Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Yemen Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Yemen economy 'on verge of collapse'

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 18 Nov 2014, 20:54:58

vox_mundi wrote: beat .... a child??? .... abuse

Please keep your sick-o fantasies about beating children and child abuse to yourself. :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 18 Nov 2014, 21:04:33

GHung wrote:I could tell you a lot about US involvement going back to Reagan...

????

The disruptions in Yemen society due to drone strikes have nothing to do with Reagan. The regular and intensive use of drone strikes in Yemen only started with the Obama administration. 2013 was a particularly intense year for US drone strikes in Yemen, producing hundreds of casualties and contributing to the mess we now see just a year later.

Beginning in 2009, the Obama administration made drone strikes its go-to method for killing members of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), causing a spike in reports of drones in Yemen. .....some accused the administration of playing God. "Obama and his aides have become the judge and the executioner," Anwar's brother, Ammar Al-Aulaqi, a Canada-educated engineer and prominent political activist said while sitting in his Sana'a office, "And that, I'm sure, is against the American values, against the American constitution and against the American law."

The problems with the Obama administration drone campaign in Yemen begin with the fact that the drone attacks have produced a LOT of civilian casualties. For instance, one attack decimated a peaceful wedding party:

As the sun began to set on that fateful winter day, the line of SUVs and pick-ups, decorated with simple ribbons and bows for the occasion, set off for its 22-mile trip. But as the procession came to a standstill to wait on some lagging vehicles, some of the tribesmen claim the faint humming sound they typically heard from planes overhead fell silent.The emptiness was soon filled with the unthinkable. "Missiles showered on our heads," Abdullah says, moving his hands frenetically. "I started to scream and shout for my cousins. Anyone who was still alive jumped out of their cars."

Four hellfires, striking seconds apart, pierced the sky, tearing through the fourth vehicle in the procession. When it was over, 12 men were dead, Saleh among them. At least 15 others were wounded according to survivors and activists, including Warda, whose eye was grazed by shrapnel and whose wedding dress was torn to shreds.

The blast was so intense that it reverberated all the way to al-Abusereema, where the groom's brother Aziz waited for the guests. "I called some people to ask what was that explosion and somebody told me it was the drone," Aziz recalls. "It was the most awful feeling."

"As we were driving to the site," he continues, "I felt myself going deeper and deeper into darkness. That is the feeling of a person who sees his brothers, cousins, relatives and friends dead by one strike, without reason."

From the 2014 article in Rolling Stone on the US drone campaign in Yemen cited in my link above.

Results of one of the US drone attacks on Yemen in 2013
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 00:24:20

Plant - Once again you demonstrate your incredible skill in logical fallacies ... 8O

Plantagenet wrote:

Please keep your sick-o fantasies about beating children and child abuse to yourself. :roll:

That's called a Fallacy of quoting out of context: :shock: The practice of quoting out of context, sometimes referred to as "contextomy", is a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning. Contextomies are stereotypically intentional.

Plantagenet wrote:
GHung wrote:I could tell you a lot about US involvement going back to Reagan...

???? The disruptions in Yemen society due to drone strikes have nothing to do with Reagan

He never mentioned drones, but you knew that and lied anyway. That's called a Straw man Fallacy :shock:

A straw man is a common type of argument based on the misrepresentation of an opponent's argument. To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument.

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 12:45:58

vox_mundi wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:

That's .... out of context

?????

Lets see now. This topic is about the Yemen economy, I posted a link to a lengthy article published in 2014 in Rolling Stone about the devastating effect US drone attacks are having on the Yemen economy, and out of the blue you made up a sick-o fantasy in your mind about completely unrelated fantasies you apparently have, then you posted it to this thread,

This site is for discussing the peak oil dynamic, and the concomitant side effects in politics, economics, culture, etc. This thread is about the Yemen economy.

If you want to make up fantasies on these unrelated subjects and post them and discuss them, then there are plenty of other creepy sites where creepy people will discuss your creepy fantasies with you, in any "context" you like.

I don't want to discuss your creepy fantasies. I asked you to please stop. I'm asking you again to please stop.

At this site, lets try to stick to Peak Oil and the related topics under discussion, OK?

So---do you have any opinions about the Yemen economy? Please share them.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 20:38:47

IMHO Planted agent has only one agenda except and his arguments rarely make sense!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby noobtube » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 12:35:57

What a way to be exposed as dishonest and unashamed.

Who knows, this Obama blamer may be a psychopath.

Not saying Obama is not guilty, but to hold him SOLELY responsible for ALL American foreign policy failures, going back to the 20th century, indicates a pathological character.

Why do Americans worship psychopaths? (Hannibal Lecter, Dexter, Benjamin Franklin, Theodore Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, Ronald Reagan, Steve Jobs, Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly).
noobtube
Lignite
Lignite

Pro-US Yemen government overthrown, US vehicles fired on

Unread postby Withnail » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 16:33:47

Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Pro-US Yemen government overthrown, US vehicles fired on

Unread postby Withnail » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 16:42:14

pstarr wrote:Peaked. Classic curve, obvious outcome.

And there are big problems with water as well as oil.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 21:51:06

I guess that "Yemen success" the president spoke of recently didn't turn out quite as expected. If you like your Yemeni government you can keep your Yemeni government. LMAO
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 22:01:37

Fishman wrote:I guess that "Yemen success" the president spoke of recently didn't turn out quite as expected. If you like your Yemeni government you can keep your Yemeni government. LMAO

Obama admin has a Saigon policy, regarding Yemen. They've pretty much just kept the navy ready with helicopters fueled up, to evacuate the embassy.

This has been going on for a long time, Yemen's been a mess for a long time, and this France attack had a Yemen connection.

Apparently the Obama administration did not handle it.

Hey Fish, the President is on tv now -- he has a plan for free community college for everyone and maybe some other goodies for the low low price of $320 billion. Which not even moderate Dems will vote for, much less R's.

I'm going to watch it, I love it when Democrats promise goodies they never had any intention of passing. :)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Tue 20 Jan 2015, 23:41:51

Sure Six; if we didn't piss so much money down black holes like Yemen, $320 billion wouldn't be a problem, eh?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 21 Jan 2015, 00:30:02

GHung wrote:Sure Six; if we didn't piss so much money down black holes like Yemen, $320 billion wouldn't be a problem, eh?

You have a point there!

But -- I don't want to see $320 billion going to a bunch of fat cat university bureaucrats either. (I'm sorry I brought that up, there's another thread for this -- but, universities and colleges in the US are horribly bloated, it's so ridiculous that a lot of them put money into hedge funds and wall street schemes, and a lot of them lost money. They don't need more money. Costs need to come down.)

And, also -- we really do have to do something about extremist muslims running around beheading people, public safety is #1.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 21 Jan 2015, 16:41:31

Is this the Shiite Houthi taking over? Have we lost another Sunni ally? For those of you not keeping score, Al Qaeda is Sunni like our faithful allies and Bush golf partners, the Sauds.

As the Houthis have taken more territory, they have increasingly clashed with al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the organization’s most deadly branch, based in Yemen.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabi ... 1417704587
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 21 Jan 2015, 17:54:50

PrestonSturges wrote:Is this the Shiite Houthi taking over? Have we lost another Sunni ally? For those of you not keeping score, Al Qaeda is Sunni like our faithful allies and Bush golf partners, the Sauds.

I can't seem to ever keep those two straight, shia and suni. Why do both have to start with a S.

I keep wanting to say Iran is the suni, but no that's the shia, okay the US allies are the suni.

AQ is suni, ok, gotcha, check.

And ISIS is -- suni too? And that's why Iran fights them, because they're shia, and Baghdad is all shia for a long time now and they threw all the suni out of there.

I'm guessing Assad must be shia or allied to shia, because our suni allies are all against him.

And ISIS is so bad, our suni allied governments are against them -- they don't want ISIS rolling over their own borders -- even though ISIS is suni too.

Ok, so now Yemen -- was the US backed government suni? Ok, so now shia terrorists have taken it? But at least they aren't suni ISIS terrorists then?

I'm going back to Ukraine, I can wrap my head around that one at least. :|
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Withnail » Wed 21 Jan 2015, 18:12:27

Sixstrings wrote:
I'm going back to Ukraine, I can wrap my head around that one at least. :|

Enjoy the photos on that thread :)
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 21 Jan 2015, 18:39:52

23,000,000 people in a country that could probably support 500,000
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Wed 21 Jan 2015, 19:05:54

Six, you're trying to apply logic to a nonlogical problem. Sunni fighting Sunni, Sunni fighting Shia, actually not much shia fighting shia. Pretty much the history of the middle east for the last 1400 years. Old Mo did like his sword.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion