Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Interns get schooled, Old school fashion

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Interns get schooled, Old school fashion

Unread postby Cog » Fri 01 Jul 2016, 00:08:06

Some interns got together and signed a petition to force the relaxation of the company dress code. These special snowflakes got a real education when they were told to pack their stuff and get out. I wish I could have been in on the firing of these millennials and seen the expression on their face when they got schooled. They wanted experience in the real world and they got it in full measure. :lol:

I suppose in college they are too busy teaching things like fairness, safe places, and diversity instead of how business works.

Story link:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/06/30/inter ... etition-is

An excerpt of derp of the one who led the petition signing and got a bunch of them fired.

"The proposal was written professionally like examples I have learned about in school, and our arguments were thought out and well-reasoned. We weren't even given a chance to discuss it.

I have never had a job before (I've always focused on school) and I was hoping to gain some experience before I graduate next year. I feel my dismissal was unfair and would like to ask them to reconsider but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

Here is some free advice. Follow the company rules, do your job, or get OUT.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Interns get schooled, Old school fashion

Unread postby Satori » Fri 01 Jul 2016, 09:35:56

who would want to work for such a crappy company anyway?

a company I am familiar with had a bad reputation about not listening to employee concerns
their attitude was "the company is always right so shut the hell up"

guess what

people left like crazy
profits down
customer satisfaction DOWN
and the company spent a massive amount of money training new employees ,who eventually left themselves
it cost right around $50-60K to train a new employee and get them up to speed
one department had virtually their entire night shift crew leave,guess how that worked out for the company

the idiots in the executive office cost the company MILLIONS
eventually they learned they needed to treat their employees with some respect

here is some more free advice
treat your employees with some respect
Satori
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Satori » Fri 01 Jul 2016, 09:40:24

I forgot to mention
there are still two departments in this company which can't keep staff
things are so bad that they are now HAVING to pay time and a half as well as $300 extra per shift just to try and keep these areas open

thats what you get when you treat people like dirt
Satori
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GHung » Fri 01 Jul 2016, 09:53:10

Yeah, Satori, these things can work both ways. The last big software engineering firm I worked for announced on a Friday that shorts and flip-flops would no longer be tolerated, effective immediately. On Monday, about 70 programmers/coders came to work dressed as clowns and punk rockers (but no shorts or flip-flops).

A few months later the company announced that, due to a change in insurance companies, everyone would be drug tested beginning the next week. The next Monday, virtually all of the programmers called in sick, and the few who showed up came in wearing shorts and flip-flops, generally new hires.

The company got its mind right after that. All of these programmers were likely making well into the 6 figures, and were bombarded by job offers from competitors.

I was one of the IT guys, and nobody messed with us much. Besides, I don't go to work in flip-flops. Just a personal thing.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 01 Jul 2016, 10:06:59

Someone with no punctuation whining about being unhired for a role probably requiring English appearing to have been written by an adult. There you go, a long sentence not requiring.punctuation, but for the perfunctory S & . Ok, you learned something, next, read a book.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Cog » Fri 01 Jul 2016, 11:24:25

Interns apparently haven't learned that they are lower on the pecking order than the janitor and the copy machine repairman. I've chased off one or two myself over my career.

Being an intern can be a valuable learning experience if you can learn to shut up, listen, and learn. If I want your opinion, which is a dubious proposition, I will beat it out of you.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Satori » Sat 02 Jul 2016, 08:24:07

LOL !!!

I just found out that the manager for one of those units with SERIOUS staffing problems
has "left the building",we don't know if she left of her own accord or was "encouraged " to leave
anyway
her departure was quite sudden,she gave no notice
she was quite the authoritarian bitch
one of these lay down the law types,my way or the highway
good riddance

and meanwhile her draconian management style will cost the company $$$$$$$$$ for quite some time
repairing the damage won't be easy or cheap
ha ha ha
I would love to see the profit statement for that department,I'm thinking it's gonna be printed with a lot of red ink
Satori
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:11:32

Good management is always a balancing act, getting the most out of the staff with the least headaches and least cost. Some personality types are totally unsuited for it, if you are too easy going the staff under preform their potential, if you are too authoritarian the staff seek alternative employment.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:25:34

Your skills are only worth what they make for a company, not what you think they are worth or what you need to live. I don't hire you because you are awesome. I hire because you are making money for the company. If you are awesome, that's just a bonus. If the cost of your salary plus overhead is more than what the company makes off you, than the company does better without you. That is the bottom line.

Now after you are here with me for a while, I might come to like you. You might get some additional compensation. But in the end, you work for the corporation, you work for me. Don't like it, QUIT.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Return to North America Discussion