Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Book,

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

The Book,

Unread postby Falconoffury » Thu 24 Jun 2004, 06:01:16

The book actually got me thinking about surviving in the wildlife. It's about a boy who survived a plane crash in northern Canada in one of those tiny planes that land on water. The pilot died of a heart attack during the flight, and they were the only two on the plane. The book goes on about how the boy used the hatchet to survive in the wilderness. He carved sticks to make a bow and arrows, he figured out how to strike his hatchet against flint stone in order to start a fire, and chopped down large branches to construct a wooden wall to protect against bear attacks. It's a great book in that it shows how a single, sharp metal tool can mean the difference between life and death. I recommend anyone interested in learning basic survival skills to read the book.

I was thinking about getting a nice survival knife like Rambo had in the movie, "First Blood". It's one of those ceramic or metal alloy survival knives that stay sharp for a lifetime. It would be very useful in a situation where we are forced to live off the land.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 07 Mar 2009, 20:25:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Book/Media Reviews.
"If humans don't control their numbers, nature will." -Pimentel
"There is not enough trash to go around for everyone," said Banrel, one of the participants in the cattle massacre.
"Bush, Bush, listen well: Two shoes on your head," the protesters chant
Falconoffury
Expert
Expert

Hatchet

Unread postby Kurobei » Thu 24 Jun 2004, 06:26:51

That was a good book, and it was pretty impressive what the main character could do. However, I heard about a book called Alas Babylon which describes a family surviving after a nuclear war.

It was seen as a survival guide, showing the things the family had to do to keep alive, might be a more relavent read. Especially if the majority of oil crash survivors aren't going to be living in far off, isolated wilderness.
Kurobei

Unread postby Chicagoan » Thu 24 Jun 2004, 17:51:16

Try to find your old Boyscout handbook. It has lots of good information.
Chicagoan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MadScientist » Thu 24 Jun 2004, 18:18:35

Chicagoan wrote:Try to find your old Boyscout handbook. It has lots of good information.

I recommend the original 1911 edition. Way more useful info. The modern version has been watered down extensively.
"The future power is manpower"
MadScientist
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Whitecrab » Fri 25 Jun 2004, 12:46:20

I have a reprint of the first ever US Boyscout book. That thing's hilarious. To become a top Boy Scout, one of the things you have to do is save a WHOLE DOLLAR in the bank. And real Boy Scouts try to stay cheerful in the face of adversity and help the elderly. And did you know Abraham Lincoln is the perfect model of what a good American boy should be? It's true!

I think there's also a very roundabout allusion to masturbation being sacreligious (it's actually hard to tell wtf that passage was about).
"Our forces are now closer to the center of Baghdad than most American commuters are to their downtown office."
--Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, April 2003
Whitecrab
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MadScientist » Fri 25 Jun 2004, 13:29:44

Whitecrab wrote:I have a reprint of the first ever US Boyscout book. That thing's hilarious. To become a top Boy Scout, one of the things you have to do is save a WHOLE DOLLAR in the bank. And real Boy Scouts try to stay cheerful in the face of adversity and help the elderly. And did you know Abraham Lincoln is the perfect model of what a good American boy should be? It's true!

I think there's also a very roundabout allusion to masturbation being sacreligious (it's actually hard to tell wtf that passage was about).

What's so hilarious about building savings, character, and integrity?

Are you just mocking these things because you lack them yourself?

Not to mention sexual discipline...which I dont really wanna go there.
"The future power is manpower"
MadScientist
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby The_Virginian » Sat 26 Jun 2004, 08:01:45

Falcon Furry,

I was thinking about getting a nice survival knife like Rambo had in the movie, "First Blood". It's one of those ceramic or metal alloy survival knives that stay sharp for a lifetime.

Who makes it? how much does it cost?

Most of those "survival knives" are POS. Ceramic is prone to breakage, if its the new non Fe metals fro knife blades (liquid metasl types), you can't use as a striker for flint, and they are WAY overpriced for the end product.

How does it attach to the handle, how does it stack up to a Cris Reeve survival knife? What blade material (a GOOD SS or a good carbon? It makes a diference!) Can it be sharpened in the field using a river stone?

What sharpener is best to carry for it?

IMHO, you can buy a full tang knife in Carbon, or a good stainless for 50-100 USD. (NOT 440A or 420 they are ususaly considered Junk!)

Then have money left over for: a Flint, Striker, Vasaline steeped cotton balls combo, a bic lighter, DMT duo fold diamond sharpener, better sheath if neccesary, matches/ striker in Film 35mm plastic canister, P-38 can opener, locking blade Swiss army knife, etc etc.

And you will still come out ahead. RESEARCH YOU BLADE PURCHASES! www.bladeforums.com
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Whitecrab » Sat 26 Jun 2004, 23:19:28

MadScientist wrote:
Whitecrab wrote:I have a reprint of the first ever US Boyscout book. That thing's hilarious. To become a top Boy Scout, one of the things you have to do is save a WHOLE DOLLAR in the bank. And real Boy Scouts try to stay cheerful in the face of adversity and help the elderly. And did you know Abraham Lincoln is the perfect model of what a good American boy should be? It's true!
What's so hilarious about building savings, character, and integrity? Are you just mocking these things because you lack them yourself? Not to mention sexual discipline...which I dont really wanna go there.

Nope, no hidden jealousy. I just find a camp-humour value in things like earnest ads for "new" wheat square bits and the backwards health advice. The same way you can like an old movie but mock the special effects. Nothing serious.
"Our forces are now closer to the center of Baghdad than most American commuters are to their downtown office."
--Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, April 2003
Whitecrab
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby gg3 » Tue 29 Jun 2004, 22:29:16

Generally, a lot of old texts on practical skills will be more useful than their newer counterparts that assume cheap energy (and the fruits thereof).

Though always check for updates of basic technical assumptions and chances in the state of knowledge. What you're looking for in the old texts is a way of thinking and some examples, that can be adapted to current knowledge.
gg3
Expert
Expert

Return to Book/Media Reviews