Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hot enough to grow orchids in there...

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Hot enough to grow orchids in there...

Unread postby hope_full » Fri 30 Jan 2009, 22:13:20

This new president, Mr. Hussein Obama, who promises us energy independence and development of new energy technologies, keeps the Oval Office so hot, "you could grow orchids in there."

I'd like to make a little wager that two years from now, his approval ratings will be lower than President Bush's.

How can anyone rail at us to "sacrifice" for our country and also make long, flowery speeches about the importance of energy independence and then crank up the heat because he doesn't like it cold?

Stinkin' hypocrite.

Mr Obama's sartorial standards are looser than Mr Bush's. The report said the US capital "flew into a bit of a tizzy" when, on his first full day in the White House, Mr Obama was photographed in the Oval Office without his suit jacket. There was, however, a logical explanation, the paper found: Mr Obama, who hates the cold, had cranked up the thermostat.

"He's from Hawaii, OK?" Mr Axelrod told the paper. "He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there."

That put an end to a rule of Mr Bush's administration -- coat and tie in the Oval Office at all times.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 48,00.html
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Hot enough to grow orchids in there...

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 30 Jan 2009, 22:54:18

Jimmy Carter was honest enough to turn down the White House thermostat and put on a sweater before asking his fellow Americans to follow his lead and conserve energy.

In contrast, Barrack Obama pumps up the White House thermostat into the 80s so he is nice and warm and toasty, and then he tells Americans they must turn down their thermostats and use less energy.

BO could get away with this kind of hypocrisy in Illinois, where the polticians are corrupt and the press is their lapdog, but on the national stage Obama just looks like a dope when he gets caught at this kind of stupidity. :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kpeavey » Fri 30 Jan 2009, 23:42:54

Is there no landlord thermostat control in public housing?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 00:58:30

So Earl Butz was right?
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 01:08:08

Seriously, just go stand out in the street and scream

"N####r! N####r! N####r! N####r! N####r!"

Get it out of your system. You'll feel better.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 04:51:28

ROFL. thanks for the laugh... luckily I just managed to not get cottage cheese all over my monitor.

+5 for Preston and Pstarr
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby cephalotus » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 06:13:14

most orchids don't like it hot btw...
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 11:32:46

pstarr wrote:My passive solar heated home in coastal california doesn't even need a thermostat. Na na na na.

We don't use a thermostat either.

So there!

:P
Ludi

Unread postby blukatzen » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 15:32:28

Plantagenet wrote:BO could get away with this kind of hypocrisy in Illinois, where the polticians are corrupt and the press is their lapdog,

Plants! Did you NOT KNOW that we here in Illinois just IMPEACHED our crook Gov. Blago and replaced him with a VERY decent hard-working man, is famous for fighting for "the little guy". His name is Patrick Quinn, and he doesn't have any taint attached to him, in fact just the opposite.
As for the press in Illinois, nothing could be farther from the truth with the above statement. The press HAS been honest, it's just that the system WAS so pervasive, it didn't have as much "crunch" to it's bite.

When I witnessed the speeches of the Senators from Illinois on how bad they look in front of the whole country, and have their name attached to an impeachment hearing forever, they "figured" out that they had to start seeing the light.

Things are going to start changing around here, and real soon. Most are afraid or tired of being the laughing stock of the nation. It's not "business as usual" anymore. Blago tried that trick and actually used that statement when he gave his last speech in front of the Senate, and it came right back and bit him on the ass.

In these trying times, people in their State Houses and Senates actually *have* to be accountable to their people.

Winds of change are blowing through....

Blu
blukatzen
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lateStarter » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 15:35:22

OK. So now we can add Hope_full to the list (Plant and Cbxer) to vote off the island.

I have no idea how the mod's tolerate this stuff!
We have been brought into the present condition in which we are unable neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them. - Livy
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 18:20:39

blukatzen wrote:Winds of change are blowing through....

Sorry. This is peakoil.com. Hope isn't allowed. Only the comforting singular constant of cynical fatalism.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 18:26:00

lateStarter wrote:I have no idea how the mod's tolerate this stuff!

We need oil to spike back up to $150 bbl so people can start talking about PEAK OIL again. This site jumped the shark when oil tanked.
mos6507

Unread postby blukatzen » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 19:03:16

mos6507 wrote:
blukatzen wrote:Winds of change are blowing through....

Sorry. This is peakoil.com. Hope isn't allowed. Only the comforting singular constant of cynical fatalism.

I am aware that is the singular flavor of lollipop that you like to suck on, Mos. I've always found it too....sour for my tastes.

As always, Mos, to each their own!

Blu
blukatzen
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Sat 31 Jan 2009, 19:05:33

lateStarter wrote:OK. So now we can add Hope_full to the list (Plant and Cbxer) to vote off the island.

I have no idea how the mod's tolerate this stuff!

It's been tough. We've had to break into our emergency survival supplies a bit. But we'll survive until the site recovers.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BucksHaven » Wed 04 Feb 2009, 12:54:57

A simple solution. The White House is now owned by him. It is owned by the citizens of the United States of America. Any setting over 68 degrees should come out of his salary. Every other American has to pay for the're heating and cooling, why should he get a free ride.
BucksHaven
Wood
Wood

Return to Conservation & Efficiency