Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The "Growing Gap" graph

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

The "Growing Gap" graph

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 22 Jul 2004, 03:10:44

Re: The "Growing Gap" graph.

This graph extrapolates the apparently exponential(?) decline of "Past Discoveries" to "Future Discoveries" .

It would be interesting to add a dotted line showing the amount of future discoveries necessary to meet the projected demand according to Exxon (eg.).

I suspect this line would have to go up at a steep and increasing angle, totally inconsistent with past trends.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby notacornucopian » Thu 22 Jul 2004, 15:41:16

If you take a look at the USGS ( sorry, don't have the link ), they do indeed project a completely unrealistic set of future discovery numbers. There has been a fair bit of discussion here regarding how realistic/unrealistic their projections are. The disclaimer with their data actually admits that the numbers are generated based on anticipated demand, rather than geological data ! In my opinion, this is one of the most significant indicators of where we are with reagrds to the impending peak of oil extraction/supply. I am quite sure you can find this information graphed on the ASPO site as well as others.
notacornucopian
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 13 Aug 2004, 10:09:30

The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models