Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Unfair Advantage?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unfair Advantage?

Unread postby LogicMan » Mon 14 Feb 2005, 23:20:01

The fact that most of the populus doesn't believe we have a problem isn't bothering me much. I have a set of plans and the means to execute them at my own pace (within limits). If the desires of many people were met and more people were aware of the situation, the flexibility and ability to do what I want wouldn't be there. I'm pretty happy for now with the majority in the dark. Anyone else feel the same way?

As a side note, my gauge of when the populus becomes aware of this as an impending reality is when the crude oil futures (5-10 years out) no longer tail off to lower prices but rise to prices above the current year or two.

LogicMan
LogicMan
Wood
Wood

Re: Unfair Advantage?

Unread postby marek » Mon 14 Feb 2005, 23:51:31

LogicMan wrote:
As a side note, my gauge of when the populus becomes aware of this as an impending reality is when the crude oil futures (5-10 years out) no longer tail off to lower prices but rise to prices above the current year or two.

LogicMan

This is my "awareness" indicator too.
marek
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ECM » Tue 15 Feb 2005, 00:23:55

I say 5 years after the peak awareness in governments and corporations begin to make them understand the true reality of what is happening. At least many of those still in denial, most, will understand. Then the panic starts and the economy falls. People will be too busy scrambling to take the time to really understand what is happening and why. Only those that are prepared and a few that were on the fence will truly be aware.

Honestly, I would prefer most stay in the dark as there just isn't enough for everyone without cheap energy and many will die during the rebalancing. If everyone knew the wealthy would buy up everything that could be useful, mainly cropland, and the rest wouldn't have a chance.

I believe in finding alternatives but getting the masses to go along without a panic isn't possible.

Anyone interested in a co-op farm? Strength in numbers.

The rest can play out the Mad Max saga.
ECM
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby maverickdoc » Tue 15 Feb 2005, 01:21:22

ECM wrote:]
Anyone interested in a co-op farm? Strength in numbers.

The rest can play out the Mad Max saga.

depends where and how much it will cost
maverickdoc
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ECM » Tue 15 Feb 2005, 03:22:28

Unfortunately the last year has wiped me out financially so I must rebuild. :(

I figure it will be 3-5 years before I could invest in any decent sized property unless I can find a rare deal. However, farmland is relatively cheap and property taxes are very low. If only I could find a nice 30-50 acre patch of land with lots of wooded area.
ECM
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Peak Oil Discussion