Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy Intensity

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Energy Intensity

Unread postby kublikhan » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 18:01:34

THE energy required to produce a unit of GDP is falling in most countries around the world. As countries industrialise, energy-intensive businesses make up a bigger share of the economy. Peaks generally correlate to the high point of heavy industry, before lighter industry and higher value-added businesses (such as services) begin to replace old-fashioned smokestack manufacturers. This often coincides with gains in energy efficiency, too. According to BP’s "Energy Outlook 2030", globalisation will lead to a similar level of "energy intensity" across the globe by 2030, despite wild divergence in the past, as energy is traded freely and consumption trends and technologies spread.
Power slide

On first sight, energy consumption mirrored the economic cycle: It fell and it rose with the economy. In fact, it overshot – twice. Energy demand fell by more than GDP in 2009 (when it saw its first decline in almost 30 years) and it rose by more than GDP in 2010 (when it saw its strongest increase for nearly 40 years). A look at historical data confirms that this should not come as a surprise: As a rule, the amplitude of fluctuations in energy consumption over the business cycle exceeds that of GDP. And the rule held during this recession: Energy consumption varied more than GDP in 2009 and 2010, in part because of those energy intensive activities, like industry, investment and commercial transport, which vary with larger amplitudes over the cycle than GDP.

Recall that, since the early 1990s, the share of the developing world in global GDP has been rising. The years of recession and recovery accelerated this trend. Energy intensity continues to fall in both camps, but for the time being, it remains almost 1.5 times as high in the non-OECD. The rising weight in global GDP of the fast growing and more energy intensive non-OECD economies means that global energy intensity in extremis may rise, even if it falls in both the OECD and the non-OECD. And to lower the rate at which energy intensity improves globally is exactly what has started to happen as part of the long ascent of the non-OECD to a more powerful global economic position.
BP Statistical Review of World Energy June 2011
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Energy Intensity

Unread postby Pops » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 18:41:12

I'll say right off the bat that I think the GDP number is not just bogus but rigged.

I don't know where the numbers came from but I think this chart speaks volumes:

But looking at the chart you posted Kub, I think it is telling that the curves bend in sync with the explosion in digital financial markets.

We hear all the falderall about "service" economies but every one of those automated, computerized trades, hedges, RE tranch transfers is chalked up as 'economic activity' just the same as when the neighbor kid (or a tornado) breaks out a window necessitating replacement or someone buys a house at a short sale or Borders sells all it's books at a loss.

Link
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby kublikhan » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 19:48:52

I don't think all of the decline in energy intensity is because of cooked books. I think there is a real trend that has been going on for decades where we can produce more economic output for less energy input. Some of the gain comes from shifting to less energy intensive industries. Some comes from efficiency improvements. For example, AC seer ratings have gone up, houses are better insulated then they used to be, cars are more fuel efficient, some nations have invested in nice mass transit systems, etc.

Also, if you look at the second article, it mentions how fluctuations in energy consumption does not mirror fluctuations in GDP exactly. Of course energy consumption has an effect on GDP, but energy consumption is more volatile than GDP is, both on the up swings and the down swings. I remember some posters awhile back saying the decline in energy will match the decline in GDP 1-1. That does not seem to be the case.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 23:00:57

THE energy required to produce a unit of GDP is falling in most countries around the world. As countries industrialise, energy-intensive businesses make up a bigger share of the economy. Peaks generally correlate to the high point of heavy industry, before lighter industry and higher value-added businesses (such as services) begin to replace old-fashioned smokestack manufacturers. This often coincides with gains in energy efficiency, too. According to BP’s "Energy Outlook 2030", globalisation will lead to a similar level of "energy intensity" across the globe by 2030
I think the apparent increase in energy efficiency is due to "off-shoring" those stinky, energy intensive smokestack industries to developing countries. The "advanced" countries are still the ultimate consumers of the energy used to manufacture their imports.

