Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 03 Jul 2019, 20:46:29

KaiserJeep wrote:ibon, are you contemplating selling that coffee online? I am a caffiene fiend and currently enjoy a combination of PNG (Papua New Guinea) and Tanzania Peaberry, and sometimes Kona when it is gifted to me. I am sure your beans are unique and I'm interested.

FYI I can roast small amounts (I use a hot air popcorn popper) and then grind the beans by hand, and use either a Melita drip filter or a classic Bialetti coffee maker on the stove for European style.

This IS "Happy Talk" for me, by the way. If the rest of you are not interested, I will take this exchange into PMs.

I liked your video. Sometimes back in Silicon Valley, when I was awake early in the morn, I would breakfast early and take the "long way" to work, through the Almaden Valley and Almaden-Quicksilver Park. The Santa Cruz mountains gleamed in the dawn light, and sometimes the Sun would illuminate a river of clouds flowing through the Watsonville gap or even Almaden Valley itself, from the Pacific marine layer.

It was indeed, a religious experience.

I will PM you. We do sell green beans in limited amounts. Our production is still quite small.

Here is a recent article regarding Panama's award winning coffee....

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201906 ... e-costs-75

We actually grow Geisha , Typica, Caturra, Cataui, Pacamara, all in small volumes... Great high elevation coffee.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 13 Jul 2019, 18:16:12

Found some rust on my boat. Not a “design” flaw but implementation. The previous owner got carried away with the spray foam insulation and had some where it should not have been. It trapped moisture creating rust, heavy in some places. I’ve just finished cutting out the bad area and am prepping for welding. I had to cut out some interior wood work, the chain locker, and remove the losing tank to gain access. The area is under our bed so every morning we have to remove the mattress and it’s supports to go to work.

Oddly enough somehow this doesn’t bother me. Another Boatus was commenting on it, the zen of boating, you just come to accept it as your fate and carry on.

Odd, I can’t attach a pic?
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 17 Jul 2019, 11:55:40

Down to 203.5 lbs. Its getting harder to lose weight now and it has slowed down. Some women in my weight loss club and have said 180 would make me look gaunt. But at 6' 1" I still think 180 lbs would be preferable. We will see.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 28 Jul 2019, 18:12:36

I'm off on a big trip in a couple of days, this time to new England then to Africa. In New England I'll do some family stuff and some tourist things. I'm still trying to see all the Caravaggio paintings in the world, and there is one at the Wadsworth Atheneium Museum in Connecticut that I haven't seen yet. I've also got tickets to a performance of Twelth Night at the venerable Shakespeare and Friends theatre in Stockbridge, Ma.

Once in Africa I'm hoping to go by train from South Africa through Mozambique and up to Zimbabwe. Its my fifth trip to Africa.....I was South Africa before, and on another trip travelled across Tanzania and the Seregetti, and I've also been to Egypt and Morocco. But Mozambique and Zimbabwe don't have much in the way of infrastructure, so I'm not quite sure how that part of the trip will go, since it is mostly off the tourist route.

That will pretty much finish off the summer for me. BY the time I get back to Alaska we'll be heading quickly towards fall. Summer has been kind of a bust this year in Alaska due to the huge wildfires and weeks of omnipresent wildfire smoke.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 29 Jul 2019, 11:06:19

Plantagenet wrote:I'm off on a big trip in a couple of days

What a surprise. The planet's atmosphere thanks you. The cognitive dissonance and shamelessness is off the charts.

Plantagenet wrote:Summer has been kind of a bust this year in Alaska due to the huge wildfires and weeks of omnipresent wildfire smoke.

Gee, you think there might be a small connection between the two? Nah... Fly with impunity!

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 29 Jul 2019, 11:20:42

Everybody is a little trumpet these days ASG and you just got baited once again....
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Armageddon » Mon 29 Jul 2019, 11:44:20

Cog wrote:Down to 203.5 lbs. Its getting harder to lose weight now and it has slowed down. Some women in my weight loss club and have said 180 would make me look gaunt. But at 6' 1" I still think 180 lbs would be preferable. We will see.

Lower your calories and add it some resistance training. Forget the non carb nonsense. Lower to calories to 2000 daily. 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% healthy fats. You have to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Mon 29 Jul 2019, 12:58:28

Low carb diets result in calorie deficit. It's not magic but it's a lot easier to do than portion control.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Armageddon » Mon 29 Jul 2019, 17:46:57

Cog wrote:Low carb diets result in calorie deficit. It's not magic but it's a lot easier to do than portion control.

Sure it can, but you can be in a caloric surplus with too much protein and gain weight. Count your calories closely and don’t exceed 2000 daily. You’ll lose 1 lb per week this way. 3500 calories in a pound. 500 cal daily deficit x 7 days = 3500 cals. Throw in some resistance training and light cardio a few times per week and you could increase it to 1.5 lbs per week. I’ve helped many, many people lose weight. 99.9% of people don’t know how to lose weight. It’s all diet. Calories in calories out.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Tue 30 Jul 2019, 03:58:03

Cog wrote:Down to 203.5 lbs. Its getting harder to lose weight now and it has slowed down. Some women in my weight loss club and have said 180 would make me look gaunt. But at 6' 1" I still think 180 lbs would be preferable. We will see.

Use a bicycle or velomobile for 90% of your transport. You'll melt any excess weight right off in short order.

I go through 3,500 calories a day and am 140 lbs, at 5'10". No matter how much I eat I find it impossible to gain weight. Given that I get those calories mostly from high nutrient density fruits, vegetables, seeds, and legumes, and go through a gallon of water a day, this lifestyle has kept me youthful. I'm in my mid 30s and people who don't know me mistake me for a minor half my age.
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 30 Jul 2019, 04:51:21

We have a saying in the weight loss group I'm a part of. You can not outrun a fork. As you age, regardless of your level of physical activity, you will generally put on weight if you maintain the same calorie level. I do not discount the value of exercise AND diet. Exercise has a lot of value to keep your heart strong and keep up muscle strength and cardiovascular health.

But regarding diet. The carb heavy diet that most Americans are utilizing, has killed more Americans than all the wars we have ever fought in. Its poison pure and simple. Our bodies were designed to be able to use fat to provide energy. Our ancestors did not have aisles of soda and chips to chose from. They had to eat in a more healthy way since that was their only choice. They also had periods of time where they had no food at all and relied on stored body fat to keep them going.

Now you can do a good diet by either portion control or by eliminating entire classes of food that you won't eat. For those on paleo or Atkins, we don't eat carbs in the form of food like potatoes, pasta, refined sugar or grains. We do eat some carbs in the form of vegetables, fruits, and nuts.

People with eating disorders have a problem with portion control. Low carb generally works for them better since fat and protein gives them a greater feeling of satiation in between meals. Carbs, and it doesn't matter if its a potato or a spoon of sugar, spikes blood sugar and you are hungry again in short order.

To each his own as long as you are not obese. For me and thousands of others, low carb works. The 43 pounds I've lost since Feb 7th speaks for itself. Yesterday's weigh in 202.50
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby tire » Tue 30 Jul 2019, 06:51:45

asg70 wrote:Nah... Fly with impunity!

why shouldn't he?
Anytime you forgo some consumption in the name of the planet, an aspiring 3rd worlder will gladly step in and consume instead of you. Makes no difference.

Until there's large scale, concerted effort to curb emissions (like by law limiting the miles a person can fly) any saving on an individual level is automatically compensate by higher consumption by somebody else.
tire
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 30 Jul 2019, 08:39:59

Cog wrote:We have a saying in the weight loss group I'm a part of. You can not outrun a fork. As you age, regardless of your level of physical activity, you will generally put on weight if you maintain the same calorie level. I do not discount the value of exercise AND diet. Exercise has a lot of value to keep your heart strong and keep up muscle strength and cardiovascular health.

But regarding diet. The carb heavy diet that most Americans are utilizing, has killed more Americans than all the wars we have ever fought in. Its poison pure and simple. Our bodies were designed to be able to use fat to provide energy. Our ancestors did not have aisles of soda and chips to chose from. They had to eat in a more healthy way since that was their only choice. They also had periods of time where they had no food at all and relied on stored body fat to keep them going.

Now you can do a good diet by either portion control or by eliminating entire classes of food that you won't eat. For those on paleo or Atkins, we don't eat carbs in the form of food like potatoes, pasta, refined sugar or grains. We do eat some carbs in the form of vegetables, fruits, and nuts.

People with eating disorders have a problem with portion control. Low carb generally works for them better since fat and protein gives them a greater feeling of satiation in between meals. Carbs, and it doesn't matter if its a potato or a spoon of sugar, spikes blood sugar and you are hungry again in short order.

To each his own as long as you are not obese. For me and thousands of others, low carb works. The 43 pounds I've lost since Feb 7th speaks for itself. Yesterday's weigh in 202.50

Carbs arent the enemy, excess calories are. Im sure cutting down on carbs has benefits, but if you are eating at your mainentence calories (approx 2700 for you), you won’t lose weight. If you are stuck at a weight for 2 weeks, lower your calories and add in cardio. Plain old walking can burn 200-300 colories per hour. I just wouldn’t get too hung up on cutting carbs only. You won’t lose if you are eating 3000 colories of protein.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 30 Jul 2019, 08:41:25

@Tire - that’s systemic thinking, not all can do that. Good on you.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 30 Jul 2019, 13:03:04

@Armageddon You are making an argument that I've never made. I've always said it's calorie deficit that results in weight loss. What I am saying is that low carb diets work in people who can't/won't lose weight under strict portion control. For whatever reason low carb results in less hunger pains between meals. People eat more when they are hungry.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Wed 31 Jul 2019, 01:05:17

I learned about the Maritime legend of Meow Man, so you can all SUk MA BAG.

https://boatjobsonly.com/the-maritime-legend-of-meow-man
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Wed 31 Jul 2019, 05:42:16

careinke wrote:I learned about the Maritime legend of Meow Man, so you can all SUk MA BAG.

https://boatjobsonly.com/the-maritime-legend-of-meow-man

Sounds like the stuff will make you a Sexual Tyrannosaurus just like me...................I wish :cry:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Sat 10 Aug 2019, 04:17:41

Our wheatland had it's highest winter wheat production in 120 years. 111.2 Bushels per acre. Not bad for dry land farming in Eastern Oregon. Our old sharecropper retired this year at 84, his son replaced him. My wife's cousins are probably the most educated sharecroppers ever.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 13 Aug 2019, 07:34:39

Good Morning everyone. It’s a lovely morning here. It’s good to be alive.

No back to our normal programming! LOL
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 01 Sep 2019, 13:52:04

Some summer projects, playing with photo posting.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion