Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Anti-Americanism growing in Russia

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Anti-Americanism growing in Russia

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 29 May 2014, 02:49:11

Thoughtful, balanced article from Voice of America:

Americans in Moscow Feel Chill in US-Russia Relations

"There is a lot of propaganda on Russian TV. And people's opinions changed. People who before felt good about Americans, they started to get bad ideas, wrong ideas. [There should be] Somebody in the correct role, who could talk at a high level, and stop some of that," said Karash.

Some American men asked U.S. diplomats about visas for their Russian girlfriends, but Alex Geller worried about a different kind of Visa.

In reprisal for American sanctions, Russia's parliament passed legislation that threatens to drive Visa and MasterCard, which have about 30 million Russian credit-card accounts, out of business in Russia.

Here is Geller, managing partner of an Internet company in Moscow:

"Can you imagine? You have to go to the doctor, you have to grab the cash. You have to go to any store, you have to grab cash. You want to a buy a ticket online, you cannot do that," said Geller.

It now looks like Russia will come up with a solution that will allow the American credit companies to stay.

Phil, an American lawyer, said he has lived here for a decade. Since the Ukraine crisis, he says, it is difficult to have normal conversations with Russian friends.

"I have opted to keep my mouth shut. I am not good that. But I keep more friends that way," said Phil.

Americans say they are coping with an abrupt change in mood.

Pujan Kasaju has worked in real estate finance here for two years:

"There were always questions: What's it like to live in America? Why did you come to Russia from America? Why would you leave a great country like America? Now it's like, What the hell are you guys doing? There is a sense of disenchantment," said Kasaju.

Tit-for-tat

No Americans interviewed said they have suffered harassment. But Kasaju saw photos on the Russian Internet showing hand-made signs on food kiosks and ice cream stands.

"'Americans are not allowed to buy our products, because we have enacted our own sanctions.' So, it's like a big joke. But maybe there is some half-seriousness to it," he said.

Several Americans blamed Washington for misreading Russian psychology. For the last 12 years, Marilyn Murray has shuttled between Arizona and Moscow. Here she teaches trauma therapy to Russian health-care professionals.

Because of Russia's flat geography, she says, it has often been invaded. As a result, Russians defend themselves by relying on the fear factor.

"They have had to establish a fearsome image to keep their predators away. And so, even if you look at what their symbol is. It is this bear, this huge Russian bear, that says, 'Fear me! If you don't respect and fear me, I am going to eat you!'
They have had to do that for centuries for self-protection," said Murray.

Murray says Washington made a mistake by not, at least, faking fear of Russia.

"When U.S. government officials make a comment that Russia is no longer a threat, they act dismissive toward them, as though they are irrelevant, they are immaterial, they are not important - insignificant, inconsequential, just don't matter any more. Number one, it is very scary for a Russian [to realize] 'Oh, these people no longer fear us.' But the other thing that is really, really important - that many people don't realize - is how much they take that personally," she said.

For Americans living in Moscow, Russia can seem suddenly unfriendly and unprofitable. But friendliness was the treatment received by one American visitor tracked down for an interview in the halls of the old Soviet Army Museum.

Christopher Arndt was visiting Moscow from Pennsylvania:

"I had a gentleman just today, when I was standing looking kind of clueless, with the map in front of my face, offer to drive me over to the museum, because he couldn't quite explain it in English. And I sure could not understand him in Russian," said Arndt.

During this tourist season, Arndt's experience may be a rarity. Tourism professionals say the chill in Russia's relations with the West will cut American and European visitors here by at least 30 percent this year.
http://www.voanews.com/content/americans-in-moscow-feel-chill-in-us-russia-relations/1924554.html

You know, I get that analogy about the bear:

"They have had to establish a fearsome image to keep their predators away. And so, even if you look at what their symbol is. It is this bear, this huge Russian bear, that says, 'Fear me! If you don't respect and fear me, I am going to eat you!'[/b] They have had to do that for centuries for self-protection," said Murray.

So what she is saying is that Obama makes a mistake in being *dismissive* to Russia, and calling it a "regional power threatening some of its neighbors," and being utterly disinterested in Russia.

So they want respect. They need to be feared to feel safe, and it's just a grumpy bear that won't really bite it just wants you to be scared. :?:

My opinion: that's all well and good, but you cannot go annexing places in 2014. You just can't and I don't care who you are, China or Russia or Iraq or whomever.

The US can't go around doing that, and neither can Russia. It's an international law thing, it's a global order thing. Also, you can't just go and let Iran have nuclear weapons. It's not responsible. Putin is like a bull in a china shop just breaking things, he'd get more respect for Russia if he were *genuinely* interested in keeping nukes out of the middle east, etc. And not just playing chess.

So I get the Russian psychology thing, but still, you can make the same arguments about middle eastern cultures or North Koreans and blah blah and on and on but at the end of the day, all nations have to abide by international law and can't bully their neighbors and it just be okay because "that's just how they are."

As for the need to be feared.. they really just have to get over the loss of empire. And nobody is ever going to invade them, that is just silly. The Brits had to transition away from the British Empire. We in the US will as well eventually, gracefully, without carrying some chip on our shoulder for the next seventy years over it. International law has to be upheld, and Russia is a major arms dealer in the world and has the #2 nuclear stockpile and capacity to build nuke plants and enable an Iran to go nuclear -- psychology and feelings and emotion aside, what Russia does in its foreign policy matters.

If they're just annexing and rolling their army up on borders and not being genuine about getting Assad's chem weapons out of Syria, and keeping nukes away from Iran, then what else can the West do? You can't just ignore it all and chalk it up to Russia needing to be feared.

Why are they so special, moreso than anyone else. :?: Western nations actually have what used to be called "sovietologists," now called "kremlinologists" -- academics whose sole work is just understanding Russia, or trying to, for goodness sake.

All I know is.. if a Russian can emigrate to America and fit in great and love it here, then why can't they get along with their Euro neighbors, why are they still so xenophobic, why are they still so susceptable to their nationalists whipping them up. ??

They are European. It's 2014. Nobody is going to invade them. Their TV gave them a bunch of propaganda about Ukraine. They got all whipped up. And now Putin is backing off of it, leaving his own media and the east Ukrainian separatists in the lurch.

The elections were a success. The new president isn't a nazi, but rather, a founding member of the Party of Regions (yanu's party). That's democracy, count the votes and have a constitution and stick to it, that's all anyone expected.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Anti-Americanism growing in Russia

Unread postby Strummer » Thu 29 May 2014, 03:35:07

Don't you ever get tired of posting your endless rants about a region that you obviously have no clue about?

Regarding Crimea: it wasn't "annexed". It is an autonomous republic, with its own government and parliament, which decided to secede and become independent from its current state. As an autonomous republic, that is a perfectly legal thing to do, according to international law, confirmed by the Kosovo precedent. After that, as an independent republic, it decided to join the Russian federation of republics. Again, a fully legal step.

As for the anti-americanism, it's growing all around the world, and has been, for the last 50 years, if you haven't noticed. The reason being this one sentence from your article:

What the hell are you guys doing?
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Simon_R » Thu 29 May 2014, 04:08:21

I am living in france and in my region can honestly say I have not noticed a rise in anti-Americanism.
I reckon the people who dislike the US will always dislike it and just find new excuses (just ask Makati).

however

You can annex something in 2014, after all Russia just did (unless it was a cessation)
International law is pretty much a joke (always has been).
Putin can give the bomb to whoever he likes (whether he should or not is a different issue).
If we must uphold democracy shouldn't we invade Egypt and re-install Morsi ... or was that bad democracy ?
Simon_R
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby americandream » Thu 29 May 2014, 04:45:22

Simon_R wrote:I am living in france and in my region can honestly say I have not noticed a rise in anti-Americanism.
I reckon the people who dislike the US will always dislike it and just find new excuses (just ask Makati).

however

You can annex something in 2014, after all Russia just did (unless it was a cessation)
International law is pretty much a joke (always has been).
Putin can give the bomb to whoever he likes (whether he should or not is a different issue).
If we must uphold democracy shouldn't we invade Egypt and re-install Morsi ... or was that bad democracy ?

Iraq
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby radon1 » Thu 29 May 2014, 05:24:53

We have just helped killing a number of your compatriots. And, by the way, now we have some criticism for you as well.

And, besides, how come you dislike us.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Thu 29 May 2014, 05:35:44

All this psychology is just bs. Anyone with half a brain would know that Russia wouldn't let it's only Black Sea port go without a fight.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 29 May 2014, 06:13:49

Quinny wrote:All this psychology is just bs. Anyone with half a brain would know that Russia wouldn't let it's only Black Sea port go without a fight.

This, especially the half brain part.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 29 May 2014, 08:25:11

Quinny wrote:All this psychology is just bs. Anyone with half a brain would know that Russia wouldn't let it's only Black Sea port go without a fight.

This is really the heart of the matter. How it could cross anyone's mind that we could exclude Russia from Sevastopol and not find them willing to go "to the wall" with everything on the table, is just baffling.

You know what's worth starting and fighting World War III over?
Crimea
And we put it in jeopardy.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Paulo1 » Thu 29 May 2014, 09:38:04

re statement: "I have opted to keep my mouth shut. I am not good that. But I keep more friends that way," said Phil.

Good advice. I remember an American friend of my family visiting us back in the 70's. We went out for supper and he embarrassed us mightily by going on and on about how the waiter would not accept 'American dollars", and why American Dollars were not used in Canada?

In the 90's, when the US imposed softwood lumber tariffs to restrict our exports (despite NAFTA), I suggested one summer that if my sister visited with her WA plates she might find her car vandalized.

This is nothing new. No one likes bullies. If you want people to like you it is probably best not to take their stuff away, affect their livlihood, or shoot their relatives. Pretty much a no-brainer.

Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby BobInget » Thu 29 May 2014, 12:41:06

Attention! US passport holder travelers:

"Get your Canadian Maple Leaf decals, cloth patches and temporary tattoos right here"

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-Your-Own-Temporary-Tattoo

Oh, don't expect any 'real' tattoo to fade in six months or six years.
http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/a/aa032103a.htm

It might help to actually visit Canada or at least watch a hockey game before running off to Hermitage.
BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GregT » Thu 29 May 2014, 13:47:14

Thoughtful, balanced article from Voice of America

:roll:

Their TV gave them a bunch of propaganda about Ukraine.

Must….Keep…. Drinking….the Kool-Aid…..
GregT
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 29 May 2014, 17:10:57

Strummer wrote:Don't you ever get tired of posting your endless rants about a region that you obviously have no clue about?

Russia made sense to me, before Putin. Post Putin? I admit, it doesn't make sense.

Strummer, a lot of people can't understand Russia. Do some google searches. You'll see all kinds of articles written by Westerner's struggling to "understand Russia." It's not just me.

Nobody has to sit there and struggle to "understand" Poland, or the Czech Republic, or Latvians. So what is it about Russia. :?: I'm not buying it that they are so fundamentally different than everyone else. As if there's a future in that, anyway, I mean come on here what's the point of Russia pulling away when even Chinese LOVE their kentucky fried chicken and American products and Euro products and American / euro looking houses.

As culturally different as Chinese are, genuinely not European and genuinely very different, you don't see them going on about how they aren't Western.

There's no future in fighting the West. It's the global culture. Even the middle east is going there, slowly, over time.

Regarding Crimea: it wasn't "annexed". It is an autonomous republic, with its own government and parliament, which decided to secede and become independent from its current state. As an autonomous republic, that is a perfectly legal thing to do, according to international law, confirmed by the Kosovo precedent. After that, as an independent republic, it decided to join the Russian federation of republics. Again, a fully legal step.

You're making legal technicality arguments. Quebec has a special autonomous status in Canada too, doesn't mean France could meddle and annex the place.

For that matter, the Russian Federation has autonomous places -- would they want a neighbor to annex them? No. Obviously not.

Getting back on topic -- Americans living in Russia are sensing rising anti-American attitudes. As if Russian people are blaming them for these very mild sanctions.

What the Russian people should understand is that their government is going to face pushback in the world, if it continues trying, with force, to build a Greater Russia. If this keeps up, like messing with Moldova next as they try to sign that EU deal, and if Russia starts messing in Estonia or something -- then there is going to be pushback, and that's not Americans' fault, these are Russia's overt actions.

If they just wanted a trade union and got people to sign willingly, then that's different. Annexation is something else. Anyhow it's all moot, Putin is backing off, for a lot of different reasons.

What do you think about those Ukrainian elections? They went just fine, didn't they? And no nazi elected, but Party of Regions?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 29 May 2014, 17:25:09

Paulo1 wrote:This is nothing new. No one likes bullies. If you want people to like you it is probably best not to take their stuff away, affect their livlihood, or shoot their relatives. Pretty much a no-brainer.

Crimea is there's now, but at the time they took it -- it wasn't "their stuff."

It's you guys that have all drunk koolaid. If even Boris Yeltsin back in the 90s said it would be crazy to try to take just the city of Sevastopol from Ukraine, then I don't see how it's sane now so many years later.

Even Yeltsin recognized Ukraine as separate and Crimea a part of it.

Nobody has convinced me that things have changed from Yeltsin to now, other than the simple fact that those nationalists Yeltsin opposed came to total power under Putin.

We all know Russia is going to get to keep Crimea, that's settled, going forward they just can't keep doing this again and again or there is going to be pushback. Real sanctions. Stock market crashes. Crashing ruble. If this deal with China is about being free to re-conquer east europe then sorry, that's not going to be allowed either.

Russia ought to just be happy to be the largest country in the world, with so many natural resources, and plenty of space to internally develop for a good fifty years. Be a big happy Canada. US has ethnic Russians here too, if they don't like the US the answer isn't for Russia to annex Brooklyn.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Kylon » Sat 31 May 2014, 20:15:00

From my understanding of realpolitics, no nation can have absolutely security unless the other nation(s) have absolute insecurity, unless you have a completely co-dependent economic structure.

The chance to setup a co-dependent economic structure was totally blown in the 90s, when vulture capitalist looted Russia, and bought large amounts of the Russian people's national wealth that they had created over the period of the Soviet Union.

Without a co-dependent economic system being established(or able to be established) due to the attempt to turn Russia into a vassal state/colony, and it effectively being looted by bad actors in the west(and certain groups in Russia), then the normal rules of realpolitics(your increased security decreases my security) applied.

When the United States pushed for a coup in Ukraine (to remove the democratically elected government their for a puppet government) that threatened both Russia's warm water port in the Crimea, and the intentions by the United States to put a missile shield in Ukraine(thus negating Russia's second strike nuclear capability), this created an existential threat in Russia.

It created a situation where Russia had to fight back, to regain control of it's port in the Crimea, or effectively not have a navy that could operate all year round.

If the missile shield made Russia's nukes no longer a threat to the United States, the United States could bully, and possible invade Russia.

Also the Ukraine has traditionally served as a buffer from invaders for Russia.

Given how the Russians were exploited by westerners in the 90s, the anarchy, death, starvation they suffered (they lost from the collapse of the Soviet Union to now about half their population), you can see why the Russians have no interest in becoming a vassal state.

Do you understand things better now?

Basically the same kind of abusive tactics that the ruling class and oligarchs have used on other countries they used on Russia, and of course when you do that, there is ALWAYS a backlash.

Hopefully Americans won't have to pay for the actions of oligarchs, but usually oligarchs have a way of making the people under them fight wars to protect their wealth and investments(like American bankers did during World War I).
Kylon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Sat 31 May 2014, 22:36:18

The Soviets served as a countewight, socio-economically to England (the Chinese have always sought to link their fortunes with capitalists). With the end of communism, there are no real challenges to England's march to complete domincation of this planet, socio-economically. The USA is merely her aircraft carrier.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Strummer » Sun 01 Jun 2014, 08:43:59

Sixstrings wrote:Quebec has a special autonomous status in Canada too, doesn't mean France could meddle and annex the place.

Thank you for the perfect example. Quebec could of course become independent, if its citizen should so decide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_referendum,_1995

After that, it could decide to join France in a newly established federation. If you think it couldn't, can you explain, what precisely would it be that could stop them from doing so?
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby basil_hayden » Sun 01 Jun 2014, 09:40:43

Kylon wrote:From my understanding of realpolitics, no nation can have absolutely security unless the other nation(s) have absolute insecurity, unless you have a completely co-dependent economic structure.

The chance to setup a co-dependent economic structure was totally blown in the 90s, when vulture capitalist looted Russia, and bought large amounts of the Russian people's national wealth that they had created over the period of the Soviet Union.

Without a co-dependent economic system being established(or able to be established) due to the attempt to turn Russia into a vassal state/colony, and it effectively being looted by bad actors in the west(and certain groups in Russia), then the normal rules of realpolitics(your increased security decreases my security) applied.

When the United States pushed for a coup in Ukraine (to remove the democratically elected government their for a puppet government) that threatened both Russia's warm water port in the Crimea, and the intentions by the United States to put a missile shield in Ukraine(thus negating Russia's second strike nuclear capability), this created an existential threat in Russia.

It created a situation where Russia had to fight back, to regain control of it's port in the Crimea, or effectively not have a navy that could operate all year round.

If the missile shield made Russia's nukes no longer a threat to the United States, the United States could bully, and possible invade Russia.

Also the Ukraine has traditionally served as a buffer from invaders for Russia.

Given how the Russians were exploited by westerners in the 90s, the anarchy, death, starvation they suffered (they lost from the collapse of the Soviet Union to now about half their population), you can see why the Russians have no interest in becoming a vassal state.

Do you understand things better now?

Basically the same kind of abusive tactics that the ruling class and oligarchs have used on other countries they used on Russia, and of course when you do that, there is ALWAYS a backlash.

Hopefully Americans won't have to pay for the actions of oligarchs, but usually oligarchs have a way of making the people under them fight wars to protect their wealth and investments(like American bankers did during World War I).

Good to see you around Kylon. I disagree with most of what you have stated, about as strongly as our impending receipt of loads of liquid hydrocarbons imported from Titan. I do agree that what you presented may be what the average Russian perceives at this point in the game.

But the reality is different. Tons of Western cash went to Russia after the Soviet collapse. Corruption misdirected a significant portion. The switch was made via propaganda that it was the West, not the corrupt Russian corporation and government heads, that were the root of all problems. Sochi was the frosting; now it's been served, and if it works in the West's favor that Russia re-establishes its traditional sphere of influence then that's what will be allowed to happen. If not, the Russian people will have some hard decisions to make, I think.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Sun 01 Jun 2014, 11:20:10

basil_hayden wrote:Tons of Western cash went to Russia after the Soviet collapse. Corruption misdirected a significant portion. The switch was made via propaganda that it was the West, not the corrupt Russian corporation and government heads, that were the root of all problems.

This explanation is as good as any conspirology. "Some evil people plotted to misdirect good deeds of the West". What was good about your "reforms", if a handful of "corrupted government heads" were able to misdirect it so easily? In fact, Russia's incorporation into the world's commercial system was made on very (and unnecessarily so) unfavorable terms for the Russian population, and very favorable terms for the "west" (whoever these were), and saying that the ensuing plight of the population was a result of "local corruption" is an empty talk.

In relation to the current crisis ("Ukranian"): this is primarily an inter-elite clash. Humpty-dumpties (the western "elite") are running out of good positions to place themselves in, obviously. There have been a number of reports recently of that banker shot dead, this trader committing suicide etc. Their numbers are now in dozens if not hundreds. These people are on the fringes, but they probably show the trend that the pie is shrinking. Whether because of energy crisis, or closure of QE or else. Biden's heir moocher has to take a position in a third tier Ukrainian gas producer, whose resource base is sitting under the besieged town of Slovyansk - looks like the situation is getting desperate indeed (for the humpty-dumpties).

And if you look at the humpty-dumpties, they are not probably very different from the Saudi royal family. The only difference is that they are probably much larger and do not gain as much publicity. And they are growing. They need to find a place for Lord This, and that Countess That, and son of that, and the guy who shared lunch with the son of that, and the girl who escorted him, and so on and so forth. And not all of them can afford "doing nothing", most have to occupy some position and "exercise judgement" or do something alike (be "hard-working" moochers essentially).

And now you have Putin+ sitting on a number of lucrative positions that are exactly what they would need. In the past they have tried plain-faced to simply treat Putin+ as servants - if the trick worked, they would simply remove Putin+ from their positions as need arose - but the trick didn't work, Putin+ told them that this was funny, but only as a joke. Putin himself has always complained about attempts at being treated as a servant.

For a while humpty-dumpties tolerated it, as things were going OK and there was enough place for everyone. But not any longer - the limits have presumably been hit.

The fact that Ukraine happened to be the current location of this clash is not of principal importance. There is no other better place to initiate the intrusion than via Ukraine. Hence the sanctions have little to do with Ukraine - they would be in place anyway, under another guise, since this has already been a process in the making.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 01 Jun 2014, 22:20:41

Strummer wrote:If you think it couldn't, can you explain, what precisely would it be that could stop them from doing so?

Monroe Doctrine says Europeans can't expand into the Western Hemisphere:

We owe it, therefore, to candor and to the amicable relations existing between the United States and those powers to declare that we should consider any attempt on their part to extend their system to any portion of this hemisphere as dangerous to our peace and safety. With the existing colonies or dependencies of any European power we have not interfered and shall not interfere.

But with the Governments who have declared their independence and maintained it, and whose independence we have, on great consideration and on just principles, acknowledged, we could not view any interposition for the purpose of oppressing them, or controlling in any other manner their destiny, by any European power in any other light than as the manifestation of an unfriendly disposition toward the United States.

Strumm.. France wouldn't annex Quebec.. because France is a democracy. Democracies just don't do that. Hard right totalitarian nationalist places are the ones that annex, and stir up separatists.

Would make for some good speculative fiction though, that's a good novel right there, like the French National Front gaining power in France and stirring up the quebecois and pulling a Putin in Canada.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 02 Jun 2014, 09:19:15

radon1 wrote:And now you have Putin+ sitting on a number of lucrative positions that are exactly what they would need. In the past they have tried plain-faced to simply treat Putin+ as servants - if the trick worked, they would simply remove Putin+ from their positions as need arose - but the trick didn't work, Putin+ told them that this was funny, but only as a joke. Putin himself has always complained about attempts at being treated as a servant.

So instead of being a puppet to Bilderbergs, Putin is the pawn. Dumbass.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics