Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Documentary: "Battleground: 21 Days On The Empire's Edge"

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Documentary: "Battleground: 21 Days On The Empire's Edge"

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 18:08:50

Global Guerillas Network put this together. Watch it. See what the American soldiers think. See what Iraqi opinions they gathered were. Very impressive documentary: Battleground: 21 Days On The Empire's Edge
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Re: Battleground: 21 Days On The Empire's Edge

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 18:18:00

one impression: American soldiers regard Bush as a joke. The soldier's contempt for the politician. America admires it's soldiers. We know in our hearts that we're going to need these fighting men in the future.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 20:42:43

There is a profound feeling of disconnect. The American soldiers are not Romans. The Iraqis are puzzled because they don't feel that to be the case either. But old Palm date tree groves get mowed down. My feeling is that confusion rules. I know this, Americans are not bloodthirsty. Perhaps we are bewildered by the complexities of life in ancient lands, perhaps we shouldn't even be there in Iraq. Here's my peak oil saturated interpretation: We don't know what to do, the shit is about to hit the fan, and we just don't know what to do.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rogerhb » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 20:53:56

PenultimateManStanding wrote:There is a profound feeling of disconnect.

Certainly is, when you have a thread and the only three posts in it are yours.
PenultimateManStanding wrote:We don't know what to do.

(a) provide a link to whatever it is you are talking about
(b) cut your losses and get out
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 21:08:34

Well, you know how I feel about you. . . Actually I'm watching this this flick and I run across unexpected insights. Iraqis place great hope in us. Sure, Spengler is right, American soldiers need to be better educated, they need to know more about the world.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rogerhb » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 21:18:55

PenultimateManStanding wrote:American soldiers need to be better educated, they need to know more about the world.

They need to know where home is and go there.
Brian wrote:ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 21:29:02

rogerhb wrote:
PenultimateManStanding wrote:American soldiers need to be better educated, they need to know more about the world.

They need to know where home is and go there.
They will obey their orders, rog. Their orders are to combat islamic aggression. They will succeed. Pusillanimous pissants like you don't matter.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rogerhb » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 21:32:58

PenultimateManStanding wrote:Their orders are to combat islamic aggression.

Ah, so it's not "Find UBL", or "Liberate Iraq" or "Impose democracy", or "Secure the Oil", or "Defend Dien Ben Phu II"
PenultimateManStanding wrote:They will succeed.

Only by either changing the meaning of the word "succeed" or changing entirely what they are currently doing.
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Mon 04 Sep 2006, 21:44:24

rogerhb wrote:Ah, so it's not "Find UBL", or "Liberate Iraq" or "Impose democracy", or "Secure the Oil", or "Defend Dien Ben Phu II"
PenultimateManStanding wrote:They will succeed.
Only by either changing the meaning of the word "succeed" or changing entirely what they are currently doing.

well, we're just a couple of chaps in a chat room. I've got to get my clothes out of the drier. Hasta la vista , puto.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Doly » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 05:48:54

rogerhb wrote:Only by either changing the meaning of the word "succeed" or changing entirely what they are currently doing.

Chances are, they will change the meaning of the word "succeed". It's a lot easier.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 10:28:45

Raphael wrote:Roger nice work, I have never seen PMS do such a hasty exit, with no clever retort.

bullfeathers, I had chores to do.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Atlantean_Relic » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 11:08:32

Is there something in New Zealands water? or is being angsty emo cynics a national trait.
Was a long and dark December
When the banks became cathedrals
And the fog
Became God
Atlantean_Relic
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: North of Id, west of Oz, and infront of the damned rabbit

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 15:58:27

Raphael wrote:PMS what do you exactly teach?
You do know what they say ... those who can't...teach.
Hope it is not Political Science.
No, it's math. I was not decided on whether I should reply to such a cheap shot, Raph. But here I am, responding. I can understand why people would denigrate teaching. The levels of intellectual attainment have been falling like a rock for years. The average college graduate today would score misreably low in a 1955 SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). The SAT is for High School seniors. I don't know what has happened, but it isn't good. Is it the teachers' fault? In good times, a teacher's role is important. I remember reading a southern antebellum writer writing about how strong the North's commitment to education was. The South had a chivalrous code of honor, but the North was committed to education for all of its sons and daughters. Those old days are gone. Now we must be content with absurd poseurs everywhere you look.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Miki » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 16:19:44

PenultimateManStanding wrote:There is a profound feeling of disconnect.

And it took 3 years for most Americans to notice that. Brainwashing can do wonders...
I know this, Americans are not bloodthirsty.

When a whole nation doesn't care about the war crimes of its government, chances are they are bloodthirsty. When your country has 600 military bases all around the world, which are there to ensure everyone does what you want, chances are your nation is bloodthristy. When you spend 1/3 of your foreign aid buying weapons for a terrorist country, chances are you're bloodthirsty. When you give green light for a terrorist state to bomb residential areas in spite of the opposition of the whole world, chances are you're bloodthirsty, when you have 3 years killing people and destroying a country and you insist on staying in spite of the world's opposition, chances are you're bloodthirsty.

Americans love to stay blind. They think if they close their eyes long enough, the blood stains in their hands will evaporate, so that they can convince themselves again of how righteous they are.
We don't know what to do, the shit is about to hit the fan, and we just don't know what to do.

How many more people need to die for you guys to know what to do?
Miki
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 16:27:44

You use war and war-crime synonymously. Come on now. War is hell, everybody knows that. This is just rhetoric, Miki. I know you are capable of more reasoned posts. Here I try to do some American soul-searching and all you can do is bash.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rogerhb » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 16:43:09

PenultimateManStanding wrote:Come on now. War is hell, everybody knows that.

No, they don't. Every generation has to re-learn the lesson. We do not learn. Current generation thinks it's a video game and the media pander to that image with cameras on smart bombs etc.
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 16:49:31

rogerhb wrote:
PenultimateManStanding wrote:Come on now. War is hell, everybody knows that.
No, they don't. Every generation has to re-learn the lesson. We do not learn. Current generation thinks it's a video game and the media pander to that image with cameras on smart bombs etc.

You've got a good point there, rog. I saw one of the GIs in this film say that he thinks America needs to try out the war machine every decade or so. Could be some truth to that. Isn't that the way the world has always been? since long before America became the top dog?
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rogerhb » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 16:55:08

PenultimateManStanding wrote:Isn't that the way the world has always been? since long before America became the top dog?

Ever since young men have wanted adventure and the opportunity to prove their manhood, and the elders have seen something they wanted that somebody else had.
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews