Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Energy Waste Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Efficiency improvements = "nega-barrels"?

Unread postby tkn317071 » Fri 18 Jun 2004, 17:05:21

I hope the fact that no one seems to be talking about improving efficiency (minimizing waste) as one strategy (for coping with the peak) is because it is taken for granted. I think it was Amory Lovins who spoke about "negawatts" (saving electricity) as an important component of achieving a sustainable energy regime. It seems only logical that the same concept would apply to oil.

Isn't part of the problem simply that we are way too wasteful with our resources right now? In the face of peak oil, it shouldn't be politically untenable to actively promote and enforce efficiency.

I don't know if determining the viability of alternatives such as hydrogen, ethanol, methanol, etc. on the assumption that demand (for fuels) remains the same and increasing, is reasonable.

Or am I wrong in my assessment that we are currently very wasteful and in fact we are very efficient in our use of petroleum?
tkn317071
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Chicagoan » Sat 19 Jun 2004, 03:34:56

Society has to commit itself to reducing energy consumption. Only then will consumtion decrease.
Chicagoan
Lignite
Lignite

Energy Waste: Nighttime photo

Unread postby Mark_i » Tue 16 Nov 2004, 10:14:56

A picture often tells one more than 1000 words...
Who wastes most energy can easily be seen here, as brightness should be proportional to the product of energy-use and population density:
if you're looking for a quiet piece of land without too many people living there, this should be helpful in most cases, too::twisted:
Mark_i
Peat
Peat

Location: Bavaria, Germany - for the Americans here: this is in Europa ;o)

Unread postby khebab » Tue 16 Nov 2004, 12:34:18

Do we have an estimate of the amount of energy wasted by these lights? in particular those placed on deserted roadways?

It seems to me that there are potentially huge energy savings we can make here? or is it peanuts?
khebab
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Licho » Tue 16 Nov 2004, 14:33:28

Public lights really eat only minimal energy :-)

But this image looks cool, I'v seen it long time ago. Notice how Nile shines or how North Korea is not visible at all while South Korea shines brightly.. Interesting..
Licho
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Terran » Wed 17 Nov 2004, 20:49:33

Seems like developing countries have more people but they don't give off more light, because they don't consume much. Look at the industrialized countries they're really bright. Vegas is the brightest city in the world, from what I heard.

And notice the long lines going across Russia, thats the trans-Sibarian railroad.
Terran
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Carmiac » Wed 17 Nov 2004, 21:45:24

We have a huge one of these on a wall at work. I love picking out things on it.

Some of my favorites:
The town I live in is just barely visible.
The Nile River
The Midwestern US grid of towns
Trans-Siberian Railroad
India-Chinese border
Isreal
Carmiac
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lotrfan55345 » Wed 17 Nov 2004, 22:56:35

Japan looks so "out there".
lotrfan55345
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Terran » Thu 18 Nov 2004, 04:50:28

Yes, they're cities are covered with lights. Look at Tokyo with a population of over 28 million, and the streets are filled with neon lights.
Terran
Coal
Coal

Re: A picture often tells one more than 1000 words...

Unread postby Kingcoal » Thu 18 Nov 2004, 11:04:18

Mark_i wrote:Who wastes most energy can easily be seen here, as brightness should be proportional to the product of energy-use and population density:
if you're looking for a quiet piece of land without too many people living there, this should be helpful in most cases, too::twisted:

Well Mark, if you're using nighttime lighting as a guide to finding peace and quiet, it looks like you're shit out of luck in Europe:
Europe
Just another case of the pot calling the kettle black...
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Schneider » Sun 12 Dec 2004, 20:25:31

Hmm,Cubans are really alone in the dark 8) ..

Hey,Quebec province seem to have a lot of place to hide :lol: (good for me) !

Schneider
French-Canadian
Schneider
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: A picture often tells one more than 1000 words...

Unread postby Bytesmiths » Fri 24 Dec 2004, 19:23:57

Mark_i wrote:if you're looking for a quiet piece of land without too many people living there, this should be helpful in most cases, too
Yea, I think I'll move to Saharan Africa or North Korea... sometimes, "quiet piece of land" is overrated!
:::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality, a forming sustainable community. Be the change! ::::
Bytesmiths
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Homemade video of wasted energy

Unread postby frankthetank » Sat 05 Nov 2005, 11:18:46

The water enters the first video and then empties right behind me (about 10-15feet or so) with about a drop of 6-8ft. The flow right now is around 30,000CFS.

Couldn't this be converted easily to produce hydoelectricity?

