Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 23

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 23

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 28 Apr 2022, 18:36:54

theluckycountry wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Exxon made a profit of $5.12 per share last year. With 4,225,673,726 shares outstanding that is a tidy little profit. :)

April 21, 2020
President Donald Trump on Tuesday promised the $181 billion oil and gas industry a federal bailout, after the price of oil suffered historic drops... Trump met with Big Oil executives earlier this month in the White House. In the foreground is Darren Woods, Chief Executive Officer of ExxonMobil.

Their profits are guaranteed.

https://www.alternet.org/2020/04/big-oi ... e-promise/

Actually during the Trump years Exxon had such bad results they were removed from the Dow 30 where they had sat for decades. They have come back a lot with the rise in oil prices under Biden policies but their profits were never guaranteed.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Doly » Fri 29 Apr 2022, 15:32:56

Tell millions of people about the relentless rise in energy, the collapsing state of the power grid and how in 20 years it might not be functional? No way. Tell them a pack of lies instead and send them deeper into a state of cognitive dissonance.

I think there has to be a little bit more to it than that. After all, people can handle pretty horrible things like wars when they happen. So why couldn't they handle the notion that a war might happen before it happens, for example? (I'm thinking about what happened in Ukraine right before the invasion.)

I have a theory that maybe cognitive dissonance can make people sick, not just psychologically uncomfortable, but that it can make some people very sick, and that brings all sorts of other difficult consequences. It might explain the odd attitude of some doctors with the coronavirus. Once a war comes, with people getting killed all over the place, some people getting really sick doesn't look like such a big deal any more. But in peacetime it does. Well, it's the best theory I have right now for a lot of the weirdness that has been going on.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 30 Apr 2022, 04:44:21

This is a very well thought out presentation on renewables vs. nuclear power and climate change and environmental impacts.
Most logical thing I have seen in quite some time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yALPEpV4w
Your reaction and comments?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 30 Apr 2022, 06:58:54

India is roasting again, early in the season too. Well that's what happens when you're born in the wrong part of the wrong hemisphere.

Life-threatening heat waves arrived in India a month earlier than normal, shattering temperature records, with highs reaching over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) -- and it will only get hotter.
The worst of the heat wave is expected late this week into this weekend with high temperatures approaching 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit (5-8 degrees Celsius) above normal across northern and northwestern India as well as parts of Pakistan.
Over one billion people will be subjected to excessive heat -- 10% of the world's population, according to Scott Duncan, an extreme climate expert.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/27/weather/ ... index.html

Nighttime 'lows' more dangerous than highs 01:07
Little to no relief will come during the overnight hours as minimum temperatures will not dip below 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 Celsius) in many areas.

Prolonged periods of warm nights can prove deadly as they limit the body's ability to recover from daytime heat

This can be the killer alright, no recovery, day after day, poor bastards. I wonder how it can be blamed on Biden :razz:
theluckycountry
Coal
Coal

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 30 Apr 2022, 07:38:19

vtsnowedin wrote:This is a very well thought out presentation on renewables vs. nuclear power and climate change and environmental impacts.
Your reaction and comments?

He could have dressed up a bit considering his audience, but I guess the 'image' of the activist has to be maintained. I wonder what his net worth is? How much his foundation is worth and how much big nuclear donate to it? Greenpeace is pretty well funded by the natural gas industry I believe.
Very scary that image of two power workers burning to death on a wind turbine, thank God nothing dangerous ever happens at nuclear plants. At least nothing that can't be hushed up, burred under a rug or otherwise downplayed.

Cleaning the flight deck of the USS Ronald Reagan after it was contaminated of Sendai due to Fukishima.

Photos taken by Navy personnel aboard the ship show the crew decontaminating the flight deck with brooms and foamy cleanser – clad in fatigues, hoodies and ski caps, many with their faces exposed.

In the three years since, dozens have developed cancers, at least one has borne a child with birth defects, and all “must now endure a lifetime of radiation poisoning and suffering which could have and should have been avoided,” the lawsuit says.

https://www.ocregister.com/2014/04/07/l ... s-sailors/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8qw05D0i1A
theluckycountry
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 30 Apr 2022, 08:10:26

So you think the losses on the Ronald Reagan outweigh the thousands if not millions of deaths from other air pollution and climate change?. Poor thinking on your part.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Doly » Mon 02 May 2022, 16:07:32

So you think the losses on the Ronald Reagan outweigh the thousands if not millions of deaths from other air pollution and climate change?. Poor thinking on your part.

Not sure if that's what was implied, but anyway, if that was the idea, it's very common. I worked for an NGO for a while, and we knew quite well that statistics of thousands or millions of people don't move people. Stories about small numbers of people (and literally, they're best if they're about just one person, or one family) are what moves most people. Most people look at graphs or charts or stats and feel nothing, and those who feel something, often feel the wrong things (like "economic growth - yeah!!").
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 02 May 2022, 19:27:35

Doly wrote:

Not sure if that's what was implied, but anyway, if that was the idea, it's very common. I worked for an NGO for a while, and we knew quite well that statistics of thousands or millions of people don't move people. Stories about small numbers of people (and literally, they're best if they're about just one person, or one family) are what moves most people. Most people look at graphs or charts or stats and feel nothing, and those who feel something, often feel the wrong things (like "economic growth - yeah!!").
Well I prefer to look at total deaths of the population over decades not the very few accidental deaths from mishaps. Looking through that lens Nuclear electric generation is by far the safest course we can take both from a public safety view and the impacts on the environment AKA climate change.
That is not a popular position, I realize, but these same people today have said we need to move away from commercial fertilizer to "Green " alternatives like dung and compost. These same people want to get rid of all the cows emitting methane from belches from one end and the other end. If they get rid of all those polluting cows just where do they think they can get the dung for fertilizer from.
And if truth be known most of the "dung" is already being utilized on the farmlands of the world to good effect so there is very little unused dung to be used as a replacement for millions of tons of commercial fertilizer.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate