Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Please help me... to understand

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Please help me... to understand

Unread postby Aaron » Mon 27 Mar 2006, 15:56:56

Welcome to peakoil.com.

The questions you are asking cover a great deal of information.

I suggest you keep reading here, as well as browse our links section.

You will find many thoughts & opinions related to resource depletion.

What you are really asking... is this real?

The answer is yes... it's quite real.

The argument is about what will happen.

I leave that to you.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby rogerhb » Mon 27 Mar 2006, 20:40:28

ChoKyOTO wrote:What will happen if we have a major blackouts if there is one impeding? And When do you estimate?

We had an interesting one in Auckland a couple of years ago which was down to cables not being up to the job, power was out in the CBD for a month or so.

ChoKyOTO wrote:Since JOBS are oil-dependent, is it really worth to have JOBS?

Depends if you (a) like to eat and (b) have to buy food.

ChoKyOTO wrote:Are the products still being made by oil or recycables?

Yes (to the first part of that question)

ChoKyOTO wrote:Is oil really running out or is the economic impeding oil as oil is running out per se?

Oil is running out in the same way that you are dieing from the moment of your birth. Think of peak oil as being like the mid-life crisis when you realise that you are not as fit as you once were.

ChoKyOTO wrote:Right now I'm being skeptical of the future.

I believe that the future will exist at some point. :)
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Doly » Tue 28 Mar 2006, 09:07:33

ChoKyOTO wrote:What will happen if we have a major blackouts if there is one impeding? And When do you estimate?

I don't think there will be major blackouts in most places. It will depend on what kind of power plants there are in your country. Fuel-oil plants and gas plants are a problem. The rest aren't. From your screen name and your English grammar, I imagine you are Japanese. I believe Japan is powered mostly by nuclear plants. So blackouts shouldn't be your main concern.

ChoKyOTO wrote:Since JOBS are oil-dependent, is it really worth to have JOBS??

Jobs aren't oil-dependant. There were jobs before oil was ever used. It's true that the economy will probably go down, which means unemployment is likely to increase (maybe a lot). But I'd say the longer you can keep a job, or at the very least some source of income, the better your prospects are.

ChoKyOTO wrote:Are the products still being made by oil or recycables?

Most products traditionally made from oil are still made from oil. But this could change fairly quickly if oil becomes very expensive. Just about anything made from crude oil can be made from plant sources as well.

ChoKyOTO wrote:Is oil really running out or is the economic impeding oil as oil is running out per se?

Hard to parse that. I assume you are asking if oil is running out or it's just an economic effect. Oil isn't running out, it's about halfway. The problem is that, when we've used about half the oil, it also means that we've reached the peak of production. It is geologically impossible to produce any more than we are producing now. Production from now on will be in decline. And when the supply of something declines, the prices go up.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Return to Welcome