Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

I guess some of us were asleep in chem class that day?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

I guess some of us were asleep in chem class that day?

Unread postby catalytic-chemist » Sun 26 Mar 2006, 01:43:04

Actually to all:

The vapor/surface tension "thing" just doesn't hold up for about 12.5 reasons (basic, surfactant chemistry). :"They" had the same "discussion" back in the 80/90s when gas was expensive (supposedly) and catalytic converters and oxygen sensors were starting to come in to use.

FYI: The acetone is reacting with the catalyst used in the oxygen sensor making the mixture appear" too rich. As a result - the mixture is leaned out by the computer thus the mileage goes up. (bet some you feel pretty "_____") sorry

The reason it does not work the same on all cars is that there are three different metals used as catalysts in O2 sensors: platinum palladium rhodium or in combination. Acetone in combination with NOx (and others criminals) in the exhaust will react differently with each metal to either speed up or slow down the catalytic reaction of the oxygen senor. FYI, I am not talking about the catalytic converter - just to stop about 100 posts.

Question: am I the only one on the planet who remembers this?

The reason I know this in the first place is that I used to work for Exxon; and fyi, the reason they don't put acetone in gas is that it is hard to get it to stay there and second over time it reacts with different kinds of additives in fuel. Which is also a reason why it does not work on some cars - it's the gas not the car. Fyi,fyi - in most cases leave the car sit a week and you will be back to your old mileage. Acetone is a party animal in bad company with gas!

They have had additives in the past with acetone - old news. It is good that it works though! It simply had gotten more news because of the historic price of gas.[fade][u][b]

Also, this is why ASME standards for elastomers used in cars requires (heavily suggests) that all elastomers be tested with acetone - along with other (i.e . MTBE, M85 ...) Once again, very old (but good) news (remembrances)
catalytic-chemist
Wood
Wood

Re: I guess some of us were asleep in chem class that day?

Unread postby aldente » Sun 26 Mar 2006, 04:04:05

Your observation is accurate, however in the larger scheme of things it only qualifies as an insignificant detail.
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby pilferage » Sun 26 Mar 2006, 04:39:35

Soab! So I was right about it making my car run leaner... No wonder I lost so much coolant, at least my headgasket's still intact. :oops:
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. "
pilferage
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pup55 » Sun 26 Mar 2006, 07:56:03

http://peakoil.com/fortopic6172-75.html

This might explain the observation of Strider 3700 who had to replace two oxygen sensors.

Even if it "works" there is no compelling reason that you should do it, for a variety of practical reasons.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby pilferage » Sun 26 Mar 2006, 19:08:16

Could someone explaint to me how the acetone, with a -2 charge, creates less current via the catatlyst than your average diatomic oxygen atom would?

edited for posting the opposite- :lol:
Last edited by pilferage on Wed 29 Mar 2006, 00:12:49, edited 2 times in total.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. "
pilferage
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby grabby » Tue 28 Mar 2006, 14:20:25

I heard putting mothballs in the gas increases the octane and you can really win drag races. also it gives you better mileage.
(Do not try this, its probably an old wives tale from the same guy who told the poodle in the microwave story)

how do mothballs affect the catalytic converters?

2.. How does alcohol ehtanol affect the catalytice O2 sensors?

How does METHANOL affect the catalytic O2 sensors?

4. if methanol destroys the O2 sensors , how does it destoy them? I heard that it does.

This is bad news, because they are going to find out the ONLY real fuel we can use is methanol from coal, and all modern cars will loose their O2 sensors. thats the pits.

Thanks for your great insight on O2 sensors!

NOW A HELPFUL TIP!

WE NOTICE OUR NISSAN ULTIMA IS GETTING LOUSIER AND LOUSIER GASS MILEAGE AND BARELY RUNS. REATHER THAN TAKE IT IN AN HAVE THE SHOP LOOK AT IT THE BOYS TRIED TO FIX IT THEMSELVES, WHICH OF COURSE INVOLVES READING THE MANUAL. DO YOU KNOW THAT THE MANUAL RECOMMENDS REPLACING THE O2 SONSORS EVERY 30,000 MILES?

I NEVER KNEW THA oops my caps are on.
I never knew that. We changes the O2 sensors (150 buck from the deals 70 bucks from shux.

screw em out and screw em in now our mileage is great.

maybe this will help others with poor fuel economy.

thanks.
grabby
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby strider3700 » Tue 28 Mar 2006, 15:19:21

pup55 wrote:http://peakoil.com/fortopic6172-75.html

This might explain the observation of Strider 3700 who had to replace two oxygen sensors.

Even if it "works" there is no compelling reason that you should do it, for a variety of practical reasons.

Well I only had to replace 1 of 2 sensors, and I can't verify that the acetone did it in as it was original at something like 120,000 km.

The fact that acetone made the computer lean the engine out makes sense, I did have more power (measured by butt in seat dyno).

Anyways I won't be running it again. A good tune up will do more to fix things up. plugs are way cheaper then 02 sensors ;)
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Conservation & Efficiency