Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Senate investigates Cruz for classified info leak in debate

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Senate investigates Cruz for classified info leak in debate

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 16 Dec 2015, 15:11:16

Ted Cruz Is Under Investigation For Possibly Leaking Classified Information During Debate

Sen. Ted Cruz is under investigation after he potentially revealed classified information during the CNN Republican presidential debate.

Ted Cruz is under investigation for this exchange with Marco Rubio during CNN’s Republican presidential debate:

CRUZ: Well, you know, I would note that Marco knows what he’s saying isn’t true. You know, Mark Levin wrote a column last week that says that the attack ads his Super PAC is running that are saying the same thing, that they are knowingly false, and they are, in fact, Alinsky-like attacks like Barack Obama.

And the reason is simple. What he knows is that the old program covered 20 percent to 30 percent of phone numbers to search for terrorists. The new program covers nearly 100 percent. That gives us greater ability to stop acts of terrorism, and he knows that that’s the case.

RUBIO: Dana, may I interject here?

BASH: Senator — Senator — Senator Rubio, please respond.

RUBIO: Let me be very careful when answering this because I don’t think national television in front of 15 million people is the place to discuss classified information.

The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) said, “I’m having my staff look at the transcripts of the debate right now. Any time you deal with numbers… the question is ‘is that classified or not’ or is there an open source reference to it.”

Ted Cruz gave a specific number, and it is possible that the information Cruz blurted out on national television was classified information.

If Cruz leaked classified information on national television, he might have committed a federal crime. The fallout from Cruz’s remarks could be even worse for him because his Senate colleagues are not likely to cut the unpopular Texan any slack.
http://www.politicususa.com/2015/12/16/ted-cruz-investigation-possibly-leaking-classified-information-debate.html
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Senate investigates Cruz for classified info leak in deb

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 16 Dec 2015, 15:26:34

Sixstrings wrote:
Ted Cruz Is Under Investigation For Possibly Leaking Classified Information During Debate

Sen. Ted Cruz is under investigation after he potentially revealed classified information during the CNN Republican presidential debate.

Ted Cruz is under investigation for this exchange with Marco Rubio during CNN’s Republican presidential debate:

CRUZ: Well, you know, I would note that Marco knows what he’s saying isn’t true. You know, Mark Levin wrote a column last week that says that the attack ads his Super PAC is running that are saying the same thing, that they are knowingly false, and they are, in fact, Alinsky-like attacks like Barack Obama.

And the reason is simple. What he knows is that the old program covered 20 percent to 30 percent of phone numbers to search for terrorists. The new program covers nearly 100 percent. That gives us greater ability to stop acts of terrorism, and he knows that that’s the case.

So let me see if I have this right. It's fine for HRC to have her own unapproved email server as Secretary of State, improperly handling many top secret documents. (Though there has been an ongoing investigation, there's nary a whiff of any actual consequences).

However, if Ted Cruz uses a number like "nearly 100" in a debate, discussing an issue well known by every voter with a room temperature IQ and up, that's "leaked classified information".

If Ted Cruz is prosecuted for this and HRC continues to get a pass, what does that say about ANY sense of reasonableness in the DOJ? If this happens, the "different" kind of administration Obama is running just took a much darker turn.

(And I'm no fan of Ted Cruz. It's the principle of the thing).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 16 Dec 2015, 15:27:00

pstarr wrote:What was that again?

Six, a little more thoughtfulness and less text may make for a brighter post, with impact and sazzinesss to boot!

I bold the pertinent parts of an article. It's only 4 sentences. :razz:

Okay so you want a snazzy Sixstrings analsysis of it, ok..

Long story short: Ted Cruz gave *exact numbers* and percentages about something that is classified. Which could be a federal crime, when he did that.

That's why in the debate, Rubio looked surprised and said "well we shouldn't be talking about classified info."
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 16 Dec 2015, 15:31:54

The only reason Trump hasn't leaked any classified info is that he doesn't have access to any of it. :-D
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 16 Dec 2015, 15:32:29

Outcast_Searcher wrote:If Ted Cruz is prosecuted for this and HRC continues to get a pass, what does that say about ANY sense of reasonableness in the DOJ? If this happens, the "different" kind of administration Obama is running just took a much darker turn.

(And I'm no fan of Ted Cruz. It's the principle of the thing).

Before jumping to conclusions that the Obama justice dept would prosecute him..

As of now it's just the senate intel committee chairman that is having his staff look over the transcripts. That's a REPUBLICAN senator.

We'll see what happens with this thing.. *if the establishment wants to get Cruz out of the race like real fast, this could be one way to do it.*

Did Ted Cruz Reveal Classified Information at the GOP Debate?

Rebecca Glover Watkins, who acts as the Communications Director for Chairman Burr, tweeted this just after the exchange:

Becca Glover Watkins @beccaglover
Cruz shouldn't have said that.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/did-ted-cruz-reveal-classified-information-gop-debate-n481076

The senate intel committee chair says he didn't see the exchange on tv, because he didn't watch the debate, he was watching some tv show called "the voice:"

"I didn't watch it. 'The Voice' was on," he said, adding "It was the final episode."

The committee chair says it would be a more serious matter if Cruz were on the intel committee. He says to his knowledge Cruz and other senators weren't briefed on this information:
Burr said he'd be "a lot more worried" if Cruz were actually a member of the Intelligence Committee, which Rubio is. He said as far as he knows the subject matter has not been briefed to lawmakers outside the committee.

A Cruz campaign spokeswoman did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment on the matter.

It's probably no big deal and won't go anywhere, after all it could just be an accident and Cruz just slipped up in the heat of debate. Or, if they can find some public journalistic source for what Cruz said, then that's not leaking classified info.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Wed 16 Dec 2015, 16:06:31, edited 5 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 16 Dec 2015, 15:58:38

IMHO, Eric Snowden is a hero for revealing the secret spy domestic spy program being carried out by Obama and the NSA.

Now Ted Cruz has revealed yet more secret info about the Obama administration's secret domestic spying.

I say, Hooray for Eric Snowden and Hooray for Ted Cruz for having the courage to shine some light on these secret domestic spy operations. If Obama lied to the American people when he said he would cut back the NSA spying program, and if in actuality the Obama administration has expanded their domestic spying to the point that they are now spying on almost 100% of all the phone calls made in the US---then thats something Americans have a right to know.

Big Brother is watching you----and he's listening in on all your phone calls too!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Return to North America Discussion