Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Thin Ice — the movie

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Thin Ice — the movie

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 08 Apr 2013, 21:29:41

It looks like this film will be activated for online viewing on April 22nd.

Some of my friends have made a film, Thin Ice, which tells the story of CO2 and climate from the standpoint of the climate scientists who are out there in the trenches trying to figure out what is going on. I have a small role in the film myself, and I am sure RealClimate readers will recognize many more familiar faces. One of the many things I like about this film is that it puts a human face on climate science. It’s harder to demonize people when you feel you know them, and realize that in the end they’re not that different from you and your neighbors (except maybe they know more about CO2 and climate than some others you might meet).

A description of the project, including trailers and clips can be found here . The film will be available during Earth Week for free streaming. Or even better, you can arrange a free screening for your group (details for obtaining a free Earth Week download for screening are available here ). Read below the fold for more information

Here is what Peter Barrett, the team leader for the film project has to say:

“A group of us have produced another film about climate science, but in this one scientists do the talking.

Some are well known to you, others not so, but all talk with passion , concern and some humour about their work. The film is mainly the work of geologist and photographer Simon Lamb and science documentary producer David Sington, DOX Productions, who worked together on Earth Story (BBC Horizon, 1998). The story line is Simon’s journey as a geologist. He has heard the terrible things the press have been reporting about his climate science colleagues, so he decides to take his camera and find out what’s really happening.

The key messages from this 73 minute film are that scientists can be trusted and that ultimately we have to quit using fossil fuels. We do not try and say how this should be done, but we hope that the film will lead audiences into some deeper thinking on the issue and perhaps even a shift toward solutions. Check out the website www.thiniceclimate.org , where you can see the 3 minute trailer. The website contains another 3 hours of supplementary material in 37 short video clips about various aspects of climate science.

We’d like your help in spreading these messages by hosting a screening in your community. It’s also a chance to talk with them afterwards through a panel discussion/Q&A. We are making the film available as a free download (2GB) for a 2 ½ day period after Earth Day starts in New Zealand – just complete the Screenings Information sheet attached and e-mail to [email protected] so we can post it on the website and send you download instructions. The film will also be available free for streaming to those who are happy just to watch it at home.

We’ve also attached a one-pager on the project and a poster

Feel free to pass this message on. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Peter Barrett for the Thin Ice Team

PS While the film is in English with a range of accents we’ll have versions with subtitles in English, Mandarin, Spanish, French and German.”

realclimate
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Book/Media Reviews