Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Fish Documentary

More Shark Attacks

Unread postby Riddick » Mon 27 Jun 2005, 22:18:46

Remember what the "BIG STORY" on mainstream news was before 9/11? Yep, it was "the summer of the shark" and the Chandra Levy disappearance. What do we have now? More missing people topping the list with the shark attacks gaining momentum again. Is another attack coming?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/27/shark. ... index.html

P.S. Don't these frigging morons know that sharks live in the ocean? These people are the same idiots that would question why a lion would attack someone wondering around the African plains.

P.P.S. The number of shark attacks during the summer of 2001 was actually below average. Man, they were really hurting for some mainstream bs to pipe to the American people.
"Your failure to be informed does not make me a wacko." - John Loeffler

December 23, 2012
Riddick
Lignite
Lignite

Re: More Shark Attacks

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Mon 27 Jun 2005, 23:35:24

Riddick wrote:Remember what the "BIG STORY" on mainstream news was before 9/11? Yep, it was "the summer of the shark" and the Chandra Levy disappearance.

You forgot West Nile Virus. Everyone was going to die from West Nile virus remember?
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby savethehumans » Tue 28 Jun 2005, 01:55:53

The attacks are tragic, no question.

But part of me wonders if this is the shark's revenge for what we humans have done to its ocean home. I'd have laughed at this not so long ago, but now, I'm not so sure. :cry:
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 28 Jun 2005, 02:06:50

Speaking of lions, there was apparently a case where 2 lions saved a kidnapped girl in Africa. Quite an interesting story.
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Tragedy, smagedy

Unread postby sparkylab » Tue 28 Jun 2005, 02:28:24

Tragic, my ass. Unfortunate, maybe. Bad luck at the worst.

A little harsh, I know, but if you don't want to get eaten by a shark - don't go in the water where they are known to hang out.

Everything is a bloody 'tragedy' these days:

Your house burns down because you live in the chapparal of which fire is naturally part of the ecosystem - oooh, a tragedy.

Some jogger getting pounced by a mountain lion on a trail going through their (rapidly shrinking) habitat - oooh, a tragedy.

My faith in the majority of the human race evaporates daily. Bill Hicks was right - for the most part we are merely a 'virus with shoes'.

ok, rant over. :x
sparkylab
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Omnitir » Tue 28 Jun 2005, 05:02:49

Sharks are magnificent and essential creatures of the ocean. Many species are endangered and if we let them die out, the effect could be catastrophic to the oceans. The sharks can’t be allowed to die out, but people seem to want them gone because they aren’t cute and cuddly, or because they have teeth. Human fear of sharks is unfounded and based on some primordial instinct.

A typical misconception of sharks is the level of danger they pose to humans. In over 15 years of swimming, surfing and diving around the East Australian coastline (along with millions of others), I’ve only seen sharks in the water on 3 occasions, and I think there’s been something like 4 attacks in the last 5 years, despite the high number of sharks in Australian waters. Attacking a human is just not a natural instinct for a shark.

However, almost everyone has experience (whether directly or indirectly) with car accidents.

From article;
Seven people were killed in shark attacks worldwide in 2004

How many people worldwide get killed in motor accidents each year? Almost everyone has seen car accidents of some sort because they are so common. People get critically injured and killed in car accidents daily.

Riddick wrote:Don't these frigging morons know that sharks live in the ocean? These people are the same idiots that would question why a lion would attack someone wondering around the African plains.

If a handful of shark attacks each year make people that swim in the ocean morons, WTF kind of people are car drivers considering the thousands of deaths and serious injuries that are caused by cars accidents each day?

Get some perspective.

Millions of Australians flock to the beaches each day and despite the fact that Australia has some of the highest concentration of various shark species in its waters, I believe there have been 4 known deaths in the past 5 years caused by shark attacks.
I believe the figure is around 30 deaths each year caused by lightning strikes.
There are approximately 1700 deaths a year caused by road accidents.
There are approximately 6700 deaths each year caused by workplace accidents.
Omnitir
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Salmon

Unread postby cat » Sat 16 Jul 2005, 13:13:50

Here is an interesting way to use our resources:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/b ... ish16.html
cat
Peat
Peat

Unread postby zed » Sun 17 Jul 2005, 17:57:32

Might as well enjoy the salmon while they are still around. Warming oceans are decreasing their (and other west coast seafood) numbers..

http://www.nrdc.org/news/newsDetails.asp?nID=1728
zed
Peat
Peat

Unread postby The_Virginian » Sun 17 Jul 2005, 19:37:17

that explians why I got sick on salmon in 2000, it was OLD schiesse, not fresh as claimed :lol:

love those hystamines.
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Peak Fish

Unread postby Zardoz » Wed 12 Apr 2006, 02:09:26

Add depleted wild fish stocks to the ever-growing list of stuff we're using up:

Feeding the World with Deep-Sea Fish Farms

The world's ever-growing population is eating more and more fish and the oceans can't keep up. Fishing has depleted wild stocks of tuna, swordfish, cod and many other species.

Things are getting so far out of hand all you can do is laugh about it.

(Best of luck to those deep-water fish farmers. We all need for them to make that work.)
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Re: Peak Fish

Unread postby MrBill » Wed 12 Apr 2006, 08:12:36

Zardoz wrote:Add depleted wild fish stocks to the ever-growing list of stuff we're using up:

Feeding the World with Deep-Sea Fish Farms

The world's ever-growing population is eating more and more fish and the oceans can't keep up. Fishing has depleted wild stocks of tuna, swordfish, cod and many other species.

Things are getting so far out of hand all you can do is laugh about it.

(Best of luck to those deep-water fish farmers. We all need for them to make that work.)

Have to agree with you on this. Peak fish probably occured about 50.000+ years ago though? ; - )

Farmed fish has to part of the solution as well as better management of wild stocks. Pricing also has to play a role though. Tuna fish in the can is so cheap. Especially from Thailand. You would never guess stocks are depleting, it is so cheap. Fresh, wild fish on the other hand is quite pricey here in Cyprus, as the waters in the Med are practically devoid of marine life in general.

Inland fish ponds using vegetable matter and fresh water shrimp for example are a good source of fish, but of course if there are floods those domestic species can and do escape so better controls need to be in place. Better pond design/enclosed ponds may be the answer. Still we have to consider all alternatives.

I am wondering if fecal matter from fish can be collected and used as fertilizer? I know fish meal can be fed to cattle/animals as a source of protein. Don't the Chinese and Japanese grow fish in their flooded rice paddies?

Norways richest man just sold part of his shipping company for a stake in an oil field, and he invested the rest in one of the world's largest fish farms, by the way.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Have to keep in mind all those other peak & sustainability issues, not just hydrocarbons.
The organized state is a wonderful invention whereby everyone can live at someone else's expense.
MrBill
Expert
Expert

Unread postby auscanman » Wed 12 Apr 2006, 14:57:59

I think that we are already past this point on the global scale and are beginning to see the effects. We've certainly long passed local peak in many places, ie. the Grand Banks in Canada. In all those cases nobody acted until it was too late. Once the fish stocks are depleted beyond a certain point, any gain in population is difficult.

It's Interesting how this phenomenon and man's reaction to it parallel what we're seeing with PO. In both cases local peaks in places have clearly occured and yet there are many who are impervious to a global peak fast approaching. However, I don't think the decline in oil will be as sudden and abrupt as with fisheries.

As for aquaculture, it must be one of the most energy intensive processes on earth. I would bet it's even worse than agriculture, and so farmed fish will likely be getting very expensive in the years ahead.
auscanman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby grillzilla » Wed 12 Apr 2006, 16:04:49

From Mother Jones magazine
Despite its promise, aquaculture is no better, since three pounds of wild fish are caught to feed every pound of farmed salmon sent to market--creating entirely new fisheries, which deplete hitherto unscathed wild fish populations, including krill, a critical corner stone of the marine food web and essential to the survival of Antarctic species such as penguins. Furthermore, farmed salmon become severely contaminated by pollutants in their feed chow; some European aquacultured salmon is so badly tainted that people have been advised to consume it only once every five months

(the contaminants are concentrated by the summing of the pollutants in each small organism ground up for food pellets)

The truth is that the full consequences of modern fishing methods are brutal and far-reaching, and they were not really understood before the release of a seminal study published in 2003, detailing how industrialized fisheries, in a manner akin to virulent pathogens, typically reduce the community of large fish by 80 percent within the first 15 years of exploitation. Co-authors Boris Worm and Ransom Myers of Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia concluded that in the wake of decades of such onslaughts, only 10 percent of all large fish (tuna, swordfish, marlin) and groundfish (cod, halibut, skate, and flounder) are left anywhere in the ocean. Their study was based on factors modern fisheries managers ignore: historical data; in this case, the catch reports from Japanese long-liners dating from the 1950s, when the global tuna catch was less than 500,000 tons, compared with 3.7 million tons today.

The full article is quite long:

Mother Jones Article
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits.
grillzilla
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ThunderChunky » Wed 12 Apr 2006, 19:41:59

The sad part is that unlike oil, fish are a renewable resource. If we only allowed fishing quotas up the the MSY (maximum sustainable yield) we wouln't have these problems. It's really the local governments faults, and they are the ones that end up paying when the fishery collapses.
ThunderChunky
Peat
Peat

Unread postby bleubird » Thu 13 Apr 2006, 02:48:00

The only bright spot is Alaska.We do not farm fish,but we have spent a lot of time and money to enhance the fisheries.Hatcheries and stream rehab have paid off.Fish farms have a lot of problems.
It is better to rehab the natural system and control the fishing.

bleu

P.S. First post after much lurking.
P.P.S. Maybe should have done the welcome thing first.
bleubird
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Zardoz » Thu 13 Apr 2006, 03:39:08

bleubird wrote:P.S. First post after much lurking.
P.P.S. Maybe should have done the welcome thing first.

Welcome to the forum. It gets very crazy around here at times, but it can also be so informative that it's like taking college courses.
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bleubird » Thu 13 Apr 2006, 03:53:11

Thanks for the welcome.I spend most of my net time at Infidels.org.
There has been little talk on infidels about peak oil.
Strange.

bleu
bleubird
Wood
Wood

Nemo is Hungry

Unread postby ohanian » Tue 26 Dec 2006, 23:01:29

Reef fish 'starving to death'

By Vincent Morello

December 27, 2006 12:09pm
Article from: AAP

FISH species on the Great Barrier Reef are starving to death because climate change is killing off their food source, an environmental study has found.

Rising sea temperatures have bleached more than 30 per cent of the world's coral reefs, a five-year study by the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies (CoECRS) has found.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20 ... 21,00.html
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Nemo is Hungry

Unread postby NEOPO » Tue 26 Dec 2006, 23:25:30

Sadness - I wonder if they would eat emulsified Neocon?
It is easier to enslave a people that wish to remain free then it is to free a people who wish to remain enslaved.
NEOPO
Permanently Banned

Re: Nemo is Hungry

Unread postby Concerned » Wed 27 Dec 2006, 04:14:22

NEOPO wrote:Sadness - I wonder if they would eat emulsified Neocon?

Let them eat cake :razz:
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
-Italian Proverb
Concerned
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate