Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tree Farms

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Tree Farms

Unread postby RG73 » Sat 21 May 2005, 21:34:20

{This thread was created by Tyler_JC out of the smoking wreckage of another thread about Fuel Cells. The Flame War was banished to http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic8196.html The Tree Farm thread is now on http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic8195.html
This thread is about the viability of tree farms with regards to their ability to produce enough methanol for fuel cells.}

DriveElectric wrote:
0mar wrote:BiGG, what exactly is your background?

Methanol is derived from methane or crude oil. Hydrogen is derived primarily from coal/methane/oil in one way or another.

One of the reasons methanol fuel cells have potential is because methanol can be produced from biomass/wood.

So basically you're saying we should continue with deforestation and poor agricultural practices (to farm the biomass) so that you can keep driving your car?

Who cares if fuel cells are even viable? Is suburban sprawl viable? No. Is everyone in the world having a car viable? No. Oh yeah, and can you make asphalt from fuel cells? No. We drive on roads made from oil in case you forgot.

What is with this obsession with alternative fuels to continue the same stupid thing we're engaged in now (e.g. driving, sprawl and waste)? Alternative fuels for trains, great. For public transportation, great. For shipping products that need to be moved from point A to point B, great. So you can drive a car, not so great.

It doesn't matter one way or another what you power your car with, car culture is not sustainable. Your feet are your friends, use them.
RG73
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Starvid » Sun 22 May 2005, 08:46:53

RG73 wrote:
DriveElectric wrote:

Methanol is derived from methane or crude oil. Hydrogen is derived primarily from coal/methane/oil in one way or another.

One of the reasons methanol fuel cells have potential is because methanol can be produced from biomass/wood.

So basically you're saying we should continue with deforestation and poor agricultural practices (to farm the biomass) so that you can keep driving your car?

Who cares if fuel cells are even viable? Is suburban sprawl viable? No. Is everyone in the world having a car viable? No. Oh yeah, and can you make asphalt from fuel cells? No. We drive on roads made from oil in case you forgot.

What is with this obsession with alternative fuels to continue the same stupid thing we're engaged in now (e.g. driving, sprawl and waste)? Alternative fuels for trains, great. For public transportation, great. For shipping products that need to be moved from point A to point B, great. So you can drive a car, not so great.

It doesn't matter one way or another what you power your car with, car culture is not sustainable. Your feet are your friends, use them.
You really have no idea what forestry is like, do you? After trees are chopped down you let them regrow. If you don't do that there will be no trees left in xx years. So you let them regrow.

God damn it.

Read my thread on dimetyl ether. http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic8103.html
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DriveElectric » Sun 22 May 2005, 08:53:58

RG73 wrote:
DriveElectric wrote:

Forests are renewable. Didn't you know that?

And it is not for my car. It is for my Vectrix Fuel Cell (methanol) scooter.
DriveElectric
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby BiGG » Sun 22 May 2005, 09:12:36

DriveElectric wrote:

It does get tiring seeing the tree huggers complaining about others doing the same thing to their forests the United States & Europe did years ago. If others want to cut their forests it’s really none of our business. On that note, here is a quote from another thread ……………….

More prudent planning would be set aside some old growth forest for nostalgic purposes and plant something that creates value like the conifers that surround me and are cut/replanted every 12-15 years or hybrid poplars that can reach 60’ in six years. The new world is all about bio-everything instead of dirty, filthy, extremely-environmentally-unfriendly, cancer-and-other-health-problem-causing antiquated oil.

Wanna see how cool hybrid poplars are?

Hybrid Poplar Facts:

•Hybrid Poplars are used for solid wood, pulp and plywood production.

•Hybrid poplars can produce between 4 and 10 dry tons of wood per acre per year.

• Hybrid poplar trees can grow to a height of 60 feet in as little as six years.
"The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil" ............ Former Saudi Arabian oil minister Sheikh Zaki Yamani,
BiGG
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RG73 » Sun 22 May 2005, 12:56:20

DriveElectric wrote:
RG73 wrote:
DriveElectric wrote:

No, tree farms are renewable. Forests are not. And you could just as easily bike. I fail to see the need to chop down a tree so you can ride a scooter around when a bike will suffice.
RG73
Peat
Peat

Unread postby RG73 » Sun 22 May 2005, 13:17:01

It does get tiring seeing the tree huggers complaining about others doing the same thing to their forests the United States & Europe did years ago. If others want to cut their forests it’s really none of our business.

It wasn't a bright idea when we did it and it doesn't make it a bright idea when someone else does it. Nevermind that you are simplifying the issue. Why are forests generally being cut down in other countries? One reason, obviously, is for fuel. Instead of fostering energy alternatives in these countries, we're letting them burn huge amounts of their resources up in smoke. And yes, it is totally our business when smoke from massive fires in Southeast Asia, and its unhealthy particulates, crosses the Pacific and adds to our pollution woes. Nevermind that added CO2.

What is the second reason these countries are cutting down their forests at alarming rates? Usually to pay off foreign debt. Selling old growth trees to first world consumers. Destroying the remaining land by either planting monoculture megafarms to sell stuff back to us (like soybeans, or coffee, etc.), or by grazing it with cattle to sell back to us. So in the end this is not a sustainable process. These countries are selling off their natural capital to feed first world nations and money is not going back into the collective coffers. So they're going to have destroyed forests, no topsoil, no money and no fuel source. And why you think this is just fine is really beyond me.

Lets look at the Amazon shall we? Yes, we know from archaelogical evidence that there was a fairly sizable civilization living in the Amazon basin as recently as 1000 years ago (I could be a little off on the dates, but that's what I remember reading). So yes, the Amazon has had a lot of humans living there, has suffered deforestation before--nothing new. What is new is the scale and type of deforestation. We also know from archaelogists that the Amazonian society were farmers and seemed to manage portions of the forest for their own use. The probably kept stuff planted that retained the little topsoil that there is. Invariably they did something stupid that collapsed their way of life. But, they didn't chop down tens of thousands of acres a year, and they probably left the soil in tact. Current farming practices in the Amazon basin are losing topsoil at a rapid rate. Not too mention chopping down vast, vast tracts of rainforest, destroying potential biodiversity that can recolonize areas. Another hundred years of current practices is going to turn the Amazon basin into a wasteland and it will take a few thousand to make it suitable for any sort of human subsistence. Ditto this for Southeast Asia, Central Africa, etc.

We got away with doing this in America and Europe because oil came online soon after we destroyed our environment. We had the energy to overcome a marginal environment (not to mention the energy to put back into some sort of environmental rehab). Third world countries don't have the energy and are not going to get it. Once they're pillaged, international capital will not flow into them to repair them. Those people are stuck without their main source of fuel (wood), and without anyway to grow food, or anywhere to even hunt and gather.

Also, I ought to point out the stupidity of tree farms to you. Yeah, hybrid poplars sound great. Except if you've paid any attention you'll have heard about any number of diseases that have been plauging trees in the U.S. for the last half century (at least). Monocultural stands of trees are ripe for diseases and you'll start losing entire crops from them. This is what makes old growth forests so resiliant--diversity of species. Diseases are going to be local, not wiping out whole forests.

Irresponsible forestry has probably been the number one reason for the collapse of civilizations. It has happened time and time again. So at a time when forest products will start becoming central again for fuel and building materials we really need to learn the lessons of the past. With the butcher job we've done to the planet we can't afford to get away with killing any more forests--that will pretty much spell extinction for us.

Anyway, I'm quite keen for you to explain to me how alternative energy will replace topsoil and biodiversity, or why exactly we don't need either of them.
RG73
Peat
Peat

Unread postby BiGG » Sun 22 May 2005, 15:58:02

RG73,

I suggest you read more regarding other countries deforesting their lands as they have every right to create jobs/income/tax base as we do/did whether it’s with logging, agriculture, or animal production. The “pollution” you mention from others burning isn’t even worth mentioning as anything they are doing in that regard doesn’t hold a candle to our use of oil.

Some companies are starting large scale projects replanting Brazil and others already including Texaco, General Motors and American Electric Power

United States Department of Agricultures International Programs.

Sustainable Forestry Implementation Principles

Nobody ever said anything about monoculture and you should read up on “sustainable” forestry on the links above. Hybrids are part of this process and disease is not an issue because there are several types of the same tree that can replace a strain affected by it. Here is a link showing many many types of fast growing trees.

Here is another one showing a project growing 55 different types of hybrid poplar being grown in Armenia. Many other types of hybrid trees exist besides poplar btw.

Topsoil is created with biodiversity like crop rotation and organic everything is what’s its all about, not just trees.
"The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil" ............ Former Saudi Arabian oil minister Sheikh Zaki Yamani,
BiGG
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DriveElectric » Sun 22 May 2005, 16:37:43

RG73 wrote:No, tree farms are renewable. Forests are not. And you could just as easily bike. I fail to see the need to chop down a tree so you can ride a scooter around when a bike will suffice.

You mean trees don't grow in the forest? Wow. I never knew that. Where do I get more info on this topic?

I cannot ride my bicycle at 62 mph. I need an electric scooter for that.
DriveElectric
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 22 May 2005, 19:36:46

DriveElectric wrote:
RG73 wrote:No, tree farms are renewable. Forests are not. And you could just as easily bike. I fail to see the need to chop down a tree so you can ride a scooter around when a bike will suffice.

You mean trees don't grow in the forest? Wow. I never knew that. Where do I get more info on this topic?

I see a recurrent theme amongst those who support “techno-fixes” and “alternative energy silver bullets”: they do not have a basic understanding of ecology and how natural systems work.

There is a concept in ecological succession called the "climax" community. The climax community represents a stable end product of the successional sequence as animals and plants compete for dominance, and is usually represented by a mature, bio-diverse forest with complex interactions between plants and animals to maintain a stable balance.

Ecological Succession: Gradual change in species occupying an area. Due to changes in 1 or more abiotic or biotic factors favoring some species over another.

Primary Succession: Gradual establishment of an ecosystem where one did not exist before. Glaciation, volcanic activity.

Secondary Succession: Gradual reestablishment of an ecosystem from an area where it previously existed. Fires, disease, natural events, human acts.

Climax species: Last stage of succession. One in which populations of all organisms are in balance w/ each other & existing abiotic factors. Old growth forest.

Succession: Changing Land, Changing Wildlife

http://www.michigandnr.com/publications ... ession.htm

A climax biodiverse "forest" is not renewable except over a long period of time. Hundreds of years. Tree farms are a monoculture and are subject to disease and parasites.

Nature, with her biodiversity, is not unlike a balanced stock portfolio. You don't want to have all your money in one place. It is hard to replace your life's savings if you lose it.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BiGG » Sun 22 May 2005, 20:22:33

I just gotta love it when you Google yourself yet another alleged expertise and pretend others are the ones lacking a “basic understanding” MonteQuest! You are the one lacking the very most basic understanding here to say the least if I ever saw it!

A) America has been harvesting its forests since before you were born and bio-deverse is not an issue in “managed”, “sustainable” forestry like we have been practicing for decades upon decades.

B) Do you have any idea how ignorant your assertion regarding “tree farms” is! Wow! “Tree farms” surround me and have been here for many, many decades without a problem you are claiming about disease & parasites and what exists isn’t even worth mentioning! Millions & millions of acres here alone MonteQuest say you have zero idea of what you are talking about! Monoculture? There are many, many varieties of several trees & many, many varieties of very fast growing hybrids including at least 55 varieties of hybrid popular alone that grow about 10’ per year!

A “techno-fix” is what you call a hybrid there MonteQuest and million & millions of acres of successful implementation of several species decade after decade is what you call reality and your pie-in-the-sky doomer assertions regarding trees farms ain’t doin ya any favors here.
BiGG
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby 0mar » Sun 22 May 2005, 21:09:34

We are not foresting in a sustainable manner. It's as simple as that.
Joseph Stalin
"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything. "
0mar
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DriveElectric » Sun 22 May 2005, 22:35:23

0mar wrote:We are not foresting in a sustainable manner. It's as simple as that.

1) You plant a tree.
2) The tree grows.
3) You cut it down.
4) Go back to step 1.

Seems sustainable to me. What is so tough with these sustainable trees? Why can't these damn trees get with the damn program so I can have my Vectrix methanol fuel cell electric scooter?
DriveElectric
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 22 May 2005, 23:28:48

BiGG wrote:
MonteQuest wrote:It all just went right over ol' BIGG's head, didn't it? :lol:

No MonteQuest, you put your foot in your mouth again and don't like it when somebody shows your assertions to be out in left field! Do you have some more "tree farm" advice those with a clue regarding tree farms can laugh out of the room? :-D

Note to readers: I thought I just posted on ecological succession and the definition of a climax forest??? The only thing I said about tree farms was the following:
Tree farms are a monoculture and are subject to disease and parasites.

Tree farms are by definition a monoculture and all monocultures are subject, by their very nature, to susceptibility to disease, insects, and parasitic invasion. This is basic agricultural science, not alleged expertise! :lol:

Whose foot is in whose mouth?
Last edited by MonteQuest on Sun 22 May 2005, 23:48:50, edited 1 time in total.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby CalgaryEng » Mon 23 May 2005, 00:17:38

I know very little about trees (though I am pretty good at cutting them down) so some of the comments in this thread are rather interesting and informative. Anyway, I did a search for "tree farm." One of the sites I found was http://www.tropicalhardwoods.com. Apparently they have been running a tree farm for many years but do not know that "by definition" they are supposed to be monoculture.

According to MSN Encarta:

Tree Farm: an area where trees are grown commercially for their wood products.

There is nothing here about monoculture. If there is an authoritative reference that defines a tree farm as monoculture please give the citation.
CalgaryEng
Wood
Wood

Unread postby MonteQuest » Mon 23 May 2005, 00:35:25

CalgaryEng wrote:I know very little about trees (though I am pretty good at cutting them down) so some of the comments in this thread are rather interesting and informative. Anyway, I did a search for "tree farm." One of the sites I found was http://www.tropicalhardwoods.com. Apparently they have been running a tree farm for many years but do not know that "by definition" they are supposed to be monoculture.

According to MSN Encarta:

Tree Farm: an area where trees are grown commercially for their wood products.

There is nothing here about monoculture. If there is an authoritative reference that defines a tree farm as monoculture please give the citation.

Can't give a cite, but, in agriculture, the term monoculture is used to describe plantings of a single species over a large area. In forestry, plantations of trees are typically grown as an even-aged monoculture for timber production, as opposed to a natural forest, where the trees are usually of diverse species and diverse ages.
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby joewp » Mon 23 May 2005, 00:51:01

MonteQuest wrote:There is a concept in ecological succession called the "climax" community. The climax community represents a stable end product of the successional sequence as animals and plants compete for dominance, and is usually represented by a mature, bio-diverse forest with complex interactions between plants and animals to maintain a stable balance.

Monte, would you say the last time humans were part of a true "climax" community was the hunter-gatherer stage?
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Mon 23 May 2005, 01:03:45

joewp wrote:
MonteQuest wrote:There is a concept in ecological succession called the "climax" community. The climax community represents a stable end product of the successional sequence as animals and plants compete for dominance, and is usually represented by a mature, bio-diverse forest with complex interactions between plants and animals to maintain a stable balance.

Monte, would you say the last time humans were part of a true "climax" community was the hunter-gatherer stage?

Yes, it would seem so. When the whiteman came to the America's he saw a vast, sparsely populated, and unused land. To the hunter-gatherer Indians, they were at, or exeeding carry capacity already and saw the flood of whitemen as competition for resources.

What a difference a world view makes.
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Russian_Cowboy » Mon 23 May 2005, 01:07:32

DriveElectric wrote:
0mar wrote:We are not foresting in a sustainable manner. It's as simple as that.

1) You plant a tree.
2) The tree grows.
3) You cut it down.
4) Go back to step 1.

Seems sustainable to me.

No, it is not sustainable. With the trees you cut you remove microelements from the soil. These microelements are necessary to grow the trees. Most important of these microelements is phosphoros. It is obtained from phosphates for any agriculture, including tree farming. The deposits of phosphates are being depleted pretty fast, at the current rate there are only 70 years worth of phosphates. The cost of producing phosphates is growing steadily. Besides, almost one half of the remaining phosphate deposits are located in Morocco. Second-most important is potassium. Although the deposits of potassium are more abundant then those of phosphates, they are limited too. Then comes magnesium. Etc.
Russian_Cowboy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby 0mar » Mon 23 May 2005, 01:40:12

DriveElectric wrote:

1) You plant a tree.
2) The tree grows.
3) You cut it down.
4) Go back to step 1.

Seems sustainable to me. What is so tough with these sustainable trees? Why can't these damn trees get with the damn program so I can have my Vectrix methanol fuel cell electric scooter?

You would need to replant the entire pacific northwest to it's old pre-1492 levels early to meet America's energy demands.

Old growth trees provide the best materials whereas younger trees provide less. Old growth trees take anywhere from 50 to 100 years to develop and they are fast in decline as we have been cutting them down for decades. Tree farms aren't enough to power even a fraction of a percentage of the energy demand in America.
Joseph Stalin
"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything. "
0mar
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Russian_Cowboy » Mon 23 May 2005, 02:08:34

0mar wrote:
DriveElectric wrote:

1) You plant a tree.
2) The tree grows.
3) You cut it down.
4) Go back to step 1.

You would need to replant the entire pacific northwest to it's old pre-1492 levels early to meet America's energy demands.

Old growth trees provide the best materials whereas younger trees provide less. Old growth trees take anywhere from 50 to 100 years to develop and they are fast in decline as we have been cutting them down for decades. Tree farms aren't enough to power even a fraction of a percentage of the energy demand in America.

Yep. This is because the efficiency of photosynthesis is only 1% or so, meaning that only 1% of solar energy caught by tree leaves is used efficiently. The only scalable solution to peak oil that I can think of so far, apart from mining coal like crazy and making artificial gasoline, is to use wind and solar panels to produce electricity and use this electricity to convert limestone to oil.
Russian_Cowboy
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Energy Technology