Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Another crack at flywheels on vehicles

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Another crack at flywheels on vehicles

Unread postby dorlomin » Wed 18 Apr 2012, 14:06:13

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... intcmp=122

A fuel-saving flywheel first developed for use in Formula One racing cars, but abandoned before it could be used due to a regulation change by the sport's administrators, will soon be retrofitted to a handful of London buses.

Six prototype buses owned by Go-Ahead, one of the UK's largest buses operators, are currently being fitted with the flywheels for a trial beginning later this year in and around Putney, south-west London.

Williams F1, the Oxfordshire-based racing team behind the technology, predicts that its carbon-composite flywheel could help a city bus reduce its fuel use by as much as 30%.

If successful, and contingent on raising the funding, Go-Ahead says it will consider fitting the flywheels across its 4,000-strong fleet of buses.

"The fuel consumption savings being predicted are attractive even at the lower estimates of around 10%-15%," said Phil Margrave, Go-Ahead's group engineering director.

"Within three months of the trail starting, we'll know if this technology is right for us. There have been lots of flywheel trials over the years, but for various reasons they have failed. Twenty years ago, one came on the market, but it was too noisy and this concerned passengers.
They have failed before but one day someone will get one right.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Another crack at flywheels on vehicles

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 18 Apr 2012, 18:15:00

This is great! One of the promising ideas I was reading about as early as 1982, hopefully this time it will work as planned.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 01:57:49

At the risk of asking a stupid question -- what about safety?

THIS driver/passenger is concerned about safety, however silent the equipment might be. Once one builds a "compartment" sturdy enough to contain the beast under stresses like, say, a major accident -- I wonder what the savings would be.

If this works AND is safe -- then great. It would just seem to be an obvious issue.
(Or as I'm getting older I'm becoming more cowardly or wiser -- not sure which, or maybe both...)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 06:11:01

As I recall it the energy is dissipated pretty darn quickly at need. The system I remember used an 'air brake', the flywheel was spun in a vacuum compartment and in an emergency the compartment flooded with compressed air. The air got heated by the turbulence between fins on the wheel and fins in the chamber shell and absorbed the energy making the flywheel spin as a result. Some of the pictures were pretty dramatic with steel flywheels getting red hot and bearings getting damaged as a result.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Conservation & Efficiency