Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

M. King Hubbert on

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

M. King Hubbert on

Unread postby JohnDenver » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 22:39:38

Hubbert didn't like the idea that there is "no free lunch". He felt it was a pernicious fallacy which is at the root of many of our problems:

In the distribution to the public of the products of industry, the failure of the present system is the direct result of the faulty premise upon which it is based. This is: that somehow a man is able by his personal services to render to society the equivalent of what he receives, from which it follows that the distribution to each shall be in accordance with the services rendered and that those who do not work must not eat. This is what our propagandists call 'the impossibility of getting something for nothing.' Aside from the fact that only by means of the sophistries of lawyers and economists can it be explained how, on this basis, those who do nothing at all frequently receive the largest shares of the national income, the simple fact is that it is impossible for any man to contribute to the social system the physical equivalent of what it costs the system to maintain him form birth till death--and the higher the physical standard of living the greater is this discrepancy.

Here he just comes out and says it: It's ALL a free lunch.

Since also the energy-cost of maintaining a human being exceeds by a large amount his ability to repay, we can abandon the fiction that what one is to receive is in payment for what one has done, and recognize that what we are really doing is utilizing the bounty that nature has provided us. Under these circumstances we recognize that we all are getting something for nothing, and the simplest way of effecting distribution is on a basis of equality, especially so when it is considered that production can be set equal to the limit of our capacity to consume, commensurate with adequate conservation of our physical resources.

http://www.hubbertpeak.com/hubbert/hubecon.htm
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JohnDenver » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 23:11:05

This is deep stuff, folks. Please read Hubbert's words carefully, and ruminate on it for a while. I had to think about it for a long time (months! 8O) before it became clear.

Under these circumstances we recognize that we all are getting something for nothing, and the simplest way of effecting distribution is on a basis of equality, especially so when it is considered that production can be set equal to the limit of our capacity to consume, commensurate with adequate conservation of our physical resources.

Hubbert was a genius.
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

I love him..

Unread postby UIUCstudent01 » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 23:53:24

He also advocated/created technocracy. My brother and I talked about something like that in passing when we were younger.. It makes sense.

Of course, one could call it communism. Scientific communism. Sounds fun.
UIUCstudent01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Colorado-Valley » Wed 20 Apr 2005, 00:57:16

Isn't the whole capitalist theory based on creating scarcity?

Apparently in the energy business, it's called "bottlenecks."
Colorado-Valley
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby linlithgowoil » Wed 20 Apr 2005, 05:02:47

i thought the idea of capitalism was that a few people get very rich by inventing stuff/owning means of production. they pay the workers just enough to stop them being unhappy and being non-productive, and are protected from the odd rebellious worker by the police and the courts, who are also made up of the very same workers. divide and conquer?

essentially, though, its about power - not really money. its just like the feudal system that used to exist in europe. a guy at the top, with a few generals below, a few sargeants below that and so on until you get to the majority who are landless peasants.

even those who own their own homes, but have a mortgage over them, are actually landless in my opinion. you do not truly own your own home/land until you own it without debt, and i believe that very few people will ever get to this point in future. they'll either die in debt or be re-possessed, and we'll be back to just a few people (or corporations) owning land, and renting it to the general masses.
linlithgowoil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Hubbert peak theory and the UK

Unread postby Don_Quichote » Sun 29 May 2005, 07:57:41

Does it apply ?
Don_Quichote
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Carlhole » Sun 29 May 2005, 09:05:48

yes
Carlhole

Unread postby TheTurtle » Sun 29 May 2005, 09:13:43

UK has peaked.
TheTurtle
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Hubbert’s model: uses, meanings, and limits

Unread postby tdrive » Sat 04 Jun 2005, 21:43:42

The Oil & Gas Journal will have a two-part editorial analysis on Dr. M. K. Hubbert's work on peak oil production. The first part will be in the upcoming 06-Jun-05 release (Issue 21), the second in the subsequent 22-nd Issue.

Here is an advance peak from the Issue 21 article (Introduction):

It is well known that M. K. Hubbert successfully predicted the timing of peak US oil production. Since then, Hubbert’s model has been used extensively to predict peak oil production elsewhere, and the derived bell-shaped curve to describe production has appeared in many publications. However, forecasts of world and regional peak oil and natural gas production using this methodology have usually failed, leading to the implicit belief that such predictions will always fail and that we need not worry about finite resources.

The questions that must be asked are why the model succeeded for the US and what this can teach us about petroleum production modeling. A careful examination of Hubbert’s approach indicates that the most important reasons for his success in the US were stable markets, the high growth rate of demand, ready availability of low-cost imports, and a reasonable estimate of easily extractable reserves. This analysis also shows that his model cannot predict ultimate oil reserves and that it should be considered an econometric model.

Building on Hubbert’s vital insight, that cheap fossil fuel reserves are knowable and finite, one can state that for peak world oil production, political constraints should be much more important than resource constraints.

Cheers,
tdrive
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Antimatter » Sat 04 Jun 2005, 23:09:28

OGJ did a fair few articles on peak oil in 2004 and 2003. There was some chatter about the issue on the OGJ forums here: link
Editor Bob Williams appears to think PO is not imminent.
Antimatter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ubercrap » Sat 04 Jun 2005, 23:48:02

Antimatter wrote:OGJ did a fair few articles on peak oil in 2004 and 2003. There was some chatter about the issue on the OGJ forums here: link

I haven't read all of his comments on the OGJ forums yet, but already, he is criticizing Campbell for underestimating reserves like the oil sands in Alberta. However, by the very people running the oil sands production, who have every reason to be optimistic, claim 5 mbpd output after 2020 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... MUPL60.DTL. If "Hubbertian" models of oil production dropoff rates post peak are correct with regards to conventional oil (or even worse due to M.R.E.), we will see millions of barrels-per-day loss in production every year. 5 mpbd starts to sound like a drop in the bucket. The description that peak oil may be the exact midpoint of oil-type hydrocarbon extraction may be not quite true. Even if the oil sands and other similar things have vast amounts of recoverable oil compared to conventional reserves, what is the rate at which they can realistically be recovered? Peak oil, in its real world effect, is the peak rate of oil production. Only if the rate of non-conventional oil production can be ramped up to not only meet new demand, but make up for the yearly decline in conventional oil also, would it truly mitigate the peak oil problem. This doesn't seem likely even by the optimistic outlook from the very people who would benefit the most. Any thoughts on this?
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby holmes » Sat 04 Jun 2005, 23:56:24

ubercrap wrote:
Antimatter wrote:OGJ did a fair few articles on peak oil in 2004 and 2003. There was some chatter about the issue on the OGJ forums here: link

I haven't read all of his comments on the OGJ forums yet, but already, he is criticizing Campbell for underestimating reserves like the oil sands in Alberta. However, by the very people running the oil sands production, who have every reason to be optimistic, claim 5 mbpd output after 2020 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... MUPL60.DTL. If "Hubbertian" models of oil production dropoff rates post peak are correct with regards to conventional oil (or even worse due to M.R.E.), we will see millions of barrels-per-day loss in production every year. 5 mpbd starts to sound like a drop in the bucket. The descripotion that peak oil may be the exact midpoint of oil-type hydrocarbon extraction may be not quite true. Even if the oil sands and other similar things have vast amounts of recoverable oil compared to conventional reserves, what is the rate at which they can realistically be recovered? Peak oil, in its real world effect, is the peak rate of oil production. Only if the rate of non-conventional oil production can be ramped up to not only meet new demand, but make up for the yearly decline in conventional oil also, would it truly mitigate the peak oil problem. This doesn't seem likely even by the optimistic outlook from the very people who would benefit the most. Any thoughts on this?

yeah its all running out. I really dont get into these discussions. To me by 2050 if your alive you better have something setup that doesnt need oil.
holmes
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ubercrap » Sun 05 Jun 2005, 01:32:33

Heck, I was just reading about some of this in another post, and I had momentarily forgotten the huge amounts of natural gas needed for processing of the tar sands. Since it looks like natural gas is facing the same problems as oil, at least in North America, this is yet another factor... Strategically, it seems like a wiser allocation if we start importing natural gas from other continents on a huge scale, that it would be better used directly for whatever seems to be the most urgent need at the time (powering vehicles, heating homes?) than the energy intensive processing of the tar sands. Then there is the factor of water needed for processing...

As for the difficulty of the heavy oil extraction, I'll have to look into it...

I'm not sure I can even read the rest OGJ editor's posts referred to above- even mentioning the tar sands as a possible mitigator of peak oil seems to be wishful thinking, maybe even bordering on delusional from where I'm sitting. I wonder what the articles will be like?
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby cammo2004 » Sun 05 Jun 2005, 08:46:59

ubercrap wrote:

I haven't read all of his comments on the OGJ forums yet, but already, he is criticizing Campbell for underestimating reserves like the oil sands in Alberta. However, by the very people running the oil sands production, who have every reason to be optimistic, claim 5 mbpd output after 2020 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... MUPL60.DTL. If "Hubbertian" models of oil production dropoff rates post peak are correct with regards to conventional oil (or even worse due to M.R.E.), we will see millions of barrels-per-day loss in production every year. 5 mpbd starts to sound like a drop in the bucket. The description that peak oil may be the exact midpoint of oil-type hydrocarbon extraction may be not quite true. Even if the oil sands and other similar things have vast amounts of recoverable oil compared to conventional reserves, what is the rate at which they can realistically be recovered? Peak oil, in its real world effect, is the peak rate of oil production. Only if the rate of non-conventional oil production can be ramped up to not only meet new demand, but make up for the yearly decline in conventional oil also, would it truly mitigate the peak oil problem. This doesn't seem likely even by the optimistic outlook from the very people who would benefit the most. Any thoughts on this?

I think this is a very important point.

When I explain the PO phenomenon (lol, my mates are sick of it already :p, though one of them did go and see the End of Suburbia documentary (somebody was showing it at some place in the local area), I emphasise the point that the rate of supply is a significant factor.

The good news though is that one of my other friends seemed to be taking it all in when I explained it to her. Now the part of the equation she doesn't know is that I happen to like her. Alot.
cammo2004
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FatherOfTwo » Mon 06 Jun 2005, 14:14:44

ubercrap wrote:Heck, I was just reading about some of this in another post, and I had momentarily forgotten the huge amounts of natural gas needed for processing of the tar sands.

You are right on the extraction rate, and most likely will be proved wrong on the natural gas issue.

http://peakoil.com/fortopic6745.html
FatherOfTwo
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Mon 06 Jun 2005, 14:34:24

Really the only similarities one needs to see between Hubert’s prediction for the US and a possible global peak is this:

US oil discoveries peaked in the 30’s and 40’s regardless of every effort and approximately 40 years later production peaked.

And

World discoveries peaked in the 60’s and 70’s regardless of every effort and now it’s about 40 years later.

I’m no expert but it seems fairly obvious even to my little mind that you can’t pump what you can’t find.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ubercrap » Mon 06 Jun 2005, 16:42:18

FatherOfTwo wrote:
ubercrap wrote:Heck, I was just reading about some of this in another post, and I had momentarily forgotten the huge amounts of natural gas needed for processing of the tar sands.

You are right on the extraction rate, and most likely will be proved wrong on the natural gas issue.

http://peakoil.com/fortopic6745.html

Ah, I see, thanks for correcting me- but I guess I wasn't the only one with outdated info! :-D
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Help to locate Hubbert paper!

Unread postby rowante » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 22:14:36

I'm busy preparing a talk on peak oil for a cross-bencher state parliament briefing here in Oz and I need to locate a paper I once read on the M. K. Hubbert story.

I just searched thru all the obvious sites on google! doh! I can't remember if it was a PDF or a site page but it had Hubbert's original graphs... I remember it going into detail about how much oil one square on the grid represented etc.

The article had a very detailed description of Hubbert's actual presentation, the reaction of the industry at the time... it had great graphs comparing the varying estimates of URR showing the vast optimism of the USGS.

Any ideas, anybody?
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. - Aldous Huxley

Sydney Peak Oil
rowante
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Antimatter » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 23:18:35

http://www.hubbertpeak.com/hubbert/

Some papers by Hubbert are archived there.

Reading again though it sounds like you're not looking for a paper by Hubbert. Perhaps Bartlett?
Antimatter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby aldente » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 23:58:39

To present Peak Oil theory in the late 50's and 60's must have been an insane endeavour. Think of the mindset of that time. Look at the architecture and the general outlook onto the world. To throw in such a downer as the underlaying message of PO implicates- WOW!
This fellow was way ahead of his time. Image
aldente
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion