Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mining/ranching interests giddy over Salazar for Interior

Mining/ranching interests giddy over Salazar for Interior

Unread postby billg » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 15:18:54

Obama is definitely one twisted politician. He talks about wanting to address global warming, but then picks a rancher for Secretary of Interior.

Kieran Suckling of the Tucson-based Center for Biological Diversity: "Ken Salazar is very closely tied to ranching and mining and very traditional, old-time, Western, extraction industries. We were promised that an Obama presidency would bring change."

Among those cheering the apparent Salazar nomination are the mining and agriculture industries, which generally backed Republican John McCain for president.

"I first heard it Monday and was excited because I have worked with him when I used to live in Colorado," said Laura Skaer, executive director of the Northwest Mining Association. "I know that he's fair and balanced."

The secretary of the Interior, perhaps more than any other Cabinet post, affects the lives of rural Americans, many of whom depend on natural resource development for their living.

NPR
"It is no measure of health to be deemed sane in an insane society" J. Krishnamurti

Second Attention
billg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Mining/ranching interests giddy over Salazar for Interio

Unread postby Fishman » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 16:32:05

Wow, I was joking earlier about Cheney being in his administration. Seems closer every day.
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 17:00:49

CHANGE my asp.
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 00:12:29

Kieran Suckling of the Tucson-based Center for Biological Diversity: "Ken Salazar is very closely tied to ranching and mining and very traditional, old-time, Western, extraction industries. We were promised that an Obama presidency would bring change."

Among those cheering the apparent Salazar nomination are the mining and agriculture industries, which generally backed Republican John McCain for president.

"I first heard it Monday and was excited because I have worked with him when I used to live in Colorado," said Laura Skaer, executive director of the Northwest Mining Association. "I know that he's fair and balanced."

What a great cabinet Obama has selected. Its truly the best and the brightest! And the most fair and balanced too! :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby billg » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 10:52:36

More in-depth critique of Salazar at the Grist.org

During the campaign for President, the Grist hosted a debate/dialogue among the Democratic candidates regarding their positions on environmental issues. Two of the major Democratic candidates, Edwards and Clinton, attended along with Kucinich. Obama was a no-show.
"It is no measure of health to be deemed sane in an insane society" J. Krishnamurti

Second Attention
billg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 20:08:43

The Big Disappointment continues. :(

See, this is why I never could get very enthusiastic about Obama and said he was merely the lesser of two evils, not a definite good.

Bluh.
Ludi

Unread postby joewp » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 22:22:57

This is yet another good illustration that there's really no difference between Democrats and Republicans. They're both just shills for the bankers and corporations. They could care less about you and me, they only care about themselves and their financial backers.

Until the bankers lose control of the money supply of the world, nothing's going to change at all.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate