Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Union Carbide Killers Sentences a Mockery

Union Carbide Killers Sentences a Mockery

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 07 Jun 2010, 22:03:33

Twenty-six years and countless court hearings after a gas leak from a Union Carbide plant in Bhopal in central India killed at least 15,000 and poisoned the area's soil and water, eight people were found guilty of criminal negligence by a local court here on Monday. One of the eight died prior to the verdict.

The verdict may feel like too little, too late for rights groups who have been campaigning for more than two decades to get justice for the victims of the 1984 tragedy. Activists have said the charges in what is widely held to be the world's worst industrial disaster have been diluted to what might be expected in "something like a traffic accident."

"After waiting so many years for justice ... it's a verdict to make us weep," says Syed M Irfan, convener of the Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Purush Sangharsh Morcha, a campaign group for victims of the gas leak in Bhopal. He criticized the Indian government's Criminal Bureau of Investigation for their conduct of the case.

"More than 15,000 people are killed and the punishment is just two years in prison. How could that be?" he says. The verdict sends a message to international companies that they could set up shop in India and get away with anything, he adds.

link

I'm glad I won't live long enough to see these frakers get off for the Gulf Oil Spill.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Union Carbide Killers Sentences a Mockery

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 08 Jun 2010, 02:13:08

if you cared that much you could have handle it yourself, especially considering that you dont have much time left.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Tue 08 Jun 2010, 06:54:16

Whats your timeline for an ELE cid?

Cid_Yama wrote:
Twenty-six years and countless court hearings after a gas leak from a Union Carbide plant in Bhopal in central India killed at least 15,000 and poisoned the area's soil and water, eight people were found guilty of criminal negligence by a local court here on Monday. One of the eight died prior to the verdict.

The verdict may feel like too little, too late for rights groups who have been campaigning for more than two decades to get justice for the victims of the 1984 tragedy. Activists have said the charges in what is widely held to be the world's worst industrial disaster have been diluted to what might be expected in "something like a traffic accident."

"After waiting so many years for justice ... it's a verdict to make us weep," says Syed M Irfan, convener of the Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Purush Sangharsh Morcha, a campaign group for victims of the gas leak in Bhopal. He criticized the Indian government's Criminal Bureau of Investigation for their conduct of the case.

"More than 15,000 people are killed and the punishment is just two years in prison. How could that be?" he says. The verdict sends a message to international companies that they could set up shop in India and get away with anything, he adds.

link

I'm glad I won't live long enough to see these frakers get off for the Gulf Oil Spill.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 08 Jun 2010, 11:53:40

Hopefully we still have another 10 years. I can't promise it won't happen this year. We are that on the edge. All it takes is a large enough(1% of what's available) part of the free methane reservoir to find an open path to release through the subsea permafrost. Semiletov and Shakhova say it could happen at any time.

What is most troubling is that Dr Joye, who has been studying the subsea plumes in the Gulf of Mexico has measured methane concentrations in the water of the Gulf of Mexico up to 10,000 times background level.
link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Daphne64 » Tue 08 Jun 2010, 14:50:49

Cid, Cid,

I have already made myself a pariah by telling people we are (at best) going to have another great depression and that the world's population is unsustainable. But you make me look overly optimistic.

If I remember right, you do think the human population will become extinct. What do you reckon will be the highest form of life when the extinctions are done. Bacteria?
Daphne64
Peat
Peat

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 08 Jun 2010, 15:56:36

So was Union Carbide run by gangsters or con artists?

I always figure there are 3 types of people running companies: ethical/responsible businessmen, gangsters and con artists.

An example of con artist business for example, would be most of the bottled water industry.

A gangster example would be when Ford-hired Pinkertons massacred striking auto workers, or when the banking industry buys Congress.

I can't think of any ethical/responsible examples offhand.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 08 Jun 2010, 19:08:50

Daphne64 wrote:What do you reckon will be the highest form of life when the extinctions are done. Bacteria?

Hopefully, the deep sea ocean vent creatures will find their new expanded world much to their liking.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Vogelzang » Mon 30 Aug 2010, 19:00:02

A lot of halogenated harrigens!
Vogelzang
Permanently Banned

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate