Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Turn Everything Off" worldwide demonstration ??

Re: Earth hour nonsense upon us again

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 28 Mar 2010, 19:50:38

Specifically, people who are aware of the imminent collapse should stop acts of denial.

Lets not forget the two $700 billion dollar 'emergency' bank rescue packages of 2008. This was denial to the extreme. This was prop up 'business as usual' at all costs. The powers that be think they did it, they resurrected a doomed economy, the recovery of 2010-2011 is well underway and soon everything will be back to normal.

The truth, of course, is these emergency policies only delayed the day of reckoning. When demand recovers it immediatly hits the celing on oil production, global food limits, et al. We have now used 60 billion barrels of the remaining oil since 2008 and we are further down the depletion curve. When the crisis hits again it will be faster and harder, the proverbial bumpy plateau.

We need serious 'townhall' local efforts to restructure the economy around sustainability. Seriously reduce resource consumption. End growth objectives as primary business and government targets. Begin long term planning to dike essential cities like New York, Boston, Vancouver, and London from rising sea levels 50-100 years on.

Rethink how the economy functions with the knowledge that if you have 30% unemployment you get revolution. Jobs, or at least incomes have to be guaranteed to some basic minimum in preparation for economic downsizing.

Is any of this happening? Not even remotely. Instead we have make believe 'Earth hours', spend our time re-engineering laundry soap to be used in cold water and spend millions in advertising to get people to buy it (Jevons paradox in action), divert staple food crops for automobile use, ect, et al.

So Ludi now that I've answered, what do you call the collective stupidity of the masses?
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 28 Mar 2010, 19:54:21

Repent wrote:what do you call the collective stupidity of the masses?

Frog in the pot syndrome
mos6507

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 28 Mar 2010, 19:56:29

Repent wrote:Specifically, people who are aware of the imminent collapse should stop acts of denial.

Then we should all STOP living the way we are used to living. We should all STOP going to our jobs, buying food at the store, using money, etc etc. These are all acts of denial much greater in effect than the silly Earth Hour.

There's my answer for you - I call the Earth Hour "silly," specifically.

So, have you quit your job etc, yet?
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 28 Mar 2010, 19:57:55

americandream wrote:those who seek meaningful, lasting change.

Those who seek meaningful, lasting change, will find that pontificating on a worldsend is even more useless than Earth Hour. At least the earth hour people are attempting to engage the masses rather than preach to the converted.
mos6507

Unread postby americandream » Sun 28 Mar 2010, 20:10:54

How many decades more do you intend to give floundering in the stew before you realise you are being slowly cooked?

On the other hand, if each one of us took it upon ourselves to replace half cooked liberalism with a meaningful and radical rhetoric of change in everyday of our lives and with as many as we can, imagine the critical mass for real change that we could generate over those decades.

We know what needs to be done. The complete elimination of the private at every level, starting with JIT consumerism and the endless lines of obsolescent rubbish that clutters our daily lives and that ain't gonna happen without a populist uprising all over the globe. Anything else and you're just steeping yourself deeper in the stew you're submerged in.

mos6507 wrote:
americandream wrote:those who seek meaningful, lasting change.

Those who seek meaningful, lasting change, will find that pontificating on a worldsend is even more useless than Earth Hour. At least the earth hour people are attempting to engage the masses rather than preach to the converted.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 28 Mar 2010, 20:47:00

americandream wrote:if each one of us took it upon ourselves to replace half cooked liberalism with a meaningful and radical rhetoric of change in everyday of our lives and with as many as we can, imagine the critical mass for real change that we could generate over those decades.

So I take it you've been screaming "soylent green is people!" to everybody you meet in the neighborhood? Maybe waving a portrait of Malthus sign to passing motorists?

Didn't think so.
mos6507

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 28 Mar 2010, 21:11:34

I just don't personally think "rhetoric" is that much use. ACTION is of greater use, in my opinion. I'm personally much more impressed by what someone does than what someone talks about. What do they say - talk is cheap?

What are you DOING that is different? Are you being the change you want to see, and all that jazz? Even a little? Or just preaching?

(By "you" I don't mean you, mos - you have been trying to do stuff, even though its really hard. I guess more like I mean americandream - what's he doing?)
Ludi

Unread postby americandream » Sun 28 Mar 2010, 22:09:28

I have certainly not gone around telling folks, hey, join Amnesty International, send a dollar to a poor starving kid in Haiti, recycle your plastic water bottle or other such inane rubbish that passes off for action in the world of liberal nonsense.

I tell people in no uncertain terms...you want change, you're gonna have to get off your overfed fat butts and get rid of your bankster funded politicans and the crazyness of perpetual growth. No amount of One World Vision recycling of that solar powered Chinese vibrator is going to save your world or your excessively fed behind. Oppose the banksters every way you can including politicising employment, oppose recycling the detritus of fat cat capitalists (their crap is not our problem and its not for us to clear up the mess of their infernal sweatshops). Dump your trash in the streets and let them clear it up. Demand unions at work, demand that the free racket either stand on its own two feet including clearing up or be left to die AND no more use of the secular tax payer funded school system to breed worker bees is what I support and push to radicalise discourse.

That is a darn sight better than the current crop of New Age "love" will save us all smug nonsense that passes for the impulse for change. Problem with you lot is you're too scared to take a stand real time. Easy to make with the happy, happy kumbaya technology and love will save us all, let's save a bankster with love mumbo jumbo.

mos6507 wrote:
americandream wrote:if each one of us took it upon ourselves to replace half cooked liberalism with a meaningful and radical rhetoric of change in everyday of our lives and with as many as we can, imagine the critical mass for real change that we could generate over those decades.

So I take it you've been screaming "soylent green is people!" to everybody you meet in the neighborhood? Maybe waving a portrait of Malthus sign to passing motorists?

Didn't think so.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby timmac » Mon 29 Mar 2010, 02:46:40

Now that AD has gotten his true colors out for everyone to know him better I wonder if he would like to move to North Korea for the rest of his life, I am sure Kim Jum Ill would love you on his side, than you could come on here and post to us all what a wonderful life its like over there, Wait a moment no one is allowed Internet access over there, Hhmm, oh well it would be a wonderful life right AD..

Enough of the clowning now, AD do you really beleave in what you post or are you just ranting, because I am sure once your rights, house, computer, TV, radio, car, guns, etc have been confiscated you would have a hissy fit, am I right..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ayame » Mon 29 Mar 2010, 03:10:03

Loki wrote:And a communist revolution is a brewin'??? :lol: :lol:

But Loki, it's true. Lady Gaga has been twittering subtle commie messages for the past week now, haven't you noticed?

:P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

warning picture slightly risque (lots of cleavage): http://twitpic.com/1aqjhx
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby highlander » Mon 29 Mar 2010, 11:38:21

Tell me, americandream. exactly what redeeming quality do you possess that makes you think you will survive this marxist nirvana you spew about? If you look at history, you will find your ilk are the first to go.
This is where everybody puts profound words written by another...or not so profound words written by themselves
Highlander 2007
highlander
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate