Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Here's a laugh - energy conservation for the rich

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Here's a laugh - energy conservation for the rich

Unread postby Denny » Sat 20 Aug 2005, 13:08:52

Yep, even the wealthy are doing their part for energy efficiency...

From the Toronto Star Energy efficiency the next big trend: Baghai

This is an excerpt:

Like some fervent born-again missionary, Shane Baghai, the monster-home builder is on a quest to save Canadians from the culture of excess.

"We have taken things for granted too long. We must encourage builders to talk about energy efficiency," says Baghai in an interview over lunch at a Japanese restaurant in a north Toronto hotel.

You might be forgiven at this point for thinking that Baghai has been kidnapped and brainwashed by a SWAT team from Greenpeace.

Many of his clients have their own residential spa complete with whirlpool, sauna and indoor pool, never mind the five-minute shower.

American rock star Prince — not known for living a life of parsimony — lives in a Baghai-built home, as does Canadian icon Gordon Lightfoot. Still, at least outwardly, Baghai is the same old Baghai, dressed as always in a distinguished custom suit, which he accessorizes with his impeccable old-world courtliness.

And, granted, he has made some moves toward personal sustainability, downscaling from a 36,000-square-foot mansion on the Bridle Path to a mere 15,000 square feet (only as big as, say, seven typical homes) a couple streets away. And he arrives at lunch in a brand new, top-of-the-line, $140,000 Mercedes coupe instead of a Bentley. But does that qualify?

"Is it a crime if a blind person wakes up and sees reality? I simply started to open my eyes and ears," Baghai says passionately when met with some skepticism.

"Who says I know anything about sustainable building? All I know is that you have to embrace change, because change will hit you like a bullet, and you want to be with the bullet, not on the other end."

To that end, Baghai has embarked on his grandest, and perhaps boldest, project yet. ... So, on a 7.5-acre site near Bayview and Sheppard Aves. in North York, he has developed a unique townhouse and condominium project that will incorporate a basket of futuristic gadgetry designed to save energy.

The St. Gabriel site, when finished, will probably use solar and wind energy, and will be built with vehicles that may be powered by hydrogen or fuel-cell technology. Each home will be individually metered so residents will be responsible for their own use of energy. Even the wealthy, it seems, are concerned about saving a buck or two.

"Something like this has been long overdue. In a way, it is a bit of an experiment, a grand experiment," says Baghai.

The first 102 suites of St. Gabriel Village were launched in May, targeted at downsizers from the immediate area. The project is 80 per cent sold, and Baghai is launching phase two in September.

Prices will range from almost $500,000 for a starter suite to $1.6 million, offering plenty of Baghai's luxury touches, including granite and marble finishes, elevators in townhomes and a complimentary consultation with an interior designer. For the smaller suites, Baghai plans to offer a free year's use of a Toronto Transit Commission Metropass, which residents, if they feel like slumming it, can use on the nearby Sheppard subway line.

I guess we can all feel good now, knowing that this energy convervation effort is shared experience among all members of society. Man, he even downsized from a 35,000 square foot to a mere 15,000 square foot home!
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Conservation & Efficiency