Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Screen resolution

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Screen resolution

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 21:34:53

What screen resolution settings do I need to set my display to so that I do not have to scroll right to see the entire post of every message? On the old software I only had to scroll when someone posted an oversize picture, on the new software I have to scroll every thread I view when I open it. I can still access everything but it is kind of annoying so I wanted to make you aware of it.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Screen resolution

Unread postby TWilliam » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 22:01:45

I'm set at 1680 x 1050, and I can resize my browser window to about two thirds of the full screen width before the forum's automatic word wrap stops and the horizontal scroll bar appears. I can also adjust font size instantly in Firefox using the <CTRL> + scrollwheel combination (or alternatively the <CTRL> + <+> or <CTRL + <-> key combinations if you lack a scrolling mouse), and I have to make it pretty dang big before I need to side-scroll. The CSS for the forums has the font default set at 14, which is not overly large, so either you have a really low resolution on your monitor (I have to go down to 960 x 600 to induce side-scrolling at default), or you need to alter your font settings...
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 22:15:17

TWilliam wrote:I'm set at 1680 x 1050, and I can resize my browser window to about two thirds of the full screen width before the forum's automatic word wrap stops and the horizontal scroll bar appears. I can also adjust font size instantly in Firefox using the <CTRL> + scrollwheel combination (or alternatively the <CTRL> + <+> or <CTRL + <-> key combinations if you lack a scrolling mouse), and I have to make it pretty dang big before I need to side-scroll. The CSS for the forums has the font default set at 14, which is not overly large, so either you have a really low resolution on your monitor (I have to go down to 960 x 600 to induce side-scrolling at default), or you need to alter your font settings...

Thanx I think! I reset to 1280 x 768 and got rid of the scroll bar, but not sure how long my eyes will be able to handle this resolution level.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TWilliam » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 22:30:02

Tanada wrote:Thanx I think! I reset to 1280 x 768 and got rid of the scroll bar, but not sure how long my eyes will be able to handle this resolution level.

No problem Tanada. I should think that there would be somewhere in your OS to adjust the default font size for your system overall. What OS do you use?
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 02:37:42

TWilliam wrote:
Tanada wrote:Thanx I think! I reset to 1280 x 768 and got rid of the scroll bar, but not sure how long my eyes will be able to handle this resolution level.

No problem Tanada. I should think that there would be somewhere in your OS to adjust the default font size for your system overall. What OS do you use?

This particular (antique) computer runs Win XP, I know most people despise Windows but it was store bought and compatible with my ex-wife's IT training so I never changed it, now it is just old. In this case the hardware is a Compaq, a company I have had several computers from when I was younger and flusher with money and always found reliable.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TWilliam » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 03:45:02

Tanada wrote:This particular (antique) computer runs Win XP, I know most people despise Windows but it was store bought and compatible with my ex-wife's IT training so I never changed it, now it is just old. In this case the hardware is a Compaq, a company I have had several computers from when I was younger and flusher with money and always found reliable.

No worries. I dug up this page that should have some helpful info:

Changing Windows' Default Display Font Size

If you're not overly picky about your settings then the simple method in the first section of the page ought to be adequate, I should think...
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Leanan » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 10:11:17

Consider using Firefox. It's much better with text size than IE. You can resize the text with a click, and it "remembers" your setting for each web site, so you don't have to constantly adjust it.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Return to Technical Support