Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How am I doing?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

How am I doing?

Unread postby HamRadioRocks » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 14:10:58

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

I live in a 768 square foot 1-story house that I rent, and I live alone.

The backyard doesn't have any trees to shade the house, though there is a newly planted tree that will eventually reduce the summer electric bill (probably too late for me, though).

I don't have a washer and dryer in the house, so that artificially holds down my electric bill, though I'm not sure by how much. (I go to the laundromat a few times a month.) My usage history (month/year, kWh, and days in the month, and kWh/day):
11/6 114 29 3.93
10/6 1 28 0.04
9/6 324* 33 9.82
8/6 400 29 13.79
7/6 309 32 9.66
6/6 177* 31 5.71
5/6 103 28 3.68
4/6 144 32 4.5
3/6 192 29 6.62
2/6 203 29 7
1/6 187 33 5.67
12/5 230 32 7.19
11/5 122 28 4.36
10/5 233 32 7.28
9/5 234 28 8.36
8/5 535* 31 17.26
7/5 424 32 13.25

The asterisks are estimates, by the way. There was a change in my billing dates this fall, which explains the 1kWh month. The bill date is in the beginning of the month, so the June bill is low because that's mostly May usage. My 8/06 usage would be higher if I hadn't been on vacation during the hottest week. (Despite going north, I didn't escape the hot weather.) My 1/06 bill would also have been higher if I hadn't been away on vacation for over a week.

How am I doing? I've noticed that my usage is the lowest in the spring and fall, somewhat higher in winter, and MUCH higher in summer.

Any ideas on why my winter electric bills are higher than my spring and fall bills? No, I don't have elaborate Christmas lights. I do use my humidifiers heavily in winter, and the early nightfalls mean that my lights are on for a greater number of hours per day. Or is my greater winter use due to greater use of the computer, DVD player, ham radio, etc. since I spend more time indoors?
HamRadioRocks
Peat
Peat

Re: How am I doing?

Unread postby ReserveGrowthRulz » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 14:41:56

HamRadioRocks wrote:
How am I doing? I've noticed that my usage is the lowest in the spring and fall, somewhat higher in winter, and MUCH higher in summer.

Any ideas on why my winter electric bills are higher than my spring and fall bills? No, I don't have elaborate Christmas lights. I do use my humidifiers heavily in winter, and the early nightfalls mean that my lights are on for a greater number of hours per day. Or is my greater winter use due to greater use of the computer, DVD player, ham radio, etc. since I spend more time indoors?

You know, this is scary. I just did this EXACT same thing to try and figure up how much I'd have to spend on solar to put a dent in my electric use. But what surprises me about your figures are how different they aren't, considering the size of your place and people in it.

I use about 20Kwh's a day in the summer, and you are using about 10-17. I've got some 4000 ft^2, 4 people and a dog, a dedicated computer room with at least 3 boxes running at any given time, washer and electric dryer, TV's everywhere, kids forget to turn out lights, and a 1/2HP electric motor running steady for the evap cooler. I'm only now getting around to those miniature flourescents, yelling at the kids for the turning off lights, standard "save electricity" items prior to a possible solar panel install. I was figuring I could cut my use by 50% without going completely crazy, but geez, it looks like my starting point isn't as awful as I first figured.
So....heading into our 3rd year post peak and I'm still getting caught in traffic jams!! DieOff already!
ReserveGrowthRulz
Permanently Banned

Unread postby HamRadioRocks » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 14:54:09

My gas usage history (bill date, days in month, actual/estimate, therms)
11/7/06 28 Actual 57
10/10/06 27 Actual 25
9/13/06 30 Actual 13
8/14/06 31 Actual 16
7/14/06 30 Actual 15
6/14/06 30 Actual 18
5/15/06 31 Actual 35
4/14/06 29 Actual 59
3/16/06 29 Actual 85
2/15/06 30 Actual 95
1/16/06 33 Actual 37
12/14/05 33 Estimate 161
11/11/05 29 Actual 50
10/13/05 29 Actual 25
9/14/05 30 Actual 14
8/15/05 31 Actual 17
7/15/05 30 Actual 15

As you would expect, my usage is highest in winter and lowest in summer. My 1/16/06 usage was low because I was away for over a week during the preceding month, and the temperatures were exceptionally mild. I also believe that my usage for 12/14/05 was overestimated (though the preceding month was exceptionally cold) , and the gas company had to compensate for this error.

How am I doing? This summer, I turned the water temperature for the thermostat all the way down (down to the "vacation" setting), though it doesn't seem to have helped. (That's probably because the setting was rather low anyway.) My fall 2006 usage is higher than my fall 2005 usage, but fall 2005 was warm while fall 2006 was chilly. (I expect this December's usage to be MUCH lower than last December's simply because it's been MUCH milder than the same period last year.)

Last year, I put a layer of plastic insulation on the exterior of most of my windows. I also kept the thermostat down at 63 degrees last winter.

This year, I've added TWO layers of plastic insulation to the same windows. I've put rope caulking in the cracks around all of my windows. I'm even adding a layer of plastic insulation to the inside of some windows.

That said, how am I doing? I'm sure I'm doing far better than the average person, but that still probably isn't good enough.
HamRadioRocks
Peat
Peat

Unread postby HamRadioRocks » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 15:03:58

This winter, I'm also turning the thermostat even lower than I did last year. Early in the heating season, I had the thermostat at 67 degrees (which felt cryogenic given that I wasn't used to the cold yet) and have been gradually lowering it. I have the thermostat now down to 62 degrees and should have it down to the upper 50s by around January and February. It's MUCH easier to adjust to colder temperatures in winter than hotter temperatures in summer. Given that my Body Mass Index is in the 5th percentile (19.4, male, age 33), I figure everyone else should be able to handle even lower temperatures than I can. (Now why isn't this the case?)
HamRadioRocks
Peat
Peat

Unread postby EnergyHog » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 15:14:10

I somehow talked the wife into going down to 52 degrees last winter. I was worried that pipes near the exterior walls might freeze but they didn't. People that came over asked if our heat was broke. :-D

62 is the minimum this year.
Survive the economic fallout...
PeakEconomy.com
EnergyHog
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Don35 » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 15:27:55

I use a programmable thermostat. It warms the house to 68 in the mornings and just before we get home. It lowers to 50 after we've gone to bed and when we leave for work. Cut my heating bill by at least 30%. Added about a 18" of insulation in the attic, cut the bill more. Added a radiant barrier around the house and in the attic. Not sure if that did much; kinda hard to measure that one. I’ve insulated hot water pipes, put in more efficient windows, a tankless hot water heater (not common yet in the US), etc. Lowered my energy consumption considerably, but not as much as if I had done it all in the building stage. It took several years to do as I could afford it. Lots of ideas out there.
Everybody thinks they're righteous! Adam Baldwin "Jayne" Firefly/Serenity
Don35
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Laughs_Last » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 16:39:11

HamRadioRocks wrote:Any ideas on why my winter electric bills are higher than my spring and fall bills? No, I don't have elaborate Christmas lights. I do use my humidifiers heavily in winter, and the early nightfalls mean that my lights are on for a greater number of hours per day. Or is my greater winter use due to greater use of the computer, DVD player, ham radio, etc. since I spend more time indoors?

The blower fan on your forced air furnace will contribute, possibly more than you'd guess.
Laughs_Last
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Loki » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 17:01:54

Your electricity figures don't look too bad. Your average use over the last 12mos is 209 kWh/mo. Mine is about 169 kWh/mo, but I live in a smaller place (450sf) and my hot water isn't included in that 169 kWh. I also don't have my own washer/dryer (or air conditioner) and I have central heating (oil furnace). Here are my figures for the last 4 years:

There was a big jump in Oct 2005 due entirely to swapping my laptop for a desktop computer. I keep it on most of the time, whether I'm using it or not. I probably shouldn't do that anymore.

One thing that's really helped me understand my electricity use is the Kill-A-Watt meter. Definitely worth picking one up if you're interested in reducing your consumption.

HamRadioRocks wrote:Any ideas on why my winter electric bills are higher than my spring and fall bills? No, I don't have elaborate Christmas lights. I do use my humidifiers heavily in winter, and the early nightfalls mean that my lights are on for a greater number of hours per day. Or is my greater winter use due to greater use of the computer, DVD player, ham radio, etc. since I spend more time indoors?

Your winter usage doesn't look too much higher than fall, but it is a bit more than spring. Whatever difference there is could very well be explained by the factors you outline.

But what's going on with your summer usage? Air conditioning?
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby HamRadioRocks » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 17:20:10

Loki wrote:Your winter usage doesn't look too much higher than fall, but it is a bit more than spring. Whatever difference there is could very well be explained by the factors you outline.

But what's going on with your summer usage? Air conditioning?

My summer usage is from air conditioning. Last year, the landlord planted a tree in the backyard, but it will be years (probably too late for me) before it provides the shade needed to reduce the need for air conditioning. I have a window unit and set it to maintain an indoor temperature of 79 degrees in summer (about 3.5 on the 1-7 scale with 7 being the coolest setting). To conserve energy next summer, I'll use the aluminum-in-the-windows trick again. I'll need to find some form of insulation that will still allow me to open windows. It would also help if I can find a way to withstand an indoor temperature of over 80 degrees.
HamRadioRocks
Peat
Peat

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 18:10:09

EnergyHog wrote:I was worried that pipes near the exterior walls might freeze but they didn't.
Bah! Running water is for weenies! :P
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dooberheim » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 21:08:44

Ceiling fans help a lot, as does an attic fan that draws hot air out of the house.

The design of the house is a big help - when I lived in Florida, one of the apartments I rented was built before A/C. It had 10 foot ceilings and a whole bunch of windows. I had a window A/C but hardly ever had to use it. Pretty neat.

DK
Carpe Scrotum!
dooberheim
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby gego » Sat 02 Dec 2006, 22:39:04

In a world with limited resources, if it makes you feel good to do without so that others can use what you don't plus some, then more power to you.

You know of course that your conservation efforts may help your own pocketbook, but they will hardly solve the energy depletion inevitability.
gego
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sun 03 Dec 2006, 10:28:22

Not bad HamRadioRocks.

With the exception of a wood stove, a solar water heater, and one small (36W) PV panel, my small 3-2 house is all-electric. That is to say, the house does not use natural gas, propane, or fuel oil.
Here's an updated graph of my electric history:

And gego is right. Our conservation efforts ultimately won't make a difference. But it's nice not having huge energy bills.

As you can tell, I've reached a plateau in the last few years after addressing the larger electric appliances, i.e, the electric central heater, electric water heater, and a more efficient AC since 2000.

Sorry about the image size. I'm not sure how to upload a smaller image so one doesn't have to scroll horizontally.
Edit: Fixed width of image, I think....
edited by Aimrehtopyh to preserve page width
Last edited by PeakOiler on Sun 03 Dec 2006, 12:42:35, edited 2 times in total.
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sun 03 Dec 2006, 11:27:04

Just to put things into perspective, what about your car/truck (if you own one?) The average internal combustion engine has, at best, an efficiency of about 30%. That's under ideal operating conditions, such as steady highway travel. If you do a lot of around town driving, I wouldn't be surprised to see that number plummet below 10%.

Why do I bring this up? Well, modern oil/NG furnaces are capable of efficiencies exceeding 90%. Most of your modern home appliances are very efficient. Florescent lights are very efficient.

Maybe that's why 70% of our oil goes into transportation. Want to save oil, park your car, buy locally grown food, don't use air travel and take public transit wherever possible.
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby nocar » Mon 04 Dec 2006, 10:21:47

Thank you, King Coal. I just want to add - do not go by air plane either.

nocar
nocar
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 24 Dec 2006, 04:21:50

My electric bill is always above 1MV lately, laundry and hot water included. I keep my place at 76-80. Frankly I dont see much point in saving electricity/gas as they will be consumed anyway. Freeze myself so someone else will have his place at 80 for cheap a little longer? No, thank u.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Aimrehtopyh » Sun 24 Dec 2006, 15:24:56

You're right, Pretorian. Conservation doesn't make the Big Picture any prettier. On the smaller scale it can make sense though.

Having a smaller utility bill enriches you, leaving you more free to pursue your frivilous or frugal interests.

It also serves as mental training in two ways. A spartan existance can focus the mind, allowing you to think clearly when everyone else is turning on, tuning in, and dropping out to the endorphin-washed consumerist thrall.

The second aspect to the mental training is changing your habits as if energy were expensive. You might look on this as unnecessary extremist asceticism where I'm depriving myself because of my low self esteem. I view it as indulging in a gentle and self-defined learning curve. You might think you know what to do when natural gas is $5 per therm but until you run the experiment and actually find a way to force your usage down to almost nothing you're flying high with false hope. I'd rather learn and adjust now with a full belly and a comfy budget, dooming myself to a panicked crash-course just isn't my style.
"He who makes no mistakes isn't trying hard enough" Genghis Khan
"Everyone here is bribed not to kill each other." foodnotlawns
Coinflation.com
Aimrehtopyh
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby frankthetank » Sun 24 Dec 2006, 16:12:18

I once heated the bedroom, and kept the rest of the house @............................................... 45F i have a pic to confirm this if you need proof! Now its anywhere from 55F (when we are gone) up to 68-70F when we are home. This house needs more insulation. I'm going to start insulating the basement ceiling, because i think the heat is getting down into the basement through the wood and ceramic floors.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Aimrehtopyh » Sun 24 Dec 2006, 16:57:54

Heating the bedrooms and dropping the thermostat? That's exactly what I do. I only take it down to about sixty degrees.

What do you use your basement for? I spend a lot of time in mine. Putting reflectex on the walls was easy, non-invasive, and not terribly expensive. It made the space way more comfortable. Take a look: Link
Tin foil hats are for amateurs, tin foil house is the way to go.

Has anyone else ever gone to the trouble of insulating an interior wall or floor? I seriously doubt that you're losing very much heat through your floor and into your basement. Please give us more info about your house.
Namely: What's the average temp of your basement?
How well have you addressed drafts in the main living space?
What appliances are located in the basement?
When your bare feet hit a forty-five degree tile floor in the morning do you scream like a girl or just pass out?
"He who makes no mistakes isn't trying hard enough" Genghis Khan
"Everyone here is bribed not to kill each other." foodnotlawns
Coinflation.com
Aimrehtopyh
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Laurasia » Mon 25 Dec 2006, 01:18:06

You've got some cute little elves living in your basement, Aimrehtopyh!!

L.
Laurasia
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Conservation & Efficiency