Is BP saying that all countries will have economies based on "lighter industry and higher value-added businesses (such as services)" with no need for energy-intensive smokestack industries anywhere?
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 00:54:34

BP is saying all countries are seeing their energy intensity drop, including developing countries. Check out the graph in my very first link. China went from about 1.2 tonnes of oil equivalent per unit of GDP in 1960 to about .2 tonnes today, or about 1/6th as much. The world average did not drop nearly as significantly. It went from something like .25 tonnes in 1970 to about .15 tonnes today.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby The Practician » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 02:48:17

Maybe when the world economy isn't Imploding due to a massive and unpayable debt overhang, I will have time to listen to these sorts of fairy tales. As far as I know, gov't debt counts towards GDP. I am fairly certain asset price bubbles do as well.

You may be able to decouple energy intensity and GDP, But I have my doubts that you can separate it from a relatively smoothly functioning industrial society.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Pops » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 09:15:16

kublikhan wrote:I don't think all of the decline in energy intensity is because of cooked books.

Sure, I agree, I read just yesterday that ag directly uses 25% less energy than in 1980, 30% less to make fertilizer and 'cides. Before the '70s we simply didn't think about efficiency, or didn't have technology to help much anyway ie, Low E, argon-filled, triple-pane, thermal break vinyl windows.

OTOH, if I simply look at actual use per person in the US and forget about using GDP as a measure of anything (since it measures everything so effectively measures nothing :-D ) I'm left with the impression that we are not becoming more efficient at all, in fact our transport is less efficient and our housing is just treading water.

It could be that we are all better off with the myriad replacements for Ma Bell's bakelite rotary dial but just because we have more stuff doesn't prove much...

... except that Jeavons was right! :)

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby The Practician » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:02:27

Pops wrote:
OTOH, if I simply look at actual use per person in the US and forget about using GDP as a measure of anything (since it measures everything so effectively measures nothing :-D ) I'm left with the impression that we are not becoming more efficient at all, in fact our transport is less efficient and our housing is just treading water.

I am reminded of a graph I've seen plotting vehicle average 0-60 times, fuel economy, and weight since the early 70's or so. when the EPA fuel econ. regs went into effect, vehicle weight went steadily down for a few years, while fuel economy went up and 0-60 times got longer. But then a funny thing happened. as soon as the fuel economy targets were being met, the fleet average MPG number leveled off for the next 20 or so years, while average vehicle weight started steadily climbing into Ford Excursion territory, and 0-60 times started dropping towards 60's dragster territory. The end result is that even though vehicles today are much more efficient, they are also much more complicated and expensive. Real gains in efficiency are being flushed down the toilet just so SUV's can go like race cars.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby kublikhan » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 13:49:35

Energy Intensity is not a measure of per capita energy consumption. It is units of energy per unit of GDP. But even using per capita energy consumption, even that went down. We are using less energy per capita today than we did in 1978. We got more efficient, but per capita energy consumption is down. Jevons was wrong. Also, GDP has been skyrocketing while energy use per capita is down:

Long-term real growth in US GDP per capita 1871-2009
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby The Practician » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 14:15:25

kublikhan wrote:Energy Intensity is not a measure of per capita energy consumption. It is units of energy per unit of GDP. But even using per capita energy consumption, even that went down. We are using less energy per capita today than we did in 1978. We got more efficient, but per capita energy consumption is down. Jevons was wrong. Also, GDP has been skyrocketing while energy use per capita is down:

Long-term real growth in US GDP per capita 1871-2009

I don't disagree with any of this. When you look at these numbers you see progress, while I see a gaping black hole that cannot be filled.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 14:25:14

kublikhan wrote:BP is saying all countries are seeing their energy intensity drop, including developing countries. Check out the graph in my very first link. China went from about 1.2 tonnes of oil equivalent per unit of GDP in 1960 to about .2 tonnes today, or about 1/6th as much. The world average did not drop nearly as significantly. It went from something like .25 tonnes in 1970 to about .15 tonnes today.
Another issue is, energy expenditure as a % of GDP grows with energy prices:
http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.o ... nt-GDP.jpg (graph is 3 pixels too wide for PO.com :x )
link
According to their definition, increasing energy prices make the economy appear less energy intensive, not because it is physically more efficient, but because these are not independent variables they're graphing. I don't think this accounts for the whole effect, but it would seem to exaggerate it.

I'd like to see a graph of energy expenditure per $1000 of the non-energy part of GDP.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 20:18:41

Some have complained that GDP is too all encompassing. Others that we don't know how much of that fall in energy intensity came from efficiency improvements vs other factors. So I got figures that break down the energy intensity per sector and how much came from efficiency improvements.

