Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Pope Thread (merged)

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

THE Pope Thread (merged)

Unread postby lorenzo » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 11:09:30

Who would be a good 21st century Holy Father? A third world Pope? Someone who explicitly wants to combat poverty, social inequality and exploitation? And what should his attitude be on the doctrinal front? Conservative or less so?

Since the Pope can yield a tremendous impact on the lives of more than a billion people, and has a direct global political role, the choice of a Pope is quite an important matter. Who would be your ideal candidate?
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 30 Jun 2012, 21:17:41, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Pope Thread.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby killJOY » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 11:39:28

How about none of the above?

How about burying the church back in the dark ages whence it comes?
Peak oil = comet Kohoutek.
killJOY
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SD_Scott » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 12:39:27

They should appoint an economist.
SD_Scott
Coal
Coal

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 12:44:34

Ratzinger is too old and will not be considered.

You left too many off your list.

There is a good candidate from Argentina, several from Italy and several from Africa. Please expand the poll.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby erl » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 13:03:19

I didn't know I was allowed to vote.
erl
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Yavicleus » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 13:05:43

I think it would be awsome for a South American (or any other non-European country) to become the Pope. I guess we'll have to wait and see though.
Yavicleus
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Triffin » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 13:19:12

Anyone under the age of 50 ..

Triff ..
Triffin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lorenzo » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 13:32:51

SD_Scott wrote:They should appoint an economist.

Well, Maradiaga has PhDs in economics, philosophy, psychology, sociology, politicology - sadly he's probably a bit too young.
Last edited by lorenzo on Sun 03 Apr 2005, 13:35:42, edited 1 time in total.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby lorenzo » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 13:35:10

DomusAlbion wrote:You left too many off your list.

There is a good candidate from Argentina, several from Italy and several from Africa. Please expand the poll.

True, but I just picked some who feature in many top-5s.

I can't expand the poll once it's posted, I think.

Anyway, I really hope we finally get a non-European pope. On the other hand, Danneels would be great to modernize and relaunch the church in Europe. He's probably too progressive though and he comes from a country where euthanasia, abortion and gay marriage have been legalized.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby threadbear » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 13:51:39

Ratzinger, for sure. Doesn't matter how old he is. Send him to a taxidermist and have Disney animatronics do the rest.

If he's a theo-con. He gets it. End of story.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jack » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 14:21:15

I think the best Pope would be...me.

True, I'm not a Catholic...have no background in religion...have no credentials in the field...

But, technically, they could elect me.

I promise that I will comfort the affluent and reprove the destitute. 8)
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lorenzo » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 14:34:38

Jack wrote:I think the best Pope would be...me.

True, I'm not a Catholic...have no background in religion...have no credentials in the field...

But, technically, they could elect me.

I promise that I will comfort the affluent and reprove the destitute. 8)

I'm sorry, I think you have to be a Catholic. I'm not sure though. I know that one doesn't have to be a cardinal, not even a priest. In theory, a lay man can be elected Pope. But I think you have to have had your Holy Sacraments.

Of course, if you want to comfort the affluent, you don't stand a chance, because the Catholic Church is the strongest force of justice and social change on the planet. A conservative socio-economic agenda won't make it; you'll have to appy chez les protestants. :)
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Geology_Guy » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 15:48:21

I am Catholic and I also think it would be great to have a Pope from Latin America or Africa or Asia.

I do wish to point out that not all Popes were from Europe although for the last 500 years or so they all have been from Italy or other European countries.

In the days of the late Roman Empire there were several Popes from North Africa and the Middle East.
Geology_Guy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 16:03:55

I would like to see the church become more of a force for global change instead of just guarding the old ways.

Actually my guy is guaranteed not to become pope according to Nostradamus. Nosty predicted there would be three popes in the new millenium. the old one, who would pass away, the successor who would be chosen for the best reasons (the good of the world) but whose reign would be short lived (in relative terms).

and the last who would be "the beasts" co-conspitator. this pope was predicted to open the way for and work with the beast (you know 666) whom Nostradamus said was born in 1960 and whose name was a play on the word MABUS, who was born in Isreal but was not jewish.

The evangelicals must be besides themselves. :-D
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Phil » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 16:33:45

How about none of the above? How about burying the church back in the dark ages whence it comes?

Bravo.

Of course, if you want to comfort the affluent, you don't stand a chance, because the Catholic Church is the strongest force of justice and social change on the planet.

You have got to be kidding me.

Actually my guy is guaranteed not to become pope according to Nostradamus. Nosty predicted there would be three popes in the new millenium.

Phil
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby NevadaGhosts » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 16:43:07

Who should be the next pope? Who gives a damn? I don't. With peak oil upon us, this is a really stupid and pointless thread. What the hell does the pope have to do with peak oil? Put it in the open discussion section. Geez.
Last edited by NevadaGhosts on Sun 03 Apr 2005, 16:47:06, edited 1 time in total.
NevadaGhosts
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 16:46:05

?? of course... you aren't taking this that seriously are you? Does the Catholic church really amount to anything now? Does anyone really listen to their rants on abortion? to the AIDS plight in Africa? How they condone and expect their people to keep bringing babbies into the world so they can live with AIDS and in starvation?

Does anyone listen to any of the churches when they go on about whether or not Isreal has a valid claim? Do they care that the church says abstinence is the only way and ignorance is best?

Stick tongue firmly in either cheek (your choice) and plunge ahead!
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby linlithgowoil » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 17:48:38

?? of course... you aren't taking this that seriously are you? Does the Catholic church really amount to anything now? Does anyone really listen to their rants on abortion? to the AIDS plight in Africa? How they condone and expect their people to keep bringing babbies into the world so they can live with AIDS and in starvation?

Does anyone listen to any of the churches when they go on about whether or not Isreal has a valid claim? Do they care that the church says abstinence is the only way and ignorance is best?

Stick tongue firmly in either cheek (your choice) and plunge ahead

The Catholic Church is more relevant now than it has ever been. And, pray tell, what are these 'rants on abortion'? Abortion is wrong and is the same as stabbing a new born baby to death - murder. Just because you cant see the baby being torn limb from limb doesn't mean it isn't happening and doesn't mean it isn't dying in total silent agony.

Abortion and euthenasia lead to the dehumanising of people. People are only valued in terms of what benefits they can bring or what skills they have - not for the simple fact that they are a human being.

The Catholic Church is one of the last remaining pillars of light in this dark world we live in. Without Jesus and the Church, there is no hope.

Additionally, i wish people would stop talking about 'conservative' or 'liberal' catholics. The Catholic Church has one true viewpoint which all Catholics must adhere to. You are either a Catholic or you are not. If you do not agree with all of the views of the Catholic Church you are not a Catholic.
linlithgowoil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ebyss » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 17:57:04

The Catholic Church is one of the last remaining pillars of light in this dark world we live in. Without Jesus and the Church, there is no hope.

Why do people continually skirt over the issue of paedophilia in the Church. How is this any different to abortion or euthanasia? It's even worse IMO, the ultimate betrayal of trust between a priest and his young flock. And yet it is ignored. Why?

Additionally, i wish people would stop talking about 'conservative' or 'liberal' catholics. The Catholic Church has one true viewpoint which all Catholics must adhere to. You are either a Catholic or you are not. If you do not agree with all of the views of the Catholic Church you are not a Catholic.

Sorry, I disagree. If you were right you would have alot less Catholics. Virtually none of the Catholics in my country adhere strictly to Catholicism in the way you suggest. They are part-time Catholics, paying lip service whenever guilt or obligation forces them to... this kind of hypocrisy makes me sick, and yet it's what every Catholic I know does.. and I know ALOT of Catholics.
Last edited by Ebyss on Sun 03 Apr 2005, 17:58:10, edited 1 time in total.
We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas.

I am only one. I can only do what one can do. But what one can do, I will do. -- John Seymour.
Ebyss
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Barbara » Sun 03 Apr 2005, 17:57:36

:lol:
"Everybody can be Pope?"
:lol:
I can't believe you believe this! Only cardinals can be Pope, and only when they are under 80 years of age. You believe Roman Church is a democracy? HA! It's an absolute monarchy. The Pope is elected by cardinals, not by "we the people".
Sorry, but none of us will ever be Pope. And me, more than you of course, being a girl!
**no english mothertongue**
--------
Objects in the rear view mirror
are closer than they appear.
Barbara
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion