Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Up to date graphs on oil production

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Up to date graphs on oil production

Unread postby alokin » Tue 15 Nov 2011, 23:33:20

Recently, I find it very difficult to find up to date graphs on oil production. TOD stopped their monthly rewiev for example. A good graph on the total liquid production I found here:http://earlywarn.blogspot.com/.
Is there a similar graph for the crude oil production?

It seems, that depite all the "wolf wolf" howling the oil production actually went up, but I don't know if this refers to all liquids only.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Up to date graphs on oil production

Unread postby ian807 » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:23:46

alokin wrote:It seems, that despite all the "wolf wolf" howling the oil production actually went up, but I don't know if this refers to all liquids only.

Yes, you can make production go up as long as there are still liquids to pump - for a while.

It just increases the depletion rate of energetically positive, economically profitable oil. Not such great news, actually.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:47:00

Here's an interesting chart from JayHanson.us

Article here
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby alokin » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 18:56:29

Thanks pop! These are interesting. The blue line is this the total liquids minus what's "burned" in to produce that oil?
I really miss "oil watch montly", if at least the Wikipedia article would be up to date, it is so old that it lost validty. You can't convince anyone of PO if you show graphs ending years ago.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 19:22:08

alokin wrote:I really miss "oil watch montly", if at least the Wikipedia article would be up to date, it is so old that it lost validty. You can't convince anyone of PO if you show graphs ending years ago.
Have you check out International Energy Agency - Oil Market Report? They seem to have up-to-date information:

Highlights of the latest OMR
dated: 10 November 2011

Global oil supply rose by 1.0 mb/d to 89.3 mb/d in October from September, driven by recovering non-OPEC output. A yearly comparison shows similar growth, with OPEC supplies well above year-ago levels. Non-OPEC supply growth averages 0.1 mb/d in 2011 but rebounds to 1.1 mb/d in 2012, with strong gains from the Americas.

Global refinery crude throughputs fell sharply in September, as planned and unplanned shutdowns amplified the normal seasonal downturn.

Also, check out: Oil Market Report

Lots of up-to-date graphs there.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby alokin » Wed 16 Nov 2011, 23:07:43

Thanks that's good information. I will read that in future.
I'm still feeling that information is not updated for the general public - who reads through a 70 p report? When I first read about PO some years ago, all the graphs were reasonably recent and now I think it is more difficult to get up to date information. It's there, but you must know where and it is not in a single place. The most important IMO is the Wikipedia page this is were everyone looks first. This is were you get an overwiev on any topic. Unfortunately I can't do that job, I would have to know a lot more about the topic. Even the TOD page uses outdated graphs in their general information.

The today's front page article how to debunk the deniers (forgot the title) and the fact that there are a lot of "PO is nonsense" articles recently is maybe because of the fact that some predicitions have proven wrong. But instead of putting the facts together, admitting the errors, tracing and updating the new developments it seems that the PO community has stopped counting.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:26:19

I think a lot of people oversold the case for Instant Armageddon - and I mean "sold" literally. It's hard to sell a book with a subtitle of "The long, drawn out move away from cheap energy" - even Heinbergs' subtitle was "converging catastrophes".

Not everyone was selling something of course, I would have been really surprised if you'd told me 6 years ago the economy could be moving along this well at $100/bbl or that oil would rebound so fast after $147.

Even the chart I just posted is conjecture, at least I can't find where the author gets his EROI numbers, I can't even figure out how you could guess at such things with 85% of the oil produced by states instead of companies.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models