Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE NASA Thread pt. 2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

THE NASA Thread pt. 2

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 19:01:31

Livewire713 wrote:NASA figured out how to get to the moon and back in less then 10 years.

NASA has done more advanced things in recent years - the Cassini mission for one.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

NASA Scientist Claims Evidence of Alien Life on Meteorite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 05 Mar 2011, 15:55:40

A photograph taken through a scanning electron microscope of a CI1 meteorite is similar in size and overall structure to the giant bacterium Titanospirillum velox, an organism found here on planet Earth, a NASA scientist said.

We are not alone in the universe -- and alien life forms may have a lot more in common with life on Earth than we had previously thought.
That's the stunning conclusion one NASA scientist has come to, releasing his groundbreaking revelations in a new study in the March edition of the Journal of Cosmology.

Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist with NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, has traveled to remote areas in Antarctica, Siberia, and Alaska, amongst others, for over ten years now, collecting and studying meteorites. He gave FoxNews.com early access to the out-of-this-world research, published late Friday evening in the March edition of the Journal of Cosmology. In it, Hoover describes the latest findings in his study of an extremely rare class of meteorites, called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites -- only nine such meteorites are known to exist on Earth.

Though it may be hard to swallow, Hoover is convinced that his findings reveal fossil evidence of bacterial life within such meteorites, the remains of living organisms from their parent bodies -- comets, moons and other astral bodies. By extension, the findings suggest we are not alone in the universe, he said.

“I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet earth,” Hoover told FoxNews.com.
“This field of study has just barely been touched -- because quite frankly, a great many scientist would say that this is impossible.”

(snip)

“The exciting thing is that they are in many cases recognizable and can be associated very closely with the generic species here on earth,” Hoover told FoxNews.com. But not all of them. “There are some that are just very strange and don’t look like anything that I’ve been able to identify, and I’ve shown them to many other experts that have also come up stumped.”

Other scientists tell FoxNews.com the implications of this research are shocking, describing the findings variously as profound, very important and extraordinary. But Dr. David Marais, an astrobiologist with NASA’s AMES Research Center, says he’s very cautious about jumping onto the bandwagon.

(snip)

Dr. Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute, said there is a lot of hesitancy to believe such proclamations. If true, the implications would be far-reaching throughout the fields of science and astronomy, the suggestions and possibilities stunning.

“Maybe life was seeded on earth -- it developed on comets for example, and just landed here when these things were hitting the very early Earth,” Shostak speculated. “It would suggest, well, life didn’t really begin on the Earth, it began as the solar system was forming.”
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/

Interesting.. so where did life begin? If not on Earth, where?
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 18:39:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged thread.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

NASA Data Strengthens Reports of Toxic Rain on Gulf Coast

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 22:06:13

Along the Gulf Coast, the marketing blitz for spring break is rolling out as the oil from the BP blowout 11 months ago continues to roll in along with increasing numbers of dead infant dolphins, in numbers completely without precedent. The beaches remain polluted with toxic oil and dispersant even as local politicians and government officials insist everything is fine and the oil miraculously gone. Thousands of pounds are collected each day from the few areas that remain under scrutiny, all of those being in highly visible resort areas. In one zone on Ft. Morgan beach in Alabama, a record 17,000 lbs was collected in one day after a winter storm rolled through. Along the beaches of Alabama in areas not frequented by media or guests, dead infant dolphins are left uncollected in the sand. Current plans by mayors of resort communities along the Gulf Coast will have thousands of vacationers, including at-risk populations, once again making sandcastles and sunbathing on toxic, polluted beaches.

BP continues to shut down the few cleanup efforts still underway with the approval of the federal government. At the Gulf Coast Ecosystem Restoration Task Force meeting in New Orleans recently, scientists, NGO's, and concerned citizens demanded to know how the ecosystem could be restored when the basic cleanup of the oil has been made impossible by any known technology after the dispersant sank it to the ocean floor. Health concerns remained at the forefront of dialogue as a new report by the Louisiana Bucket Brigade finds that nearly 50 percent of the population along the Gulf Coast is experiencing sickness indicative of chemical poisoning related to the BP oil spill.

Government data collected during the oil spill last summer, which is now being released by one of the scientists on the NASA team, strengthens claims that oil and dispersant was brought onshore in rain during the spill. The Chief Mission Coordinating Scientist on the NASA remote sensing mission to the BP oil spill in the Gulf Of Mexico was Ira Leifer, Ph.D from University of California Santa Barbara. Dr. Leifer has been working with natural oil spills and natural methane bubble flows for the last decade. He is in the process of releasing some of the government data collected during the spill; the vast majority of this data has been suppressed and is not available to scientists, the media, or the general public. The data was collected on boats at the sea surface, in airplanes over the Gulf, and by satellite.

The data being released, which was collected by the NASA missions to the Gulf, shows that the toxic compounds released from the BP spill became airborne, and significant quantities were brought onshore by precipitation, thereby exposing coastal populations to chemical poisoning. This represents something new and unique not observed in previous oil spills. It helps explain why there were numerous reports by people living along the Gulf Coast that it was raining oil and dispersant during the summer months.

link
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 18:32:30, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: NASA Data Strengthens Reports of Toxic Rain on Gulf Coas

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 23:16:01

Obama and his EPA gave BP exemptions from environmental laws so they could flood the GOM with carcinogenic dispersants.

The Obama administration authorized the creation of the largest toxic chemical dump on earth. 8)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby scas » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 00:19:44

Plantagenet wrote:Obama and his EPA gave BP exemptions from environmental laws so they could flood the GOM with carcinogenic dispersants.

The Obama administration authorized the creation of the largest toxic chemical dump on earth. 8)

You're right, this wouldn't have happened if Bush were president.
scas
Coal
Coal

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 01:45:40

scas wrote:You're right, this wouldn't have happened if Bush were president.

Aren't you thinking about VP Palin? BTW, on the way in this morning I was listening to NPR (you know, the left-wing media outlet soon to be put out to pasture by the republicans through defunding) and they were explaining how Drill Baby Drill 2.0 rhetoric is already here.

How can anyone hang around here and be such a one-sided right-wing partisan without coming across as either a raging hypocrite or a selfish loser?
mos6507

NASA: Climate Time Machine

Unread postby M_B_S » Tue 10 May 2011, 06:34:23

Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 18:38:11, edited 1 time in total.
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

NASA Said Don't Worry

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 15 Jul 2011, 15:49:54

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... 06oct97_1/

An ex-nasa climatologist talks about accurate methods of earth temperature measurement.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:37:50, edited 2 times in total.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Re: NASA Said Don't Worry

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 15 Jul 2011, 17:08:34

1997, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. :?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 15 Jul 2011, 17:21:00

yep, nasa forced spencer out, noaa still insists on collecting temp data at airports, and satellite
data is still seen by dr roy spencer, as the most accurate way to tabulate global temperature.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 15 Jul 2011, 19:11:36

dolanbaker wrote:1997, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. :?

What I can't understand is why the Bush Administration didn't kick out all those junk scientists from NASA and other gubmint agengies and install real God-fearing Republican scientists.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Fri 15 Jul 2011, 19:26:58

You do realize there was a huge error found in that dataset in the mid 2000s

I know as a denier you will not care about accuracy but do try to keep your errors to those corrected within the last decade just to pretend you have some interest in accuracy.

Limited ambition I know but aim for it.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 15 Jul 2011, 19:34:44

Keith_McClary wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:1997, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. :?

What I can't understand is why the Bush Administration didn't kick out all those junk scientists from NASA and other gubmint agengies and install real God-fearing Republican scientists.

yeah, but i'm sure george knew there wouldn't be any sport in that. so much more fun watching
them pee on everybody's leg and call it rain.

excuse me, did you see where i put my hockeystick?
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 15 Jul 2011, 19:40:20

peeker01 wrote:excuse me, did you see where i put my hockeystick?
I can't answer that in polite company.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 15 Jul 2011, 22:24:56

Keith_McClary wrote:
peeker01 wrote:excuse me, did you see where i put my hockeystick?
I can't answer that in polite company.

:lol: :lol: [smilie=icon_lol.gif] [smilie=icon_lol.gif] Like Pops said, a minimalist troll.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

NASA Temperature Graphs

Unread postby peeker01 » Sat 23 Jul 2011, 13:32:54

10 NASA graphs of global temperature trends.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 17:38:04, edited 1 time in total.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Re: NASA Temperature Graphs

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 23 Jul 2011, 18:51:49

These are all well known graphs around here. Your point?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: NASA Temperature Graphs

Unread postby peeker01 » Sat 23 Jul 2011, 19:17:16

thanks for the bump doobie!
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to North America Discussion