " A short history of oil" by Robert Newman so is pretty aware that the long term trend will be one of constant recessions and depressions. Problem is he is a lazy bugger and wont do anything too vigerous about it.

My mates find me a bit obsessive about this kind of thing but dont dispute that Im probibly right.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 13:19:32

bodinagamin wrote:lol, there was a period of revenge and frustration against humanity, but it is now over.

We'll see about that. Seems like a personality trait of yours that isn't going away anytime soon, even if you attempt to submerge it.
mos6507

Unread postby POAlex » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 15:20:32

bodinagamin wrote:
mos6507 wrote:
bratticus wrote:We get into Buddhism to have compassion for your kind of sentient being.
I don't get a lot of compassionate vibes from him. I get a lot of "I've reached perfection and you unwashed masses are going DOWN." It's actually pretty fundie christian hellfire and brimstone in outlook.
lol, there was a period of revenge and frustration against humanity, but it is now over. It was also part of a experiment, and I got some valuable information from it.
I chosed to stay many lives to help others, that you (or any other poster from this forum) is not on my current help list doesn't mean much. I'm helping others, specially learning basis of meditation and talking of what is rarely talked about.

But that's why we need Jesus, bodinagamin. If we hold up our lives to the Ten Commandments, we see that we've fallen short and need a Saviour.
Have I Been Good Enough To Go To Heaven?
Take care,
Alex
POAlex
Wood
Wood

Unread postby davep » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 15:26:00

POAlex wrote:We need Jesus, bodinagamin.

What if he doesn't come?

Maybe we each need to be responsible, rather than waiting for a saviour. Isn't that what Jesus would have wanted?

Edit: to sin is to 'miss the mark', according to a priest I know. Try hitting the mark without expecting God to bring back his Son.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby POAlex » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 15:29:06

We should be good stewards, dave. Absolutely.

However, when He comes back, isn't as important as making sure we're right with Him now.

Alex
POAlex
Wood
Wood

Unread postby davep » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 15:33:17

POAlex wrote:However, when He comes back, isn't as important as making sure we're right with Him now.

Or indeed, being right with ourselves.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby POAlex » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 17:49:04

Its like the land we live in. There are laws to obide by and if we break the laws, we owe a fine or a debt.

So can you see how, in the case of God's Law, the debt would be with God, not ourselves?

Alex
POAlex
Wood
Wood

Unread postby bratticus » Mon 08 Dec 2008, 08:35:23

POAlex wrote:
bodinagamin wrote:
mos6507 wrote:
bratticus wrote:We get into Buddhism to have compassion for your kind of sentient being.
I don't get a lot of compassionate vibes from him. I get a lot of "I've reached perfection and you unwashed masses are going DOWN." It's actually pretty fundie christian hellfire and brimstone in outlook.
lol, there was a period of revenge and frustration against humanity, but it is now over. It was also part of a experiment, and I got some valuable information from it.
I chosed to stay many lives to help others, that you (or any other poster from this forum) is not on my current help list doesn't mean much. I'm helping others, specially learning basis of meditation and talking of what is rarely talked about.

But that's why we need Jesus, bodinagamin. If we hold up our lives to the Ten Commandments, we see that we've fallen short and need a Saviour.
Have I Been Good Enough To Go To Heaven?
Take care,
Alex
We need a sandwich and a cup of tea. Sell your birthright for them. Just do it.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Mon 08 Dec 2008, 08:54:32

I came out to my sister (fanatical xtian) and dad who is also an FX. My sister is kind of listening, but I do notice that she shuts down at times cause of overload and I try to be sensitive to that.

I have sent her and my dad's wife copies of my food storage plan and pantry list. I keep them up to date on the economy.

If I talk peakoil they deny it. but if I focus on the economic side of life, they want to deny it like hell, I can feel it and sense it, but they are more open to it. But luckily their religion predisposes them to be fearful so they are a little more accepting of it than they otherwise might be.

Of course, they are also both hedging their best that Jeasus will rescue them before hand....
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby StormBringer » Mon 08 Dec 2008, 11:09:52

When i told my mother about the impending future, she as expected began to tell me about god and finding peace. As an ordained minister find little comfort in her words. As i told her god helps those who help themselves. If we do not prepair and as someone on this site stated..."power down softly" {sorry for not remembering your name} we will be in for the shock of our lives and many about 90% is my est. will be ill-prepaired.

As i began to tell my family and close friends of the plight of the world, I woundered how they would except the info, and how they would look upon me for such a revalation. I came to the conclusion that it is the duity of the informed to share with others no matter the conclusion they draw. I really never wanted to be the bearer of such tribulation but it is a burden we share on this site and i find comfort knowing im not alone.
StormBringer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Grifter » Mon 08 Dec 2008, 11:24:28

StormBringer wrote: I really never wanted to be the bearer of such tribulation but it is a burden we share on this site and i find comfort knowing im not alone.

I do not share that burden. I did at one time but the reaction of others hardened me to their (and my) likely destiny.

I just don't care about them, if I did I would be constantly miserable and worried for my fellow man. That wouldn't lead to me being very productive with my time.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby StormBringer » Mon 08 Dec 2008, 13:43:20

Grifter wrote:
StormBringer wrote: I really never wanted to be the bearer of such tribulation but it is a burden we share on this site and i find comfort knowing im not alone.
I do not share that burden. I did at one time but the reaction of others hardened me to their (and my) likely destiny.
I just don't care about them, if I did I would be constantly miserable and worried for my fellow man. That wouldn't lead to me being very productive with my time.

The burden is the knowledge.. We are only accountable to ourselves on what we do with it. Dont let the intollerance of others effect your outlook.
StormBringer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Mon 08 Dec 2008, 17:27:09

Personally I'll be very glad when the most hard-hearted among us leave this site. Their rank anti-humanism is self-defeating.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 24 Dec 2008, 07:59:25

Serial_Worrier wrote:Personally I'll be very glad when the most hard-hearted among us leave this site. Their rank anti-humanism is self-defeating.

Its not hard to be disheartened by rank ignorance and stupidity...

Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." -- Winston Churchill
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby StormBringer » Wed 24 Dec 2008, 10:43:28

There comes a time when everyone gets a bit of hard heart. There is a time and place for such things. The difference is knowing when and to whom to use such abrasion on. To close your heart to all because of the mistakes of a few, well that's not the world I want to live in anyway. Often on this site you get the since that it is easier to shut out the world than to live in it. That may be true but it makes for a lonely place. Don't be angered by someone who has a hard heart, that is what they expect, instead have pity, mercy, and kindness, shock them with something they didn't expect. Even if it don't work and they still throw it back at you, at least they didn't make you have a bad day too. The problem with emotion is that it is contagious Angry, Happy, OR Sad without even knowing it you infect others.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." Daniel Boone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 28 Jan 2009, 16:46:05

How hard of a tact are those of us here going to take with extended family when TSHTF?

For example, I can get about enough food for 6 people (me, wife, 2 sons, stepson, daughter) out of an half-an acre planted with corn, squash, beans, etc.

I have 2 1/4 acres, slightly more than half of which is woods providing firewood. The 1 acre or so is divided between fruit trees, area taken up by house, and crop-area... so do we throw the parents cousins etc under the bus?

I'm saying this because idea of coming out to the relatives, if people choose not to listen to our warnings before TSHTF, are we morally obligated to help those who didn't listen after the fact?
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 28 Jan 2009, 18:43:34

rangerone314 wrote: are we morally obligated to help those who didn't listen after the fact?

That entirely depends on your own personal morals.
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 28 Jan 2009, 20:07:15

Interesting that this thread is being bumped now. In a couple weeks my mom will be back in town and we're going to have to have a family talk about my plans for a house. They still want to convince me to stay in this house. Meanwhile, I'm not ruling out moving out of state (to maybe VT or ME) or at least blowing my life's savings on a rural property there while I bide my time waiting for collapse. So I'm going to have to finally let them know what my vision of the future is and I just don't know I'm going to go about it now that gas is cheap again and peak oil looks idiotic on the surface. But once I stop putting on a facade to them, my relationship with them will NEVER be the same. :(
mos6507

PreviousNext

Return to Medical Issues Forum