Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cape Spin: An American Power Struggle

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Cape Spin: An American Power Struggle

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 18 Apr 2018, 19:51:34

I don't know how I overlooked this documentary until now, but it's six years old.
As many of you know from my prior messages, Cape Wind was to be the USA's first offshore wind farm. It would have been 130 Siemens wind turbines, each of 3.6 Megawatts, totalling 468 Megawatts maximum output. Because of the ideal location in the Gulf Stream and the shallow waters of the Horseshoe Shoal off Cape Cod, with the near constant prevailing winds the average output would have exceeded 350 Megawatts. Barack Obama made Cape Wind the centerpiece of his 2007 presidential campaign, calling the project "shovel ready" and pledging to "fast track" the approvals.
The documentary is available for streaming on Amazon Prime, which is how I saw it. I have attempted to explain some of the politics before, this documentary does an exemplary job, and I learned additional details I didn't before know.
I will make one addendum. When this documentary was released in 2012, they thought that they had won, and that Cape Wind would shortly begin construction at last. Now in 2018, construction has not begun and the project is almost certainly dead. The Cape Wind project web page was dead last time I tried to access it, and had not been updated for two years prior to that.
Simulated Image of the appearance of the Cape Wind turbines from a Cape Cod beach

Meanwhile, if it ever gets built, Cape Wind can no longer claim the honor of being first. In 2016 the Block Island Wind Farm went online. It is a small project of five 6 Megawatt turbines 3.6 miles offshore from Block Island, RI. Close enough to Horseshoe Shoal to demonstrate that had Cape Wind been built, it could be reliably producing more than 15X the power they produce. There are more than 25 additional offshore wind farm projects in planning, and a half dozen on both coasts have approvals in place and are under construction.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Cape Spin: An American Power Struggle

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 05:35:13

The Kennedys and other liberal Ds are all for windpower.....unless it affects their views. Cheers
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 12:14:19

The east coast windfarms are a great story about the stupid control of Nimbyism over the US energy future. But stop those thoughts most of you are having: I’m not talking about resistance to offshore east coast windfarms. It’s about ONSHORE east coast windfarms. They would cost a small fraction of offshore projects and been built many years ago. There are many landowners who would be very glad to rent their land that has similar output potential as the offshore. But TPTB in the region would not allow it so the only option was to look offshore. Between unimpressive economics (compared to onshore installations) and local NIMBYism the big offshore windfarms have yet to be built.

Texas actually had the first offshore wind leases granted long ago: in our state waters south of Corpus Christi. State waters, unlike the rest of the country, that the feds had no control over. And long ago we also built the first offshore wind test facility just south of Galveston. The bottom line: the offshore windfarm economics failed compared to onshore windfarm economics. Not a great surprise. So one of the state’s largest windfarms was built onshore just down the road from Corpus Christi instead of on those leases just offshore. The only local concern was voiced over potential bird deaths. Give this is a state that kills millions of birds every year during hunting season (especially in south Texas adjacent to the windfarm) those concerns were overridden.

Bottom line: the east coast could have developed significant electricity generation from wind power long ago. It had the wind potential, economics and available land. What it lacked was the political will to ignore the NIMBYism. Obviously there are some folks in Texas that didn’t want to see the wind turbines go up. And some were the wealthy and politically connected. But collectively not powerful enough to go against the plans of out ERCOT. ERCOT, our 800 pound gorilla that controls the entire process of the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity in our state. Fortunately a state with its own independent electricity grid.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 13:33:17

Some wrong assumptions were made above.

First of all, the Georges Bank is 100-220 miles East of Nantucket in the Atlantic Ocean. The Horseshoe Shoal is between Nantucket and the Cape in Nantucket Sound. The Georges Bank is the spawning ground of about 2/3rds of the North Atlantic fish species, but the wind farm is hundreds of miles away and would not have impacted them. In fact in 2013 a sea floor power cable was laid between Nantucket and the Cape, and no discernable impacts were ever monitored even though the area disturbed was comparable to that from 130 wind turbines. The Georges Bank itself is in International waters and is heavily fished by both US and foriegn fishing boats including the Japanese who must travel from the Pacific to get there. The major endangered species in the area at this time are the top of the food chain, predator species such as Bluefin Tuna (95% gone) and swordfish (75% gone). Overfishing is the prime cause, no measurable impacts were ever noted from many offshore wind farms in Europe.

The NIMBYism is primarily from sport sailers, the yachting crowd. JFK loved the area, and his sailing yachts were painted the same dark blue as he painted the White House limosines. His younger brother Ted (more recently deceased and the subject of the current film Chappaquiddick) was more fond of his Father's vintage wooden hulled cigarette racer Rum Runner, the source of the Kennedy family wealth which was alcohol smuggling during Prohibition when their father was a member of the Irish Mob.

There is no unused real estate in the overcrowded East Coast. Nevertheless, the first offshore wind farm was constructed there offshore of Rhode Island, and with the prevalent power pricing is extremely profitable. The economic impacts of the two dozen odd NIMBY lawsuits are what killed Cape Wind, had it been constructed the legal costs alone would have made the power very expensive. In this sense where the legal costs exceed the construction costs, wind farms are akin to Nuclear energy. There are a few wind turbines on Nantucket island, because NIMBYism is alive and well, anybody trying to build one meets lots of resistance. The actual Horseshoe Shoal is in the red area of this chart:
The primary impact of Cape Wind would have been to decrease the death rates from respiratory disease, assuming that the FF power plants and their emissions could be throttled down after it was built, which is admittedly a large assumption. In spite of the beauty of the area itself, those FF power plants, which include both coal and oil fuels, are located in a crowded area and the air quality of the Cape and Islands is the poorest in the state.

Note also from the chart above that the inland/onshore wind resource is very poor when compared to offshore. This is not Texas and the economics of real estate and the terrain itself are very different. The offshore winds are created by the warm Gulf Stream currents.

Which is why I am looking to replace the 20+ year old oil burner that heats my Nantucket home with something more environmentally sound. The neighbors surrounding my place are the vacant lots to the N owned by me, the lot to the S owned by my Brother In Law, and a Horse Farm behind me. All the neighbors will have the opportunity to object to my plans. Solar energy has the same NIMBY problem in this area. The BIL has a plastic rowhouse style greenhouse and a half dozen direlict trucks parked on his lot, plus an old decaying boat. I never had any chance to object to those, they all existed when the wife inherited, and my FIL was the prior owner of those same trucks.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 14:29:50

pstarr wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:The Kennedys and other liberal Ds are all for windpower.....unless it affects their views. Cheers

Noting to do with views. It was always about the Georgia Banks and Nantucket Shoals fisheries, the greatest ever. It's where Moby Dick frolicked. :-D

New England loves its traditions.

Cheers! :)

Make what excuses you want pstarr. When liberal NUMBY's stop green energy projects and then the liberals sneeringly call themselves the "party of green" and condemn the entire GOP as oil lovers, yadda, yadda to try to garner votes, I still basically hold both sides of the aisle responsible for not doing much OF SUBSTANCE about cleaner energy.

Whether it's proposition 732 in Washington State in the Nov. 2016 elections, with liberals voting against even a small CO2 tax, or liberals suddenly not being for clean energy if it might be economically inconvenient to the "poor" or middle class, overall, neither side is helping, and neither side deserves my vote on the AGW issue.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 15:25:19

Make whatever excuses you want for the R's and the D's. When 12,000 people die per year from air pollution caused by power plants, and there are available renewable and greener alternatives such as wind, solar, and tidal flows in the same area, it is a human tragedy.

Approximately 10% of the US total or 1200 people annually die in this overcrowded East Coast area from air pollution. You have to make a few assumptions to come up with a number, and they are debateable points. Firstly, the 1200 is an approximation of the share of air pollution from FF power plants, which are second only to vehicle emissions as a cause of air quality fatalities. Secondly, you have to assume that as pollution free power comes online, the FF emissions will be tapered off. That neglects the fact that power demand grows with population, and that the more likely result of adding Green power sources is that BOTH the new Green plants and the existing FF plants will be used.

Thus it is safe to say that 1200 or so deaths annually is the upper bound, we don't really have a solid grasp of how many lives these turbines could save by reducing air pollution or by lessening AGW. Some might argue that AGW dominates the fatalities and that the numbers should be greater. I don't know about that, but I'm sure that if coal and oil were replaced by non-polluting energy sources, we could save 1200 or so deaths and about twice that many who suffer from pollution but are only sickened and don't die.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews