Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Its too bad the rest of the world is jealous of America

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Its too bad the rest of the world is jealous of America

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 11:39:44

I think thats really what it is. The rest of the world is jealous of Americas might and power, and the only way they can express themselves is with anger and hatred at our obvious success.
Understandable of course, given we have the most powerful military, a world spanning economy, the de facto monetary standard in the world, free people, and a boatload of other benefits.

Yep, pretty understandable why the world hates America. Their simply jealous of our success, and cant hink of no other way to express themselves except with hate and anger.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Taskforce_Unity » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 11:53:28

I hate f*cking america man, so jealous of em. Wish i was a proud american militia dude....
Taskforce_Unity
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 11:54:48

Taskforce_Unity wrote:I hate f*cking america man, so jealous of em. Wish i was a proud american militia dude....

Dont be mad, I can ship you some Mountain Dew if you like. :-D
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Taskforce_Unity » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 11:58:49

F*ck you american style man, i don't drink that crappy shit. Just give me the more toxic and chemical 3rd world version called Fernandez. That stuff is far more chemical!
Taskforce_Unity
Coal
Coal

Unread postby KiddieKorral » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 11:59:51

Right. And the fact that we've propped up dictatorships around the world has nothing to do with it. :roll:
American by birth, Muslim by choice, Southern by the grace of God!
KiddieKorral
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby crude_intentions » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:00:03

They Hate us for our Freedom! :roll:
crude_intentions
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:09:25

KiddieKorral wrote:Right. And the fact that we've propped up dictatorships around the world has nothing to do with it. :roll:

Hey, Kiddie, don't leave out the democracies we've also propped up, such as most of Europe after WW II. Don't lose perspective.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peaknik » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:10:57

You see, there's nothing absolutely personal in hating America.

It's the Roman Empire of today, so get used to it! :(
peaknik
Wood
Wood

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:15:16

peaknik wrote:It's the Roman Empire of today, so get used to it! :(

You're probably correct and we are still in our Republic stage, which, if we follow the model, leaves us at least 500 years of full Imperial rule followed by another 1000 years of more restricted control over a smaller territory.

Ave Caesar! :-D
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby tavewa » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:15:57

DomusAlbion wrote:Hey, Kiddie, don't leave out the democracies we've also propped up, such as most of Europe after WW II. Don't lose perspective.

How ignorant can you be? Next you're going to tell us that in fact america invented democracy....
tavewa
Wood
Wood

Unread postby linlithgowoil » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:22:16

i dont hate america or americans. americans are just people like the rest of us. unfortunately, you've all been spolied by an enormous bounty of riches and natural resources, and when you used them up, you came looking for them round the world instead of tightening your belts, just to keep the party going.

i think this is the main reason why people get annoyed at america. americans see no problem with the fact that they are 5% of world population who use 25% of world resources. anyone that can see nothing wrong with that actually has something wrong with them.

the problem america has is that the middle east, who hold the key to america's future economy, doesn't like it very much. therefore it spends tons of cash on WMD to make sure no-one disobeys it, though this can only go on so long.

its a tragedy really, america could have been the best place on earth and a model for the world to live by, but, people being as they are, its just as corrupt as anywhere else.

the problem isnt americans, its people and the way they organise their affairs.
linlithgowoil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:22:32

tavewa wrote:
DomusAlbion wrote:Hey, Kiddie, don't leave out the democracies we've also propped up, such as most of Europe after WW II. Don't lose perspective.

How ignorant can you be? Next you're going to tell us that in fact america invented democracy....

No, I would never say that.

I suggest you review your own history of post war Europe. Are you saying that the United States did not help Western Europe survive the difficult post war period and also protect it from Soviet dreams of expanding its influence into Western Europe?

If you do then I suggest that you might be the ignorant one.
-- Albert Bartlett

-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:27:00

linlithgowoil wrote:i dont hate america or americans. americans are just people like the rest of us. ...

the problem isnt americans, its people and the way they organise their affairs.

I can endorse your statement entirely. Before America it was Britain and the other European Colonial powers. This is all part of the human equation, some of it quite beautiful, some dark and savage.
-- Albert Bartlett

-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GD » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:33:51

As the rest of the world moves from a petro-dollar peg to the EURO.
can you conclude:

A) They all hate America and are jealous of Americans and must all be ganging up to deliberately hurt America financially.

B) They are taking steps to protect themselves from the coming train wreck of the American economic implosion.

C) They're jealous of your planes, tanks, subs and nukes!

Come on! :roll:
GD
Peat
Peat

Unread postby tavewa » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:39:34

DomusAlbion wrote:
Are you saying that the United States did not help Western Europe survive the difficult post war period and also protect it from Soviet dreams of expanding its influence into Western Europe?

Yes America did support Europe during and after WW2, and why? Not because you are a couple of nice guys, but out of the same reasons you supported the dictatorships in other countries. Empire building, Geopolitics, Self-interest,...
tavewa
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Kingcoal » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:47:49

I guess the hatred of the USA comes from a feeling of powerlessness in the face of the US. The USA decides who should have WMDs and who shouldn't. The US exacts a tax on oil via the need of other nations to use petrodollars. Our current world was largely shaped by WW2, an event that ended 50 years ago. The other world shaping thing was the Standard Oil company, who put the patchwork in place for dollar hedgemony.

I get the feeling that many Europeans want to take the place of the US via the EU and it's Euro currency. I see a lot of EU nationalism expressed on this board. I think it's good for people to be proud of their country, so it doesn't bother me. However, being anti american won't get you anywhere. Being anti anything is a loosing strategy. You have to be for things and have a positive attitude. That is infectious. You have to sell people your dream. I think that America can do a better job on selling it's dreams to the world. On the other hand, I don't see any dream out of the America haters and that is their downfall.
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 12:57:27

tavewa wrote:
DomusAlbion wrote:
Are you saying that the United States did not help Western Europe survive the difficult post war period and also protect it from Soviet dreams of expanding its influence into Western Europe?

Yes America did support Europe during and after WW2, and why? Not because you are a couple of nice guys, but out of the same reasons you supported the dictatorships in other countries. Empire building, Geopolitics, Self-interest,...

So, does doing a good deed become a crime because of motivation? :?

There is a mix of compassion and self interest in every human act. Understand that most Americans, especially at that time, were just Europeans living in a different country. My paternal grandfather and grandmother grew up in Vienna, not far from where you are in Switzerland. One of my uncles was with the OSS and then the CIA because he spoke 4 European languages. He lived in Germany and dedicated his entire life to help protect Europe from the Soviets. Did he do it just because he was greedy or wanted to establish American hegemony? He could have made a lot more back in the US. No, he loved Europe and didn't want it in a Soviet prison.

I think I can easily put you into the "I hate America" category. :P
-- Albert Bartlett

-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 13:06:33

tavewa, I just couldn't resist this dig at your homeland's expense, though I think it's a lovely place:

"You know what the man said…in Italy for thirty years, the Borgias …they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed, but they produced Michealangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci and the Renaissance.

In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy. And what did they produce?

The Cuckoo Clock!" :P

From "The Third Man" by Graham Greene.
-- Albert Bartlett

-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Colorado-Valley » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 13:19:04

The U.S. is a debt-ridden oil junkie waving guns at everybody and threatening to invade countries unilaterally and torture and kill their residents in a bid to steal petroleum.

This is a country that's lost its mind. The world would do well to put it out of its misery and hope that a democratic republic emerges from the rubble.
Colorado-Valley
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby trespam » Wed 16 Mar 2005, 13:22:01

I hate feeding pointless posts by trolls. But I will anyway: More pointless nationalistic unamerican unpatriotic blather from specops.
trespam
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to North America Discussion