Click here to watch free-energy

Click here to watch free-energy2

The arrow shows where the video was taken.
Last edited by frankthetank on Sat 05 Nov 2005, 12:03:54, edited 1 time in total.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Homemade video of wasted energy

Unread postby Starvid » Sat 05 Nov 2005, 11:39:47

I can't open those links, but maybe this can give you inspiration. http://www.otherpower.com/scotthydro1.html

The energy you can get per second is E=m*g*h.

m is mass, and since one litre water weighs one kg you only have to measure litres per second to get value m. g is the gravity acceleration constant, approximately 9,8. h is the height of the drop, called head. If the drop is 6 feet, that's 2 meters.

30 CFS is 30*28= 840 litres.

OK, let's count.

m= 840 kg

g= 9,8

h= 2,0 m

E= 840*9,8*2,0= 16464 joules/second = 16 kW.

Not bad at all.

edit: Implemented 30,000 CFS

edit2: Is the flow 30 or 30 thousand cubic foot per second? If it is thirty thousand the effect would be 16 MW.
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby frankthetank » Sat 05 Nov 2005, 11:53:27

The water flowing through these videos is mostly Mississippi river water with another river (maybe a 2-5miles upstream) adding a little or a lot depending on its flow (Black River). There are 2 of these spillways and one lock and dam. The other spillway is older.

I wonder why no one has thought of using this for power use?
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby frankthetank » Sat 05 Nov 2005, 11:55:16

Thousand...the video is hosted by putfile and it .wmv format. Around 4-7mb...I could host it on google video if its not working for people.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Devil » Sat 05 Nov 2005, 12:06:12

The videos are far too slow to download. After 2 min, only 3% is buffered.

The theoretical power available as calculated above should be divided by 1.3 to 3 to represent the conversion efficiency, depending on the turbine design, in turn depending on the constancy of the flowrate. A small head like that does not really lend itself to high efficiencies.
Devil
Devil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Why we waste oil

Unread postby Elan_Rasa » Wed 12 Jul 2006, 17:40:41

Observation: We tend to waste oil and don't use it responsibly (especially the US).
This point can be argued, but when you consider that about 3% of the world's pop is using 25% of the world's oil, I consider most of it's use as wasteful. Consider that most of the oil goes towards transportation purposes and maintaining an infrastructure (suburbia) that is a waste of most of our resources.

Bear with me for a moment. Suppose that you agree with the first point. Why do we waste so much? Are we, as a nation, inherently wasteful? Why do we consume so much and end up throwing so much away? Why did we build an infrastructure (extensive highway system with suburban sprawl) that is not sustainable?

Before giving my opinion, let me share a little about my background that guides my views on this. I was born in a "third world country" and lived a simple life (my family were mostly farmers -- really small scale, enough to live). While living there, nothing was wasted (even chicken feet were made into soup). Then I moved to the US when I was a child (and I consider myself fortunate to have done that). Though we didn't have much, relatively speaking from my past experience we had a lot (food, clothing, etc) and tended to waste more (buy more food than needed, clothes, etc). Later I became a poor college student (full time student and worked 30hrs per week to pay for tuition, supplies) and I tended to be very careful with my money and was very frugal... cheap, some would say. Once I started working I still saved alot and it wasn't until later that I noticed that I would also waste a lot of my money on silly stuff.

This brings me back to my original question. Why do we waste so much oil? To put it simply, we do it because we can. We built a suburbian nightmare b/c we had the means. We had tons of fuel inefficient cars b/c we had plenty of cheap oil. If each person tends to waste more as they accumulate more resources, then collectively as a nation we will waste more of everything (come on, bottled water!)

There are two problems with this argument. One is that it is based on my personal experience. Second, not everyone is the same (there are some rich individuals who are very frugal). However, as a whole, a society that has more will waste more. If so, then this wasteful behavior that has put us in such trouble, has occurred in other societies in the past and could have occurred anywhere today (misuse of oil).

Thoughts? Have you observed similar things?
Elan_Rasa
Peat
Peat

Re: Why we waste oil

Unread postby rogerhb » Wed 12 Jul 2006, 18:04:53

It is because we are a greedy selfish species who do not know the meaning of the word "enough", heavily discount the future, expect tomorrow to always be like today only better and avoid thinking like the plague.

We also think that those we elect will, for some bizarre reason, look after our interests.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Why we waste oil

Unread postby Spartan2 » Wed 12 Jul 2006, 18:08:41

Waste is what keeps our jobs. If we stop buying the "silly stuff" then the people who work on the making of that stuff will lose their jobs; if we drive less (by walking more or using more public transit) then we won't need to buy as many cars and the auto industry and all the other industries that depend on it will be hurt; if we stop suburban sprawl then the construction industry will suffer, etc...

The fact is we need to consume more if we want our economies to grow.
Spartan2
Wood
Wood

Next

Return to Conservation & Efficiency