Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Climate policy: Oil's tipping point has passed

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Fri 03 Feb 2012, 06:59:16

I've been taking charts of the US DOL EIA world oil production data via economagic and marking them up with Inkscape to look like this:

But now I don't have to anymore since real, professional graphic artists are doing it.

James Murray and David King
Published in Nature, Volume 481, January 26, 2012

The economic pain of a flattening supply will trump the environment as a reason to curb the use of fossil fuels, say James Murray and David King.

Next they need to position such charts next to their related ones showing how Peak Oil is Destroying Capitalism.

Skyrocketing numbers of food stamp recipients:
All-time low of sales of new homes:

Instead we see burning men write news stories explaining how they are not on fire.

The politics of peak oil
By Chris Nelder | February 1, 2012

Those with vested interests in the status quo—which is to say, pretty much everyone in government, business, and the media—have much to lose, and they are deeply fearful that the slumbering beast of the public will wake up about peak oil and climate change.

This is undoubtedly why, on the very same day that the Nature comment was published, a political hit piece appeared in Bloomberg Businessweek, titled “Everything You Know About Peak Oil Is Wrong.” It said not one word about production rates, trotted out the tired argument about Limits to Growth (which is wrong anyway), and cited oil cheerleader Daniel Yergin as a primary source. Peak oil deniers always talk about reserves, not production rates, for the same reason a squid squirts ink when it is threatened. Either they haven’t the foggiest idea what “peak oil” means, nor a grip on production data (let alone the key production/reserves ratios). . . or clouding the issue, and painting peak oil analysts as Chicken Littles, is their explicit intent. After a decade of observing this behavior, particularly in publications which should know better, I’m now inclined toward the latter view.
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Climate policy: Oil's tipping point has passed

Unread postby seahorse3 » Fri 03 Feb 2012, 09:21:33

Baby as a laymen I can see the truth in the above article that plateau oil and high prices are killing bau as we know it. I disagree with the idea that the West is capitalism, it is an oligarchy.

PO advocates sometimes get distracted or bogged down in arguments about EROI. The correct analysis is the good old cspitalistic return on investment. The fact of the matter, we as a society are spending exhobitant amounts on energy and not getting a good return on our money as evidenced by our economy is falling into another recession.
seahorse3
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models