Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Next 34 Days

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

The Next 34 Days

Unread postby MD » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 17:10:04

Monday is a big day. The electoral college meets at their respective capitols to cast their votes. Despite some dissent and a massive effort to by the left powers to swing enough votes to disrupt the count, it's not looking likely to succeed.

Once past that, we have a month to see what new efforts develop. Attempts at the president-elect's life are on the wish list of many crazies, no doubt, but are also unlikely to succeed (I hope!).

Other challenges may appear. I expect other challenges to appear. The "left powers" are hell-bent to stop this presidency from happening. It's anyone's best guess to imagine how events will play out.

So. What's your best guess?

My hope is for an seamless transfer of power. Anything else, at this point, will be very bad for US.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Re: The Next 34 Days

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 17:26:27

MD wrote:Monday is a big day. The electoral college meets at their respective capitols to cast their votes. Despite some dissent and a massive effort to by the left powers to swing enough votes to disrupt the count, it's not looking likely to succeed.

Once past that, we have a month to see what new efforts develop. Attempts at the president-elect's life are on the wish list of many crazies, no doubt, but are also unlikely to succeed (I hope!).

Other challenges may appear. I expect other challenges to appear. The "left powers" are hell-bent to stop this presidency from happening. It's anyone's best guess to imagine how events will play out.

So. What's your best guess?

Thats a good analysis.

The Ds attempt to get the vote recounted in their favor failed dismally, and now the Ds attempt to frighten people and convince the electoral college to vote for HIllary instead of Trump because Russia hacked HIllary and the Ds isn't working either.

My best guess looking ahead is the Ds will continue to try to undermine Trump's legitimacy. I expect there will be demonstrations against Trump when he is inaugurated in DC much like those that occurred after the election, possibly including people chanting "not my president" and then going off to smash windows and harass Trump supporters on the streets of DC.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 19:29:44

Maybe we will be lucky and the polar vortex will be in full swing and encourage folks to chill out.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 20:18:10

"...best guess looking ahead is the Ds will continue to try to undermine Trump's legitimacy.". Why not: some R's tried that for years with President Obama. As Dr. Phil would ask: How'd that work for you? LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 21:53:29

You can see how they are going to attack his presidency. Every person that checks in to a Trump hotel will be a foreign government operative and his hotel bill will be an unconstitutional violation of the emoluments clause.
Trump needs to find a way to make America aware of this partisan sniping and reveal how unpatriotic the participants are.
As hard as it will be to move the country in a positive direction it might well be impossible if his time is taken up with dealing with these daily cheap shots.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 22:48:26

Trump most vicious critics and those who will back-stab him will be Republicans. Lindsay Graham, John McCain, and Mitch McConnell can't wait to stick the knife into Trump.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 23:46:37

Cog wrote:Trump most vicious critics and those who will back-stab him will be Republicans. Lindsay Graham, John McCain, and Mitch McConnell can't wait to stick the knife into Trump.

That is a very real concern and I don't have a clue as to how that will play out. The old guard Republicans will have to weigh the cost of some Trump programs against the turmoil that would result if they tried to remove him from office.
His best bet is to do a good job of it from day one. IF HE CAN!!!
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 06:17:55

Trump does have an advantage though and he is not afraid to use it. About half of Trump's supporters are rather fanatical about it. If Trump sees he is being interfered with by the party he will turn those 30 million loose on those doing it. Make their lives miserable so to speak with the letters, phone calls, visits, protests, and just pure harassment.

The political class has always underestimated Trump and still do. That is a fatal mistake with a trained negotiator and manipulator of people that Trump is.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MD » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 07:52:11

Once Monday has passed into history, assuming the electoral college doesn't crumble into revolt, which is the current hope of the radical left (if they get what they want, will they really be happy with the result? I think in hindsight, there will be regrets), where are their best points of attack?
Supreme court interference? Are there any avenues of hope there?
National crisis? What could transpire that could allow Obama to delay transfer of power without tipping the country into chaos?

Nothing that I can see.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 08:23:55

Obama can not delay the transfer of power. His term of office ends on January 20th period. Even if martial law were invoked, his term of office would end. The Congress has the final say on approving the electoral college vote. Theoretically they could pick someone else other than Trump and invalidate the electoral college. No Republican would dare to do that because the firestorm that would result would be epic. Trump is going to be inaugurated. If he is not, there will be civil war.

There will be considerable resistance to Trump's cabinet appointees since they run completely opposite to the left agenda. They hope to cripple Trump's presidency by denying him the people he needs to implement his plans. There will be considerable drama in the Senate hearings particularly with regards to the Secretary of State and EPA. The leftists don't want their gains, with regard to climate change, overturned. Some of the RINO's may play along with them. They hate Trump as much as the Dems.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 08:48:40

By appointing Mitch McConnells wife to his cabinet President elect Trump has at least for the near term defused that antagonist. As for McCain and Graham, they are democrats pretending to be Republicans, anyone who trusts them to be loyal to any Republican President or the Republican Party is only fooling themselves.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 17:06:38

I think he also defanged Romney by dangling the Sec of State and then rejecting him.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 20:02:33

Cog - "...he will turn those 30 million loose on those doing it." Putting my orange topee on and pretending I'm the POTUS: Notice to every congress critter up for election in 2 years: oppose me on any issue and I'll put my full support behind any R opponent you'll be up against. And to the R party leadership: you let any other Congress critter screw with my plans I'll do what ever I can to inflect mortal damage on YOUR PARTY. Yes, your party: don't forget...I'm not a f*cking Republican. LOL.

But that's just me...and I don't care much for either political party.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 21:42:14

Newfie wrote:I think he also defanged Romney by dangling the Sec of State and then rejecting him.

Yes a clever and vicious move. Good to see that the leader of the free world knows how to play hardball on more then one level.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MD » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 10:03:35

Fake news is the theme of the day. I'm amazed at how bad it's become. Again, the nut jobs from all corners that are buying into the rhetoric need to calm down and stop trying to upset the apple cart.

stupidity abounds!

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 10:39:10

Speaking of idiots, Obama is going to have a press conference at 2:15 pm Eastern today. This could be the normal pre-Hawaii vacation news conference he does every year or perhaps something with a bit more drama. Hopefully he won't spout off about Russia and the CIA affecting the election again.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 10:43:31

MD wrote:Fake news is the theme of the day. I'm amazed at how bad it's become. Again, the nut jobs from all corners that are buying into the rhetoric need to calm down and stop trying to upset the apple cart.

stupidity abounds!

Some years ago I pretty much all the news is, if not fake, pretty meaningless, and pretty stupid. No analysis, a lot of prepackaged stories released by some interest group.

I got tired of yelling at the radio and turned it off.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 11:01:36

Newfie wrote:
MD wrote:Fake news is the theme of the day. I'm amazed at how bad it's become. Again, the nut jobs from all corners that are buying into the rhetoric need to calm down and stop trying to upset the apple cart.

stupidity abounds!

Some years ago I pretty much all the news is, if not fake, pretty meaningless, and pretty stupid. No analysis, a lot of prepackaged stories released by some interest group.

I got tired of yelling at the radio and turned it off.

I still watch the news from both sides but have had to learn not to yell at the TV with the misses present. She can't seem to realize that that verbalizing your frustrations is therapeutic. :roll:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 12:10:20

vt - And once again we are faced with the misuse of terminology. What is "fake news"? Untrue info put out by any and all news agencies? CNN, NBC, FOX? From what I've read: no, it's Internet messages from any source that are not true. So claims that Facebook et al will edit out any emails that aren't true? WOW! No more lying on the Internet...that certain should reduce the demand for server space. LMFAO.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 13:24:18

ROCKMAN wrote:vt - And once again we are faced with the misuse of terminology. What is "fake news"? Untrue info put out by any and all news agencies? CNN, NBC, FOX? From what I've read: no, it's Internet messages from any source that are not true. So claims that Facebook et al will edit out any emails that aren't true? WOW! No more lying on the Internet...that certain should reduce the demand for server space. LMFAO.

Fake is fake and lies are lies no matter where presented. And harping on a story that has no merit while failing to cover other pertinent news is also unethical even if no complete falsehoods are presented.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to North America Discussion