Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Neo style motorbike...

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

New Neo style motorbike...

Unread postby KevO » Thu 11 Aug 2005, 15:27:39

I want one of these!

A sleek, almost silent, nonpolluting fuel cell-powered motorcycle is set to begin gliding down U.S. streets by the end of 2006.

The bike is dubbed the ENV (pronounced "envy"), short for Emissions Neutral Vehicle. The London-based company Intelligent Energy decided to develop the bike itself after years of cool reception to its fuel cell technology from manufacturers.
end quote
full article at
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... cycle.html
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: New Neo style motorbike...

Unread postby Wildwell » Thu 11 Aug 2005, 18:18:41

Non polluting at site they mean.

Should carry health warning:

'This machine may damage the health of someone else, even though you cannot see it'

We need to be making hydrogen from renewables else there's no point to it at all.

'scuse me I best go and shut the window, I can hear squeeling pigs flying by outside.
Wildwell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gnm » Thu 11 Aug 2005, 18:22:47

Yawn, already been done....

http://www.electricmoto.com/electricmot ... duct_blade

add some saddlebags with extra batteries and you're done...

-G
gnm

Unread postby whiteknight » Thu 11 Aug 2005, 18:48:47

KevO wrote:I want one of these!

Pretty cool. Nice thing about fuel cells is you can run 'em on almost any hydrogen source. Propane, Methane, etc... Now they will spew out some CO2 as well but thats not as bad as the rest of the crap that gas spews into the air.

Ya know, if you take wood and put it into a destructive distilation rig one of the byproducts is Methane... runs a fuel cell pretty smooth I am led to beleive.

Might just look into one of these for short jaunts. Not to mention after the fall of civilization I will need some sort of motorcycle to ride around on with my hair spiked up weilding a cooling fan on the end of a stick as a weapon...
whiteknight
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Caoimhan » Thu 11 Aug 2005, 19:23:26

It depends on the fuel cell, whiteknight. Some fuel cells are designed only for elemental hydrogen.

I like fuel cells that run on methanol.
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Caoimhan » Thu 11 Aug 2005, 19:36:29

I just had a wierd idea...

I wonder if it's possible for a hydrogen rich liquid fuel to be catalyzed in a fuel cell so that most of the hydrogen is stripped off it for power, and the left over liquid fuel (still a hydrocarbon) recycled. Think of it like a sponge made of carbon, designed to soak up hydrogen. You squeeze the sponge out and get the hydrogen for power, then send the depleted stuff back to be "recharged".
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Energy Technology