Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why not making rain artificially ?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Why not making rain artificially ?

Unread postby jandek » Tue 24 May 2005, 08:21:14

Lots of energy is needed to make water for human consumption and for farming , industry etc. while water can be made so easely.
Rain is nothing more then evaporated sea/river water and moved by the wind to some places where we get lots of it and some places less or nothing.
There are several systems developed where chemicals are spread in the air to create rain , we think that it can be done in a pure natural way and are therefore looking for people (geologist/meteorologist) interested or familiar with this topic for some brainstorming.
It sounds wild, we understand that, but concider before you judge that we challenged other science rules as well with our system to produce fresh water out of seawater see if you like our site on Solar seawater desalination to get an idea about us and our activities.
jandek
Wood
Wood

Unread postby NeoPeasant » Tue 24 May 2005, 12:17:39

I will be interested in your product when I can go to home depot and buy one. While I'm there I'll pick up a can of spray-on photovoltaic nanotechnology solar collector paint.
NeoPeasant
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

artificial rain

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 24 May 2005, 18:43:18

I don't think you realize the huge amount of energy it takes for the sun to evaporate water into vapor in the air in the first place, to have artificial rain you would have to evaporate the water first and then have the wind blow it to the location where you want to seed the clouds and make it come back down as rain. Much easier to just desalinate the sea water and pipe the potable water to the spot where you need it.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unless..

Unread postby UIUCstudent01 » Tue 24 May 2005, 19:11:03

Unless you mean to 'steal' the water.... If you do that regulary, then it's going to dry up some ecosystem downwind or whatever...

[There's actually a story arc in the anime "One Piece" that deals with stealing water by using chemicals and such...]
UIUCstudent01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Whitecrab » Wed 25 May 2005, 21:58:24

You can't "create" water. Rain normally forms when water vapour in clouds combine into droplets large enough to form as rain. A few people believe they have techniques where you can seed clouds with chemicals, attempting to force the vapour in clouds to combine into rain now, rather than waiting for it to naturally occur. It's still uncertain whether anyone has a weather control technique that really works.

Read more about it in this "Explainer" article from Slate magazine: Can the Russians Control the Weather? How cloud seeding works. There are some details about different methods there. Goverments have thrown a lot of money at this, I doubt a few of us brainstorming on a website are going to come up with the answer.
"Our forces are now closer to the center of Baghdad than most American commuters are to their downtown office."
--Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, April 2003
Whitecrab
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ohanian » Sun 29 May 2005, 06:33:27

Of course you can make artificial rain.

I can even sell you a bag of magic rain powder, it's $50,000 per bag and to make rain you just need to add 100,000 litres of water and dump it out of your aeroplane.

1,000 litres of rain (or more) guarantee or your money back.
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Energy Technology