Negative values indicate falling intensity(less energy use), positive values indicate rising intensity(more energy use):

Highlights Summary of Intensity Changes - Total Energy 1985-2004
Simple E/GDP Ratio: -27%
Economy-wide Energy Intensity Index: -10%
Transportation: -14%
Industrial: -19%
Residential Buildings: -9%
Commercial Buildings: +12%

While this is an impressive record of achievement, the simple E/GDP ratio measure of energy intensity overstates the extent to which energy efficiency improvements have occurred in the economy, because factors that affect intensity that are unrelated to the efficiency of energy use are included in the ratio. As indicated in Figure 1, between 1985 and 2004, energy intensity, based on total energy and as measured by our newly developed index fell by 10%, considerably less than the simple E/GDP ratio would indicate. This 10% change over this 19-year period corresponds to an average annual percentage reduction in energy intensity of 0.56% per year. Other explanatory factors unrelated to efficiency improvements contributed to a decline in energy use of 17% between 1985 and 2004.

Issues Related to Other Explanatory Factors. Although the system of indicators tracks energy intensity over time, it also identifies and isolates other changes that are going on in the economy that have no bearing on the efficiency with which energy is used. These changes are referred to as structural changes. These structural elements give rise to a change in energy use per unit measure of output, but do not reflect improvements in the underlying efficiency of energy use. For example, the electronics industry may grow much faster than the steel industry over time, and since electronics are substantially less energy intensive than steel, this growth creates the impression that the manufacturing sector is less energy intensive than before.
Energy Intensity Indicators

To summarize this data, energy intensity in the US dropped 27% between 1985 and 2004. Efficiency improvements were responsible for roughly 1/3rd of that drop. The other 2/3rds came from other factors, such as a larger share of manufacturing coming from low energy electronics instead of high energy steel.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pops » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 20:30:45

kublikhan wrote:Energy Intensity is not a measure of per capita energy consumption. It is units of energy per unit of GDP. But even using per capita energy consumption, even that went down.

In 2008 the US used 95% as much energy per person as in 1978.

So we learned how to make more stuff with less energy, so what? The fact remains each American used 8 tons (+/- .5 ton) of oil equivalent energy per year those last 30 years.

Do we have more stuff? Sure.
Do we use less energy? Not really.

We used the energy savings to make more stuff to get those pesky landfills completed, if that's improved energy intensity then OK.

Jeavons could have been Sam Waltons patron saint:
Pay less, Buy More! WalMart!
:lol:

World wide looks different and completely Jeavon-esqe since technology has indeed increased consumption as more and more people were able to afford cheap '90s FFs. It's yet to be seen how long that BrIC bump that started around 2000 can last:

I'm being a bit contrary, of course we've learned how to be more efficient and that makes things cheaper. On the macro level and as far as conservation and PO go it doesn't matter since we just turned around and wasted the proceeds on beanbag chairs and exurban commutes.
But on the micro level, if a person chooses not to waste the efficiency gains - Don't Buy all the stuff - then jeavons is no paradox, it's the key to living the low life (or prepping for what's next) because everything is cheaper than it otherwise would have been!
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby The Practician » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 20:39:34

kublikhan wrote:Some have complained that GDP is too all encompassing. Others that we don't know how much of that fall in energy intensity came from efficiency improvements vs other factors. So I got figures that break down the energy intensity per sector and how much came from efficiency improvements.

Negative values indicate falling intensity(less energy use), positive values indicate rising intensity(more energy use):

Highlights Summary of Intensity Changes - Total Energy 1985-2004
Simple E/GDP Ratio: -27%
Economy-wide Energy Intensity Index: -10%
Transportation: -14%
Industrial: -19%
Residential Buildings: -9%
Commercial Buildings: +12%

While this is an impressive record of achievement, the simple E/GDP ratio measure of energy intensity overstates the extent to which energy efficiency improvements have occurred in the economy, because factors that affect intensity that are unrelated to the efficiency of energy use are included in the ratio. As indicated in Figure 1, between 1985 and 2004, energy intensity, based on total energy and as measured by our newly developed index fell by 10%, considerably less than the simple E/GDP ratio would indicate. This 10% change over this 19-year period corresponds to an average annual percentage reduction in energy intensity of 0.56% per year. Other explanatory factors unrelated to efficiency improvements contributed to a decline in energy use of 17% between 1985 and 2004.

Issues Related to Other Explanatory Factors. Although the system of indicators tracks energy intensity over time, it also identifies and isolates other changes that are going on in the economy that have no bearing on the efficiency with which energy is used. These changes are referred to as structural changes. These structural elements give rise to a change in energy use per unit measure of output, but do not reflect improvements in the underlying efficiency of energy use. For example, the electronics industry may grow much faster than the steel industry over time, and since electronics are substantially less energy intensive than steel, this growth creates the impression that the manufacturing sector is less energy intensive than before.
Energy Intensity Indicators

To summarize this data, energy intensity in the US dropped 27% between 1985 and 2004. Efficiency improvements were responsible for roughly 1/3rd of that drop. The other 2/3rds came from other factors, such as a larger share of manufacturing coming from low energy electronics instead of high energy steel.

Fair enough, if people are content to amuse themselves with I pads instead of bass boats, I imagine that could have quite the effect on energy intensity. Lets not forget, though that electronic gee-gaws are made of natural resources that need to be mined and refined just like anything else, and I'm not so sure the numbers for those activities are being accurately represented in the data if those activities are not being conducted where the data was collected.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby kublikhan » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 16:39:45

Pops wrote:The fact remains each American used 8 tons (+/- .5 ton) of oil equivalent energy per year those last 30 years.

Do we have more stuff? Sure.
Do we use less energy? Not really.

We used the energy savings to make more stuff to get those pesky landfills completed, if that's improved energy intensity then OK. Jeavons could have been Sam Waltons patron saint:
Pay less, Buy More! WalMart! I'm being a bit contrary, of course we've learned how to be more efficient and that makes things cheaper. On the macro level and as far as conservation and PO go it doesn't matter since we just turned around and wasted the proceeds on beanbag chairs and exurban commutes.
That's how capitalism works. It always needs growth. More, More, More. Capitalism cannot function in a steady state, it needs growth to survive. This was discussed in the Crisis of Capitalism thread.

I'm afraid Pops you seems to be stuck in an economic quandary. On the one hand you want to keep our capitalist system, at least the basics. On the other hand, you want to dispatch this senseless drive to turn energy and resources into landfills. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways. The 2 go hand in hand.

This is a good paper on the subject of why steady state capitalism is a farce:
Beyond growth or beyond capitalism?
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 18:14:09

kublikhan wrote:steady state capitalism is a farce

1. In few years "steady state" will seem like the good old days. Just wait until global oil production starts shrinking 3-7% every year.

2. There is no evidence that socialism or communism will cope any better with shrinking global energy supplies then capitalism will. For example, Cuba (a communist country with a purportedly socialist economic system) suffered a major decade-long economic collapse complete with famines and malnutrition when the USSR stopped sending them subsidized energy.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 18:44:32

kublikhan wrote:I'm afraid Pops you seems to be stuck in an economic quandary. On the one hand you want to keep our capitalist system, at least the basics. On the other hand, you want to dispatch this senseless drive to turn energy and resources into landfills.

Well Kub, you've gone a step beyond me, I wasn't advocating anything except the irrelevance of "energy Intensity" by pointing out that we are using more energy per person than ever.

I think that is an important distinction because I've seen reduced EI used as a stand in for technology will save us. At least from the standpoint of reducing consumption - at this point anyway, that's obviously wrong.

Thanks for the link, I'll read it and think about the quandary you see me in and get back to you. :)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 19:06:16

kublikhan wrote:To summarize this data, energy intensity in the US dropped 27% between 1985 and 2004. Efficiency improvements were responsible for roughly 1/3rd of that drop. The other 2/3rds came from other factors, such as a larger share of manufacturing coming from low energy electronics instead of high energy steel.

I think you've got this right, and I also think your point about the massive use of low energy electronics (at least in the first world) is a major point I was going to bring up until you did.

Pops and others are right that we've wasted much of the savings, often very stupidly. However, we don't HAVE to. Necessity is the mother of invention, after all. If things continue getting tougher, whether it's because of Peak Oil, automation destroying jobs, climate issues, population pressures, unexpected bad side effects of technology (recent news on corn becoming resistant to Monsanto's anti-ringworm genetic modifications comes to mind) -- or "all of the above", as I personally believe -- people WILL adapt, because they will be forced to.

People may not LIKE it, but they can live without 27 electronic IPAD equivalents piled up (or running aimlessly) in their houses, for example. They CAN drive a fuel efficient car. (Great strides ARE being made in hybrids). Healthy people can bike and walk more.

If things get really tough (gasp) people can actually THINK before they have a large brood of kids, when they see the government doesn't keep automatically giving them tax breaks, etc. to raise. :shock:

This is why I'm a moderate. There's plenty of room between boom times and actual "doom" times -- even if the current spoiled reaction of the "government should take care of me" crowd is histrionics when ANY program cut is contemplated.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Pops » Mon 05 Sep 2011, 14:22:36

kublikhan wrote:Capitalism cannot function in a steady state, it needs growth to survive. This was discussed in the Crisis of Capitalism thread.

I'm afraid Pops you seems to be stuck in an economic quandary. On the one hand you want to keep our capitalist system, at least the basics. On the other hand, you want to dispatch this senseless drive to turn energy and resources into landfills. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways. The 2 go hand in hand.

This is a good paper on the subject of why steady state capitalism is a farce:
Beyond growth or beyond capitalism?

That's a good article Kub but it leaves out one thing and of course that's energy and more to the point, peak energy.

All the economic philosophers since the industrial revolution have taken for granted that energy growth will continue forever the article merely overlays the idea that no growth would be a choice. You and I both agree that we won't have the luxury of making a choice, growth will stop when the oil slaves are gone.

But luckily, every argument put forth by the author against no growth capitalism doesn't outline something concrete to prevent it but only of things desired; shareholders want growth, producers want higher profits, corporations want to expand, consumers want more possessions. Well of course we do, we're greedy shortsighted monkeys - what should we expect? :-D

I think economics is fun to speculate about, like angels on a pin head (or pin-heads speculating about angels) but it's almost as big an airball as advertising as far as philosophy goes. Fossil fueled industrialization pretty well changed Adam Smiths basic notions:
“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we can expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”

He wasn't talking about Rupert Murdoch or JP Morgan or Warren Buffet (or Marx or Lenin) just a guy baking a loaf in his oven for a profit.

Anyway, since we agree reverse growth will not be a choice but a given, what then? The author gives the answer and it's right along the lines of Smith:
Of course there are some, typically small, privately-owned businesses, or niche industries -- farms, restaurants, mom-and-pop stores, landlords, as well as larger sole ownerships, partnerships, and family-owned businesses which can, if they so choose, carry on producing and marketing more or less the same level of output year-in year-out so long as they don’t face immediate competition -- because the owners of such businesses do not have to answer to other owners, to shareholders.

So there you have it, it isn't a question of growth or no-growth at all but the simple fact of reverse growth. The only question is whether to will be private ownership or communal ownership, I prefer it to be private -
Someone earning money by his own labor benefits himself. Unknowingly, he also benefits society, because to earn income on his labor in a competitive market, he must produce something others value. In Adam Smith’s lasting imagery, “By directing that industry in such a manner as its produce may be of greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 05 Sep 2011, 18:40:27

Pops wrote:That's a good article Kub but it leaves out one thing and of course that's energy and more to the point, peak energy.

All the economic philosophers since the industrial revolution have taken for granted that energy growth will continue forever the article merely overlays the idea that no growth would be a choice. You and I both agree that we won't have the luxury of making a choice, growth will stop when the oil slaves are gone.
No, his point was that capitalism cannot survive in a no growth scenario. Not that growth is a choice:

Daly and the anti-growth school are certainly right that we need to break out of the “iron cage of consumerism,” “downshift” to a simpler life, find meaning and self-realization in promoting the common good instead of accumulating stuff. They call for an environmentally rational economy that conserves nature and resources for the benefit of our children and theirs, instead of consuming the whole planet right now. They call for a redistribution of wealth to those in need and for the construction of a society based not on possessive individualism but on a decent material sufficiency for everyone on the planet. And they call for a moral and spiritual transformation of our values away from materialism. Those are admirable goals. But we can’t do any of those things under capitalism because under capitalism, we’re all just rats racing in Paul Krugman’s cages. We can’t stop consuming more and more because if we stop racing, the system collapses into crisis. So it follows that we need a completely different kind of economic system, a non-capitalist economic system based on human needs, environmental needs, and a completely different value system, not on profit.

The author also mentions energy and states that even if we replaced all of those oil slaves with clean renewable energy, we would still have a problem:
In Growth Isn’t Possible Simms and his co-author Victoria Johnson reviewed all the existing proposed models for dealing with climate change and energy use including renewable, carbon capture and storage, nuclear, and even geo-engineering, and concluded that these are “potentially dangerous distractions from more human-scale solutions” and that there are “no magic bullets” to save us. The report concludes that even if we were to rapidly transition to an entirely clean energy -based economy, this would not suffice to save us because: “Globally, we are consuming nature’s services – using resources and creating carbon emissions – 44 percent faster than nature can regenerate and reabsorb what we consume and the waste we produce. In other words . . . if the whole world wished to consume at the same rate it would require 3.4 planets like Earth.” Given these facts and trends, Simms and Johnson argue, we have no choice but to bring average global growth to a halt

Pops wrote:But luckily, every argument put forth by the author against no growth capitalism doesn't outline something concrete to prevent it but only of things desired; shareholders want growth, producers want higher profits, corporations want to expand, consumers want more possessions. Well of course we do, we're greedy shortsighted monkeys - what should we expect?
You missed the flipside of the coin to all of that monkey greed. Sure, you can take tell the shareholders to piss off, the consumers they can't have anymore toys. But in the same breath, you are also advocating all of the associated ills that occur when a capitalist economy goes into stasis or reverse:

Of course there are times when capitalist economies do slow down, and grind along in a sort of stasis -- but that’s even worse. Since the fall of 2008 when the world economy suddenly ground to a halt, we’ve been treated to a preview of what a no-growth stasis economy would look like under capitalism. It’s not a pretty sight: capital destruction, mass unemployment, devastated communities, foreclosures, spreading poverty and homelessness, school closures, and environmental considerations shunted aside in the all-out effort to restore growth. That is “stasis” under capitalism. In one of his books, Daly wrote with some exasperation, “must we [grow] beyond the optimum, just to keep up the momentum of growth for the sake of avoiding unemployment?” Well, yes actually, because under capitalism workers don’t have job security like tenured professors. This fact may partially explain why it is that, despite all the anti-growth books published since the 1970s, there is no public support out there for a capitalist steady-state economy. And why should there be? Why would anyone want a steady-state capitalist economy? Poll after poll shows that ordinary citizens want to see the environment cleaned up, want to see a stop to the pillage of the planet, the threat of destruction of their children’s future. But as workers in a capitalist economy, “no growth” just means no jobs. If limits to growth are imposed, and some industries have to cut back, where would laid-off workers find re-employment? And if the economy does not continuously grow (quantitatively), where would the jobs come from for the workers’ children? Today, in the United States, there are said to be at least seven applicants for every available job. Where are those other six people going to find jobs if there is no growth? And this situation is far worse in the developing world where unemployment levels are off the charts. So throughout the world, given capitalism, the only hope for workers is more growth. As a recent headline in the satirical weekly The Onion ran: “Masses Clamor for New Bubble.”

Pops wrote:Anyway, since we agree reverse growth will not be a choice but a given, what then? The author gives the answer and it's right along the lines of Smith
I think you misread what that author was saying there. He wasn't listing those things as a viable alternative to growth capitalism. He listed those things as an exception to the rule, because they have no competition. If all of a sudden we have legions of unemployed because the growth sector of capitalism is shrinking and laying off workers, do you expect all of them to start or work for mom & pop shops? Remember the earlier quote that for every job opening there were seven applicants? These guys don't have the capital to start their own business. And even if they did, if all of a sudden there was suddenly six new competitors springing up for existing mom & pop shops, how long would they stay in business?
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Next

Return to Conservation & Efficiency