Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

PO.com Visitor Profiles

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

PO.com Visitor Profiles

Unread postby Aaron » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 15:25:14

Interesting:

...student at Mizzou in electrical engineering

...junior in high school and I work at the zoo on weekends

I work part-time for a swine vet, just turned 40, been married 18 years and am child-free by choice. Graduated high school.

Radio Engineer with a masters degree in computational physics

Master of social science (Culture, Society, Media)
Working as an informant at a building proprietor.

Deputy Sheriff. High school graduate

three advanced univ. degrees, energy profssional

unix systems admin 37...

Unemployed. Disabled. Seeking job training thru Vocational Rehabilitation currently. Business degree

Computer hardware engineer (I do VHDL programming of custom FPGAs for a DSP/image processing company). BSEE with a concentration in Computer Engineering

Master in Anthropology. Journalist.

Computer programmer by day. Convenience store clerk (soon to become assistant manager) by night/weekends. Bachelor's degree in Information Systems.

Associates in Applied Business and a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. Owner of a small computer consulting shop.

BS Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M
Process Engineer in Refining

BS Physics, BA Philosophy. Most recently worked in visual effects for the film industry. Currently unemployed and considering looking for work in energy technology.

Highschool senior, I'm applying for a job. I'm into studying subjects related to science.

Software architect, engineer, designer, scripter, debugger, troubleshooter, "Swiss army knife" etc, Java/J2EE. M. Phil Applied Science (Com Eng). Currently in a small local software company, formerly from govt/military R&D (IT security).

Malaysia, computer technician, sales (b4 11/2004)
farmer (after 11/2004)

British student studying towards a degree in Communication and Computer Networks. Currently unemployed and up to my arse in student loans, joy.

Master of computer sciences, currently freelancing contractor/programmer.

Bsc Economics , work in horticulture

currently - Senior Systems Engineer w/defense contractor

A part 7th grade education

Former National Park Ranger, EMT, professional photographer/writer, desert naturalist, former building contractor. 53 years old. Bunch of college and tech schools, no degrees.

Chemical/biochemical engineering student, with a few "kiddie" jobs in the nuclear consulting business.

BA in comparative politics, MA in interdisciplinary consciousness studies.

Telecoms engineer, design & program PBX & voicemail systems and telecommuter infrastructure.

Masters in Psychology. Retired US Air Force Fighter Plane flyer type guy. Now work in media and creative services.

PhD Sociology. Asst Prof at a cute little liberal arts school in the US

Bachelor of Science in Environmental Studies (Land Use Planning). Currently work for local government as a GIS Analyst (Geographic Information Systems).

systems technologist.

Natural Resource Planner, county government (CA).

currently an English tutor.

BA English/Business and technical writing; employee of Large Internet Retailer during the bubble in a variety of positions, inc. customer service, corporate trainer, web-based training developer

Property Manager (Office Buildings)

High School Graduate (barely)
Work in the Alaska oil patch

BA literature and education
MA communication (journalism)

h.s. teacher, hotel deskclerk, winery worker, circus worker, newspaper reporter and editor, technical writer for HP.

BA in Liberal Arts. My title is Data Mining Engineer at an anti-spam company in Silicon Valley

some college-physics-RPI
restaurant manager by night
woodworking by day

Married, stay-at-home Mom

college student majoring in Biochemical/maybe Chemical Engineering

High School - 5 years in Arts and Law at Uni.
15 years Clerk of Courts and Chamber Magistrate; then trainer, administration various; real estate; worm farmer / permaculturalist and now biofuel entrepreneurnfor past 6 years.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby KiddieKorral » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 15:29:00

Uhhhh... is there a point to this?
American by birth, Muslim by choice, Southern by the grace of God!
KiddieKorral
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby UncoveringTruths » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 15:31:12

Uhhhh... is there a point to this?

I am guessing that we have a diverse background of individuals on this board.
UncoveringTruths
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KiddieKorral » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 15:32:20

Ah. Spiffy.
American by birth, Muslim by choice, Southern by the grace of God!
KiddieKorral
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JR » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 16:49:06

I was guessing the diverse background as well. It's interesting.

Jodi
JR
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Aaron » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 17:18:21

Just thought it was nifty seeing all the responses in a tight group for contrast.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Terran » Wed 08 Dec 2004, 19:12:38

We have a pretty diverse age group too.
Terran
Coal
Coal

Peakoil goes mainstream BIGTIME peakoil.com floods

Unread postby mmasters » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 01:15:29

I was wondering if any consideration has been made to this? The past many months has shown us numerous tv shows and news programs flirting with PO - as if it's being slowly introduced to the public. Now what if this slow introduction were to become much more...

Whether this may or may not happen is one debate but I think we can all say it's possible. And if this were to happen surely a website with a name like "Peakoil.com" would get flooded by a great avalanche of new visitors.

I tend to think this would cause a serious disruption to the board, anywhere from newbie overload to perhaps a DOS attack on the site server. Has there been any thoughts about archiving the site? Or an alternate site elsewhere, to shield the current members from a tidal wave of newcomers ruining the board. Other thoughts?
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Peakoil goes mainstream BIGTIME peakoil.com floods

Unread postby rogerhb » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 04:15:18

mmasters wrote:Has there been any thoughts about archiving the site?

I wonder if the admins ever thought of that.....
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 07:29:04

Yes we backup the site. And we run on a RAID Array for redundency.

Yes we get attacked all the time. (I mean all the time) Our server log looks like a brute-force hacking tutorial.

Yes we think in terms of future needs for the board.

We have a whompin' dual-core bad boy server with tons O' bandwidth currently. We may need to expand that if things get really busy. We are researching a migration to another forum software package that's more robust & full featured.

It's a real consideration, but one we have met 2+ years running... on a shoe-string I might add.

And so it goes...

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby rogerhb » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 07:34:30

Aaron wrote:We may need to expand that if things get really busy. We are researching a migration to another forum software package that's more robust & full featured.

As Prof. Bartlett would ask, "Are we talking exponential growth here?"

And is this a manifestation of it:

HTTP reply wrote:SQL Error : 1153 Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fergus » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 09:03:09

Dang, I had just read a story about PO becoming mainstream. I had thought about posting it, but had promised a mod here I would never start another thread as sometimes I dont know where to put things and get tired of being scolded for trying to add to the discussion. But this story was stating that PO is becoming a real issue and a fore front thought in main stream America. Infact over the last two weeks, several pple at work approached me and asked about PO and what I thought the future held. But it all reinforces that fact that pple are catching on in droves lately. Alas, while my sister lives in denial, others are finding out the ugly truth that we have painted ourselves into a corner we may not be able to get out of.

It looks real, You see governement agencies, government personnel, Army personnel and private companies admitting or adjusting without admitting that oil is becoming an issue. You see Iran threateneing to use oil as a weapon. You see countries shift away from energy by oil to other forms of energy. If you look around and see whats really happening, you can draw inferences to cheap energy is gone and we are living on borrowed times, unless a miracle happens.

Its real folks and its about to burst onto the stage of Mainstream America. How it plays out is still a mystery and all guesses are just as good as any other. But the fact the cheap energy is gone, is a fact of life and now we are ready to dig 28-30,000 feet for oil that wont be cheap at all. We are an addict and looks like we will do anything to keep the supply coming.
Fergus
Coal
Coal

Unread postby rogerhb » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 09:07:02

Fergus wrote:Alas, while my sister lives in denial

Is she Egyptian?
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fergus » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 09:21:30

rogerhb wrote:
Fergus wrote:Alas, while my sister lives in denial

Is she Egyptian?

LMAO - somettimes I think so. But no, shes a Houstonian.
Fergus
Coal
Coal

PeakOil.com mention

Unread postby Leanan » Sat 28 Apr 2007, 12:10:31

Sort of. This article talks about how quickly their story about a new way to make hydrogen was picked up:

"One of them that really startled us was Peak Oil's (Web site)," Hunt said. "They had it posted an hour after the article came out."

According to the time stamp, the article was posted on the oil company's Web site before the printed version of that Sunday's Register-Mail was delivered. It was within an hour after the story was posted on the newspaper's Web site.

I'm pretty sure that's us. In particular, Graeme, who as usual was up and posting at a time when most Americans are in bed.

But they think we're an oil company. :lol:
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Re: PeakOil.com mention

Unread postby Pops » Sat 28 Apr 2007, 13:21:32

:lol: That's pretty funny - especially the unstated part about why he was reading this board.

Come to think of it though, some might say we peddle Snake Oil.
:wink:
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Twilight » Sat 28 Apr 2007, 14:54:36

Leanan wrote:But they think we're an oil company.

A sort of public access oil consultancy that's embarassing to reference.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby steam_cannon » Sat 28 Apr 2007, 15:05:48

Pops wrote:Come to think of it though, some might say we peddle Snake Oil.
:wink:
No no, it's the Abiotic Oil people who are peddling snake oil... We sell DOOM! :lol:

But really, if we are selling anything it's hard skepticism. Taking solid data, charting obvious trends and reflecting on what they mean, instead of what we hope they would mean. I like the Oil Party kitchen analogy... That we are they guys in the kitchen who know the wine is running out. Where as the drunk party goers aren't thinking much about how much wine there is or what their hangover is gonna be like in the morning.
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Laughs_Last » Sat 28 Apr 2007, 16:11:17

...has anyone calculated EROEI for snake oil? It must be low, but how low is it? I guess we should figure on raising grain, feeding it to mice, feeding mice to snakes, then squeezing it out of them or something.

As for mistaking Peak Oil for an oil company, maybe they mistook us for Peek Oil, which of course must be some kind of oil futures trade publication.
Laughs_Last
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Welcome