Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

1000-Ton-Boulder-Hurling Mega-Storms Coming Soon

1000-Ton-Boulder-Hurling Mega-Storms Coming Soon

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 11 Apr 2016, 22:34:48

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/nation ... 28/oceans/

That’s heavy:
Climate-change warnings include rising seas and wild weather shifts. But giant flying boulders?

Standing atop a 60-foot cliff overlooking the Atlantic, James Hansen — the retired NASA scientist sometimes dubbed the “father of global warming” — examines two small rocks through a magnifying glass. Towering above him is the source of one of the shards: a huge boulder from a pair locals call “the Cow and the Bull,” the largest of which is estimated to weigh more than 1,000 tons.

The two giants have long been tourist attractions along this rocky coast. Perched not far from the edge of a steep cliff that plunges down into blue water, they raise an obvious question: How did they get up here?

Compounding the mystery, these two are among a series of giant boulders arranged in an almost perfect line across a narrow part of this 110-mile-long, wishbone-shaped island.

Hansen and Paul Hearty — a wiry, hammer-slinging geologist from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington who has joined him here as a guide — have a theory about these rocks. It’s so provocative — and, frankly, terrifying — that some critics wonder whether the man who helped spawn the whole debate about the dangers of climate change has finally gone too far.

The idea is that Earth’s climate went through a warming period just over 100,000 years ago that was similar in many ways to the warming now attributed to the actions of man.

And the changes during that period were so catastrophic, they spawned massively powerful superstorms, causing violent ocean waves that simply lifted the boulders from below and deposited them atop this cliff.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: 1000-Ton-Boulder-Hurling Mega-Storms Coming Soon

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 11 Apr 2016, 22:49:51

It's important to know just what kind of crazy we may be heading into! :cry:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 11 Apr 2016, 23:10:02

There are similar boulders found on the cliffs of Hawaii---except there they are attributed to giant tsunami waves produced by huge landslides from the islands into the sea.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 00:00:26

Sigh.

Slow news day. Discredited AGW activist and geologist publishes a ridiculous theory - not in any recognized journal of science, but in the Washington Post. His real published works are all over 20 years old and he's washed up and useless.

Silly PO.com member repeats rank speculation because it's AGW related, without even thinking about it.

I read the linked article. There are several theories about those boulders which could explain their presence without postulating a completely unprecedented mega-storm that blows around 1000-ton irregular-shaped boulders.

We live on a planet where real Force 5+ mega-hurricanes that spread over a quarter of an ocean are incapable of rolling around smooth and rounded 1 pound cobblestones. A world where 100 pound landscaping boulders less than 1000 feet from the center of the Hiroshima nuclear blast did not budge from an estimated 5,000 Mph hypersonic blast front, but eventually melted in place. That is the real world, where the laws of Physics apply. Much as you desperately want it to be so, it is not the world of doomer idiot crackpot AGW science.

Maybe you should THINK before you post, and waste our time.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 01:02:59

Discredited AGW activist? First of all the correct nomenclature of Dr. Hanson is scientist not activist that is incidental. Second, far from discredited, he is recognized as a leading Earth and climate scientist. Why else would NASA have given him a prominent position. Finally, your incredulous attitude is childish at best and ignorant at worse. Even now some potent storms are causing freakish damage. You have no idea of the potential of AGW or of how rapidly it can bring on abrupt climate change. While being generally a smart person, you are willfully ignorant of climate change.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby clif » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 01:32:27

Two quotes from the article.

causing violent ocean waves that simply lifted the boulders from below and deposited them atop this cliff.

and

Hearty, an expert on Bahamas geology, first published in 1997 the idea that Cow and Bull were hurled to their perch by the sea

KJ's uniformed response;

A world where 100 pound landscaping boulders less than 1000 feet from the center of the Hiroshima nuclear blast did not budge from an estimated 5,000 Mph hypersonic blast front, but eventually melted in place.

see the idiotic trick he tried to pull;

ocean waves and hurled to their perch by the sea

he responds with;

5,000 Mph hypersonic blast front

They discuss water waves, and KU ignorantly responds with air pressure from an atomic blast. :badgrin:

The force of water from the ocean which is very devastating, ask the Japanese circa 2011, how much pressure the ocean can produce.

He wants to claim a localised event with orders of magnitude less energy as a true comparison.

Right .......

Maybe he should take his own advice;

Maybe you should THINK before you post, and waste our time.

For him, it might be a splendid idea eh?
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 01:45:01

So many people study Physics, so few ever use it for anything.

A little mental exercise for you. Suppose you have a slab of unbreakable stone, 1x4x9 meters (yes, that would be the "monolith" from the movie 2001, A Space Odyssey). Suppose it is composed of a stone material that is twice as heavy as water. It is sitting on perfectly flat ground where the coefficient of friction is 1.5. The wind is blowing exactly at 90 degrees to one of the perfectly flat faces.

Care to calculate how fast the wind would have to blow to budge this object at sea level? I gave you round numbers and an exact shape, and even simpler you can do the whole calculation in the metric system. It doesn't get any easier than this. I'll even give you a hint.

Hint: There are six equally correct answers that are finite numbers, and three where the stone does not move ever, regardless of wind speed.

If you cannot do this calculation, or you don't have an off-the-cuff estimate that is in the correct order of magnitude, then you do not possess the knowledge to even have a valid opinion on AGW.

Reply by PM, and I'll publish the user name of anybody who gets it correct, along with a running total of anonymous wrong answers.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby clif » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 01:56:01

Nice diversion attempt from the ignorance of your first response here KJ, too bad it doesn't explain why you posted the drivel you posted up-thread.

Or why you are talking about air forces when they are discussing water forces.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby clif » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 02:06:23

PS, you have also failed to DIRECTLY discuss the article, just post half hearted miss mash to try to distract from one from the fore most EXPERTS on the planets warnings.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby clif » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 02:11:40

BTW according to the article most experts agree tsunamis can uplift boulders,

so why are you wanting to discuss air pressure?

Your disagreement is with them,

not trying once again

to make us respond

to your school yard demands.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 02:45:31

Could be debris from the meteor strike that is attributed to wiping out the dinosaurs.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 07:07:02

By far the most likely answer is a Tsunami deposited these boulders. This has been observed to happen. While wind speeds I some mega storms can greatly stir up the surface of the ocean the only thing that moves deeply submerged stuff around are Earthquake and related Tsunami and Volcano activities.

It is fine to theorize, that is how science advances, but extraordinary theory requires extraordinary proof.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SteveO » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 09:35:33

A world where 100 pound landscaping boulders less than 1000 feet from the center of the Hiroshima nuclear blast did not budge from an estimated 5,000 Mph hypersonic blast front, but eventually melted in place.

So many people study Physics, so few ever use it for anything.

Ok Jeep, here's your physics lesson for the day. When the "pit" of a nuclear device goes critical a wave of X-rays and Gamma radiation goes out at roughly the speed of light (299,792,458 feet per second) arriving at your boulders roughly 0.000007 seconds (1850 ft above ground 1000 feet out approx 2100 feet away). I'm having trouble finding the shock wave speed, for sake of argument lets assume 10 times the speed of sound at sea level (1200 feet per second times 10 or 12,000 fps) The blast front takes 0.175 seconds to get there. Simply put, the radiant energy got there so much faster that the rocks had time to melt first.

It's the same reason the people disintegrated leaving shadows on walls and the pavement. Had the shock wave arrived before the radiant energy they would have been blown away and the shadows never would have occurred.
Last edited by SteveO on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:00:22, edited 2 times in total.
SteveO
Wood
Wood

Unread postby chilyb » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 09:37:50

It's an interesting theory.

I'll add these quotes from the article:

"On Ireland’s Aran Islands, geologist Rónadh Cox of Williams College found that in intense North Atlantic storms in the winter of 2013 and 2014, more than 2,000 boulders moved, based on GPS mapping. Many were pretty small, but the biggest was over 400 tons."

"People skeptical that ocean waves can move boulders are not thinking about the physics right, said Robert Weiss, a geophysicist at Texas A&M University. “The density of air is about a thousand times smaller than the density of water,” Weiss said. He added that a simple cubic meter of water, a cube that is a meter long on every side, already weighs a ton."
chilyb
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 09:43:47

Thanks, chily and steve. And welcome to the fray!

Oh, and good points, as usual, clif.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby eugene » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 09:59:15

Well that was quick. Instead of discussing mega storms, we talked about moving boulders. Maybe when one doesn't like the subject, they talk about the details. Initial stages of mega storms are already here. But lets debate the qualifications of a scientist, lets talk about the storms grandpa talked about, lets focus on football, survivor or some other piddling program and most of all, lets just ignore the whole thing. Sounds good to me. How about another cup of coffee. Or take an anti depressant. The US has 5% of the worlds population but consumes 80% of the anti depressants. Great life we got here.
eugene
Peat
Peat

Unread postby GHung » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 09:59:59

Regardless of KJ's hubris, stranger things happen every day.

Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:22:21

chilyb wrote:It's an interesting theory.

I'll add these quotes from the article:

"On Ireland’s Aran Islands, geologist Rónadh Cox of Williams College found that in intense North Atlantic storms in the winter of 2013 and 2014, more than 2,000 boulders moved, based on GPS mapping. Many were pretty small, but the biggest was over 400 tons."

"People skeptical that ocean waves can move boulders are not thinking about the physics right, said Robert Weiss, a geophysicist at Texas A&M University. “The density of air is about a thousand times smaller than the density of water,” Weiss said. He added that a simple cubic meter of water, a cube that is a meter long on every side, already weighs a ton."

I am not arguing that waves can not move boulders, anyone who grew up near enough to Lake Erie to observe storm effects has seen that with their own eyes. My contention is moving large boulders from sea floor location to cliff top locations takes more force than even a super storm produces, but a Tsunami, Earthquake or Volcano could all do so easily. Why reach for an unlikely answer when more likely answers already exist? Occums Razor, the simplest solution is more likely to give the correct answer.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate