Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

There's No Tomorrow

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

There's No Tomorrow

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 04 Jan 2013, 19:04:26

There's No Tomorrow

On New Year’s Day, I received an email with an attached video entitled “There’s No Tomorrow.” It’s about a half-hour long and explains how our planet is being exploited by the rich and powerful with assistance from governments around the world.

It also illustrates how this exploitation will be complete around the middle of this century when the vast majority of carbon-based resources will have been depleted. At that point, the world’s population is expected to be around 9 billion and life on Earth will be an utter nightmare.

thestar
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: There's No Tomorrow

Unread postby Lore » Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:27:59

I'm preparing for the above scenario by dying before it all happens.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby WildRose » Fri 04 Jan 2013, 23:34:50

I watched the video. It seems that the Post Carbon Institute doesn't want us resting on our laurels just because of shale gas and oil! (See the comparison of shale to a box of breakfast cereal.) I also liked the chess board segment, and the emphasis on the pitfalls of growth. Apparently Prof. Albert Bartlett provided some contribution to the production.

In any case, the video is as good an introduction to resource depletion as I've seen.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sat 05 Jan 2013, 00:09:36

pstarr wrote:
Lore wrote:I'm preparing for the above scenario by dying before it all happens.
You must be an old fart. It's happening now.

I'm not arguing either point.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:15:58

vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:18:08

Lore wrote:I'm preparing for the above scenario by dying before it all happens.

Old Man, look @ my life.....
vision-master

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Sat 05 Jan 2013, 14:46:58

This is actually a good basic Peak Oil explanation type video.... I've been preparing for 6 years now and it's actually a more enjoyable way to live...

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 05 Jan 2013, 17:09:01

vision-master

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 05 Jan 2013, 18:37:01

Great video
In real terms Iraq did have WOMDs they just weren't "conventional" bombs but they could destroy Western Civilisation and the US just by destroying the petro dollar simply by selling oil in Euros.
Shows you how fragile western civilisation really is.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Sun 06 Jan 2013, 15:33:29

Shaved Monkey wrote:Great video
In real terms Iraq did have WOMDs they just weren't "conventional" bombs but they could destroy Western Civilisation and the US just by destroying the petro dollar simply by selling oil in Euros.
Shows you how fragile western civilisation really is.

I won't be surprised if China dumps our notes when we try and intervene over the South China Sea oil....

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 06 Jan 2013, 17:10:59

It's fish oil they are really fighting over in SE Asia anyhow, the confirmed crude plays are miniscule compared to other field regions. Playing up speculated plays is hoped to bring the interest of the big guns into defending the tiger nations from Chinese regional oligarchy.

All the noise in this region appears to be about oil and gas, from a distance, but up close it's much more about fishing and food. 2012 was the year China openly declared sovereignty over most of SE Asia based on some concept of ancient eminent domain (highly questionable given the deep tribal diversity which is the reality of this region).

Of course governments in the region hope to find massive quantities of oil/ gas, to power their growth. Indonesia is at tipping point and will join the rest of the region as net oil buyers this year or next.
It is highly doubtful there is a new mega field anywhere in SE Asia, something at scale to warrant at scale intervention by the west. If the west is to intervene, it will be against Chinese empiricism over resources generally, much more generally than just fossil fuels.

As someone living in the region I would rate the resource priority list more like: fish, rice, potable reliable water, agrible land, then oil & gas. The fact that folks easily blank out starvation of far away people but feel the pain of peak oil in their pockets each time they fill up or negotiate a new job for a lower wage for the first time in their lives gives a clue to the leprechaun search motive coming to dominate regional geo-politics. People at any level are almost completely unready for the fact that there is no pot of gold, no leprechaun, no vast pools of undiscovered oil or magical new alternative.

Only those close enough to the source of their own sustenance are directly aware of the delicacy of balance and minimum input requirements for life. Most of those are still fully dependent on a list of fossil fuel derivatives. Some are relatively capable of adaptation to go an without oil. Small boat fishing and rice farming have sustained many millions before the advent of the oil age. By 2050 we could easily see the entire South China Sea being a militarized fishing zone. By then it could easily have burnt all of it's known O&G without exports. With, even sooner.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Book/Media Reviews