Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

If there is massive oil left to be found, where?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

If there is massive oil left to be found, where?

Unread postby Whitecrab » Fri 18 Jun 2004, 13:03:24

Based on what I've been reading, the last possible areas of REAL growth are:

1) Half of Iraq's not been looked over, so there's plenty of potential there.
2) Deep-sea drilling (with great great cost).
3) Maybe maybe Saudi Arabia?
4) Expansion of Alberta Tar sands, and perhaps they could finally get shale oil going.

Can anyone expand on these points (with data, perhaps) or provide more growth areas I've missed?

I don't think these will save us from the peak, no, but it helps you look savvy when you can respond to someone's "we'll find more oil though!" protests by saying exactly what's left untested. And of those, which routes will definately cost a lot more, and which are politically unstable. :twisted:
"Our forces are now closer to the center of Baghdad than most American commuters are to their downtown office."
--Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, April 2003
Whitecrab
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby pip » Fri 18 Jun 2004, 13:19:40

Why has half of Iraq not been looked over? That's hard to believe.
pip
Coal
Coal

More oil

Unread postby Doctor Doom » Fri 18 Jun 2004, 13:34:37

You forgot Venezuela's very large endowment of heavy crude, much of which can be economically extracted even today (and that's also energy ROI positive).

As for Iraq and the ME generally not being as well explored, that is true, and the reason is that for decades they have had way more production capacity than world demand, and the cheapest production costs in the world, so there has been no incentive to look for any more oil.

Finally, there is the possibility of squeezing more out of existing fields. We are getting 30-45% of the oil out of current finds, the rest just stays in the ground because we don't have the technology to recover it quickly enough. There are people testing things like seeding fields with bacteria that will break down heavier oils and allow them to flow more freely, possibly boosting recovery by another 5-10%

The best argument against "we'll find more" is that the consequences of being wrong are too serious to just "gamble". Ask them, would they fly across an ocean on an airplane that had a broken fuel gauge where the pilot bangs on the wing tanks and says it "sounds like there's probably emough fuel" to make it to the destination?
Doctor Doom

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 18 Jun 2004, 13:48:01

My geologist seismic buddy tells me the sweet-spots in SA are swiss cheese. They have drilled them like crazy.

It's the less attractive sites that have had little attention, largely because experts feel that chances of significant finds in these unexplored regions are low.

I understand that Iraq was just poorly managed and we may find some undiscovered fields there.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Re: More oil

Unread postby Whitecrab » Fri 18 Jun 2004, 23:21:40

Doctor Doom wrote:You forgot Venezuela's very large endowment of heavy crude, much of which can be economically extracted even today (and that's also energy ROI positive).

Oh yeah, thanks.

Finally, there is the possibility of squeezing more out of existing fields. We are getting 30-45% of the oil out of current finds, the rest just stays in the ground because we don't have the technology to recover it quickly enough. There are people testing things like seeding fields with bacteria that will break down heavier oils and allow them to flow more freely, possibly boosting recovery by another 5-10%

Funny, my uncle who's an oil engineer said "currently the average recovery is 20-30% of the original oil in place (OOIP)... " that that cash and technology could increase that a lot. Do you have a source for those numbers, by chance? (Just so I can make a pitch to him).

The best argument against "we'll find more" is that the consequences of being wrong are too serious to just "gamble". Ask them, would they fly across an ocean on an airplane that had a broken fuel gauge where the pilot bangs on the wing tanks and says it "sounds like there's probably emough fuel" to make it to the destination?

Alternate: Due to exponential growth, even if oil doubled past our experts best guesses, it'd still be only 25 (or less) years off. And things like the automobile took 10 years to get introduced, so if we want to wean off, we still need to get cracking. NOW.
"Our forces are now closer to the center of Baghdad than most American commuters are to their downtown office."
--Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, April 2003
Whitecrab
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby hymalaia » Sat 19 Jun 2004, 01:33:13

Thinking maybe we should throw Alaska into this. Does anyone have any idea what's lurking underneath the arctic wildlife refuge?

Of course there is the question of weather or not we have moral authority to drill there. But that seems like a topic for another thread..
hymalaia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Chicagoan » Sat 19 Jun 2004, 03:56:35

What about Antarctica? I know there is a treaty, but if people become desporate enough? Did it ever have the potential for oil formation in the geological past?
Chicagoan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby gg3 » Sat 19 Jun 2004, 19:50:45

I think it's fair to include Alaska and other ecologically sensitive areas in the mix. All-factors-in, the costs of minimizing the ecological impacts of extraction are known and predictable. The risk issues of Middle Eastern extraction involve potentially very high costs that could escalate in a nonlinear manner.

Good analogy about flying across the ocean in a plane with a broken fuel gauge.
gg3
Expert
Expert

Re: If there is massive oil left to be found, where?

Unread postby Ender » Sat 19 Jun 2004, 20:29:45

Whitecrab wrote:1) Half of Iraq's not been looked over, so there's plenty of potential there.
2) Deep-sea drilling (with great great cost).
3) Maybe maybe Saudi Arabia?
4) Expansion of Alberta Tar sands, and perhaps they could finally get shale oil going.

1. I wouldn't say plenty of potential. Remember, the giant fields, particularly onshore, are always found first, so we are not going to find another Ghawar lurking under Iraq. Finds there will be small and will not offset the decline elsewhere given that they will take time to develop. Of course Iraq has some known but undeveloped fields. It will take time to develop them, and I'd question whether that can be done in time.

2) There's not that much deep sea drilling to be done: again, the areas of significant potential have already been identified. And as you say it's expensive and slow going.

3) Doubt it. They keep their cards close to their chest, but they're pretty much producing full speed now. Ghawar is aging, maybe dying, and any new development they can do will just make up the depletion they're facing elsewhere.

4) No way. North America is in deep s*** with regard to its gas reserves, and they can't afford to keep burning all that gas to extract that oil. They'll have to build a nuclear reactor to provide the necessary heat and energy, and that will take some time.

There *might* be some oil to be had in the polar regions, but it's not likely to be a lot.
Ender
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JLK » Wed 23 Jun 2004, 11:23:48

1. Arctic offshore
2. Central Siberia
3. South China Sea
www.searchingforthetruth.com

The truth that is suppressed by friends is the readiest weapon of the enemy.
- Robert Louis Stevenson
JLK
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lowem » Sun 25 Jul 2004, 23:29:22

Not to forget that a discovery of 100 billion barrels will move the peak by maybe a year. That's umm, maybe 2 Ghawar's?
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RIPSmithianEconomics » Mon 26 Jul 2004, 04:07:15

lowem wrote:Not to forget that a discovery of 100 billion barrels will move the peak by maybe a year. That's umm, maybe 2 Ghawar's?

Let's say hypothetically that at our current rate we are going to peak in 2008. By according to you (I have no idea how credible your research is, but from what I know it sounds about right), to reach the oil companies' claim of a peak in 2035 we would have to find 34 Ghawar's worth of oil!
There'll be war, there'll be peace
But one day all things shall cease
All the iron turned to rust
All the proud men turned to dust
So all things time will mend
So this song will end
RIPSmithianEconomics
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby smiley » Mon 26 Jul 2004, 09:34:26

Ehmm.... Mars?

No seriously over 90% of Saudi Arabia's oil was discovered before 1950. That was well before the 3d seismic. The same applies to Iraq.

If you look at the following maps of the region you can see why. All the oilfields in the region are part of one geological superstructure. Thats why all the oilfields in Iran run in the same parallel direction. They are not that hard to find.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_e ... elds78.jpg

http://web.inetba.com/gregcroftinc/imag ... map_sm.jpg

http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/Asse ... s_1992.jpg

If you look at the oil field distribution the chance of finding a very large oilfield outside the explored region is very slim.

It also shows that expat some smaller fields all the Iraqi oilfield are currently in production.

Iraq still has a large production potential, but it's never going to be a second Saudi Arabia. It is never going to produce 10 mbd, not even half of that.
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JackBob » Tue 07 Sep 2004, 12:27:28

Whitecrab wrote:Based on what I've been reading, the last possible areas of REAL growth are:...
Can anyone expand on these points (with data, perhaps) or provide more growth areas I've missed?

A company called Cairn Energy has just made a very large strike in India and feels there is more there as well. It was reported in last Sunday's Times of London. Will try to add a link later.

JackBob
JackBob
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JackBob » Wed 08 Sep 2004, 06:01:15

JackBob wrote:
Whitecrab wrote:Based on what I've been reading, the last possible areas of REAL growth are:...

A company called Cairn Energy has just made a very large strike in India and feels there is more there as well. It was reported in last Sunday's Times of London. Will try to add a link later.

JackBob

Ah yes Sunday Times Business Section page 6 for September 5: Cairn Energy has found 1 billion barrel field in Rajasthan - Shell had owned the field but sold it to them thinking nothing was there. Even the geological oil experts are sometimes wrong. They are also having some luck in Nepal.

And for all you folks who love the conspiracy theories, the CEO Bill Gammell was a childhood friend of - gasp! - President George W Bush and Tony Blair.

JackBob
JackBob
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 10 Sep 2004, 00:24:45

JackBob wrote:
JackBob wrote:

JackBob

Ah yes Sunday Times Business Section page 6 for September 5: Cairn Energy has found 1 billion barrel field in Rajasthan - Shell had owned the field but sold it to them thinking nothing was there. Even the geological oil experts are sometimes wrong. They are also having some luck in Nepal.

And for all you folks who love the conspiracy theories, the CEO Bill Gammell was a childhood friend of - gasp! - President George W Bush and Tony Blair.

JackBob

Here:
UK firm Cairn discovers vast oil reserves in India
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.as ... ueID=27172

they're saying "between 100 and 320 million barrels".

That's 30 hours to 4 days of world consumption.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby pea-jay » Fri 10 Sep 2004, 01:40:09

What about Antarctica? I know there is a treaty, but if people become desporate enough? Did it ever have the potential for oil formation in the geological past?

Not too promising. From what I remember, Antarctica was out of geological position to accumulate much of the biomass that the other continents saw 100 million odd years ago. Without that source oil creation would be limited. Then add to that the ice cap that is nearly 2 miles thick in places, extreme cold temps and utter isolation, any potential find would face huge economic obstacles. Forget for a moment any potential operation would consume more energy than it would yield.
UNplanning the future...
http://unplanning.blogspot.com
pea-jay
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

new fields

Unread postby Such » Wed 15 Sep 2004, 11:17:56

my understanding is that there is some new fields in Khazakstan and central/east Siberia, central Asia, some in Mexico's portion of the Gulf of Mexico, Greenland has been mentioned, little bits in Africa here and there, as well as some areas of the Antartic shelf... (probably very expensive, and useful only to anage the post-peak world)

I doubt that there are any Ghawir fields left.
Such

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics