Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tropic of Kansas

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Tropic of Kansas

Unread postby Revi » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 14:20:18

This is a real good dystopian novel. I was wondering if it really relates to what we talk about, and I just read this:

“You really think we can fix it?” said Sig, looking out at the creepy landscape. “All this? Like Xelina says.”
“My queen of the Anthropocene,” said Clint. “Gotta start somewhere. I look around and figure we’re just setting ourselves up for the big die-off. Mother Nature’ll take care of that. But doesn’t hurt to try. It’s like the Jesus freaks say. ‘It’s comin’. Look busy.’”

Excerpt From: Christopher Brown. “Tropic of Kansas.” iBooks. https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/tropic ... 6471?mt=11

I think you'll like it. It sets up a really tough choice for the main character, Tania and it keeps getting tougher for her.

Definitely worth a read!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Tropic of Kansas

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 14:42:56

Thanks. I'll give that a try via Kindle.

I wish the reviews had opined whether the scenario (i.e. what the climate is like) overall seems roughly realistic with what we know about climate science. I didn't see anything more specific than "This seems like it could happen" sorts of comments.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Re: Tropic of Kansas

Unread postby Revi » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 15:07:40

Yes, it's not that specific. I would say it's not about just climate. It's a book about totalitarian governments and the need to stand up to them.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews