Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US Gasoline Tax

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

GAS TAX increase!

Unread postby Cool Hand Linc » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 00:38:06

We need to do things that will move our country in the right direction. I know the idea isn't popular. We need solutions!

A larger tax on fuel would do two things.
1. Raise money to be used in research for alternatives, money to be used for funding of public works projects for nuclear power plants, wind plants. Money for all the costly problems that are associated will Peak Oil and the moves that must be taken to get us out of this mess.
2. It will result in people driving less. The costs will be greater so individuals will be encouraged to do everything they can to save money. That money not spent for fuel will also mean less fuel used.

These to effects will have an positive overall effect on the situation.

So how much of a tax. Gradually increasing it over time would be best. A tax such as this would be a difficult thing for people and industries to deal with.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Tue 17 Mar 2009, 10:43:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to America's Discussion forum.
Peace out!

Cool Hand Linc 8)
Cool Hand Linc
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jato » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 00:51:51

I have to vote no. I would only go for this if the government abolished state and federal income tax. I will never vote for a higher tax. At least not until the government spends its current tax money wisely. But that will never happen.
jato

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 00:52:22

The problem is the effect on the economy.
Do we need to start raising the price? Yes.
Is it going to be easy? No.
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby savethehumans » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 01:54:23

With 4 more years of Bush ahead, however, I don't think we're going to see it happen...pity. :(
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 02:13:47

We need less taxes, what with the dollar losing its value

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/257979a6-30f4- ... 511c8.html
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby trespam » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 03:09:01

Specop_007 wrote:We need less taxes, what with the dollar losing its value

The dollar is losing its value because Americans are unwilling to pay for what they consumer, whether at the government level or the personal level. Look at the economist and what it has to say about the economic incompetence, for example, of the current administration:
http://economist.com/agenda/displayStor ... id=3351231

Energy taxes are a much wiser form of taxation than labor taxes. If we had started them years ago, the US would not be importing near the amount of energy from OPEC or other parts of the world, sending dollars abroad and therefore leading to further drops in the dollar.

The piper will be paid. If we don't pay for what we are consuming, the dollar will continue to drop and the standard of living of Americans will continue to decrease. In other words, higher taxes, or lower dollar, or lower services (e.g. toll roads and much more) will be necessary.
trespam
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby larrydallas » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 03:44:52

I am all for a higher gas tax.

The govt will waste money no matter what. I read the other day that the air force used $27 million to do a study on possible teleportation for people and equipment which concluded it was not possible at this time.

The gas tax should be $2 per gallon in all 50 states on top of any local tax the state and city govts. want to charge.

At first this seems harsh but it will be our salvation. The oil saved just by waste in vehicles can be used for more valuable things like food production and heating oil.

People will pool, buy smaller cars, combine trips, and not go out to just cruise like they do and always have.

If we don't see higher gas prices before the hard crash it will be a disaster with everything kind of gone at the same time. With high gas prices we will suffer but thing like food will still be available even if they are at higher prices.

The mid set of consumerism and waste has to be broken if we are to survive as a people so this induced conservation will be a better choice than a forced one which will be soon to come either way.
larrydallas
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Barbara » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 04:02:27

Just to remind you that here in EU we pay about $5 per gallon with heavy taxes, but people got accustomed. Economy is going as in the USA, people drive around alone like there's no tomorrow, there's a traffic like hell, every family has three or four cars.
Maybe the cars are smaller... but believe me: they buy smaller cars just because of those tiny city roads where they don't want to be glued in traffic, not for energy saving purposes.

When you speak of $5 per gallon as a disaster, you make me laugh: you don't know how people love their cars! 8O
**no english mothertongue**
--------
Objects in the rear view mirror
are closer than they appear.
Barbara
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rerere » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 04:11:58

jato wrote:At least not until the government spends its current tax money wisely.

Would 'transparent accounting' of the sovereign's spending be sufficient?
rerere
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 04:17:18

trespam wrote:
Specop_007 wrote:We need less taxes, what with the dollar losing its value

The dollar is losing its value because Americans are unwilling to pay for what they consumer, whether at the government level or the personal level. Look at the economist and what it has to say about the economic incompetence, for example, of the current administration:
http://economist.com/agenda/displayStor ... id=3351231

Energy taxes are a much wiser form of taxation than labor taxes. If we had started them years ago, the US would not be importing near the amount of energy from OPEC or other parts of the world, sending dollars abroad and therefore leading to further drops in the dollar.

The piper will be paid. If we don't pay for what we are consuming, the dollar will continue to drop and the standard of living of Americans will continue to decrease. In other words, higher taxes, or lower dollar, or lower services (e.g. toll roads and much more) will be necessary.

Lets just sum it up then.
We're screwed either way.
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby 2007 » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 06:38:31

America has a gas tax - it goes to opec.
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Permanently_Baffled » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 06:52:50

Barbara wrote:Just to remind you that here in EU we pay about $5 per gallon with heavy taxes, but people got accustomed. Economy is going as in the USA, people drive around alone like there's no tomorrow, there's a traffic like hell, every family has three or four cars.
Maybe the cars are smaller... but believe me: they buy smaller cars just because of those tiny city roads where they don't want to be glued in traffic, not for energy saving purposes.

When you speak of $5 per gallon as a disaster, you make me laugh: you don't know how people love their cars! 8O

I disagree with this Barbara. The higher fuel has without a doubt reduced consumption. The UK for example only 10 barrels of oil are consumed per capita per person per year. In the US this is over 26!

There maybe still loads of cars in Europe, but like you say there are smaller, doesnt matter if you have three or four cars , you can only drive one at a time!

PB :lol:
Permanently_Baffled
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 07:02:14

Permanently_Baffled wrote:
Barbara wrote:Just to remind you that here in EU we pay about $5 per gallon with heavy taxes, but people got accustomed. Economy is going as in the USA, people drive around alone like there's no tomorrow, there's a traffic like hell, every family has three or four cars.

I disagree with this Barbara. The higher fuel has without a doubt reduced consumption. The UK for example only 10 barrels of oil are consumed per capita per person per year. In the US this is over 26!

There maybe still loads of cars in Europe, but like you say there are smaller, doesnt matter if you have three or four cars , you can only drive one at a time!

PB :lol:

You have to look at socio-geographic (Is that a word??) conditions. Yes, Europe uses less gas but how many miles are driven? Our country spans a much larger area, so its only natural we would have the opportunity to drive farther and therefore use more gas. Factor in that our gas is also cheaper and you have the perfect recipe for a higher use of gasoline.
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 07:48:19

In Ireland they are proposing to tax SUVs unless you are either a builder or a farmer. It will be called a tax on vanity. Our economic boom has led to an unprecedented number of these monsters on the road and our roads are narrow especially in medieval town centres.

I am led to believe also that the US versions of SUVs available here commonly have twice the size of engine.

Why is this so?
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 07:58:39

Madpaddy wrote:In Ireland they are proposing to tax SUVs unless you are either a builder or a farmer. It will be called a tax on vanity. Our economic boom has led to an unprecedented number of these monsters on the road and our roads are narrow especially in medieval town centres.

I am led to believe also that the US versions of SUVs available here commonly have twice the size of engine.

Why is this so?

So we can pull the house behind us when we go on vacation.
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 08:00:30

Madpaddy wrote:In Ireland they are proposing to tax SUVs unless you are either a builder or a farmer. It will be called a tax on vanity. Our economic boom has led to an unprecedented number of these monsters on the road and our roads are narrow especially in medieval town centres.

Why is this so?

Damnit, i cant edit...

Too add.. SUV's are ONLY good for people movin/luxury. For the job site/farming you MUCH prefer a pickup. More room in the bed (No height restriction, drop the tailgate no length), the vehicle weighs slightly less and pickups are cheaper. Especially if you get a work truck. In fact, I dont think I've ever seen an SUV seriously used as a farm truck......
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 08:08:41

Should have figured that out on my own. I suppose it is true that many Americans have never been outside the US and vacation at home.

Could it be argued that us Europeans who fly to our holiday destinations use more fuel than Americans?

On average overall consumption by Europeans is less than half of Americans and there is room for big reductions over here also. Where I work we are putting in PIR (passive infra red) detectors in all offices so lights automatically turn off when you leave and don't turn on in the first place if natural lighting levels are high enough. We have realised that you can make people as energy aware as you like - they don't give a shit especially when they are not paying the bills so like bold children we have decided to take all responsibility out of their hands. They have no way of turning on lights for the sake of it. Duty personnel switch off computers in the evening getting rid of the blue glow from hundreds of unattended machines.

I don't know.
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JackBob » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 08:33:46

Why is this so?

In America we have real mountains, not these "pimples" of the British Isles. :razz:

JackBob
JackBob
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 08:37:03

True Jackbob

But don't burst my bubble - I can climb 5 of those pimples on an afternoon. Unfortunately so can my granny
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 09 Nov 2004, 08:50:56

Madpaddy wrote:Should have figured that out on my own. I suppose it is true that many Americans have never been outside the US and vacation at home.

Could it be argued that us Europeans who fly to our holiday destinations use more fuel than Americans?

On average overall consumption by Europeans is less than half of Americans and there is room for big reductions over here also. Where I work we are putting in PIR (passive infra red) detectors in all offices so lights automatically turn off when you leave and don't turn on in the first place if natural lighting levels are high enough. We have realised that you can make people as energy aware as you like - they don't give a shit especially when they are not paying the bills so like bold children we have decided to take all responsibility out of their hands. They have no way of turning on lights for the sake of it. Duty personnel switch off computers in the evening getting rid of the blue glow from hundreds of unattended machines.

I don't know.

Theres really not a big energy awareness in the workplace that I've seen. I know at my work theres been a minor push to turn off monitor/task lights at the end of the day. Its been mildly successfull as far as I know. I personally (At work and home) have mu screen saver set to turn off the monitor after 20 minutes. I also prefer to use the PC in the dark so I dont use lights either.
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to North America Discussion