Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Uranium Supply Thread pt 4 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Uranium Supply

Unread postby TonyPrep » Tue 17 Jun 2008, 06:34:05

mkwin wrote:Case closed.
I think that, in effect, you're right. If nuclear build starts in earnest, I'm sure that the operators will assume there there will be enough uranium, at whatever the required rate will be, for the life of however many reactors are built. I think it's unlikely that fuel longevity will even be a consideration.

I hope that full consideration of other factors takes place.
TonyPrep
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Starvid » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 12:55:26

Dezakin wrote:He's quite simply a troll whos goal is to bloat this thread with as much crap as possible.
It only took you 91 pages to figure that out? :wink:

Anyway, it seems the uranium question can now be closed and filed somewhere, and we can come back and review it again in 40 years or so. 8)
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 21:36:41

Starvid wrote:
Dezakin wrote:He's quite simply a troll whos goal is to bloat this thread with as much crap as possible.
It only took you 91 pages to figure that out? :wink:

Anyway, it seems the uranium question can now be closed and filed somewhere, and we can come back and review it again in 40 years or so. 8)

:twisted:

Its not over!

Peak Oil = Peak Uranium

We are just over the top of the mountain.

Now energy decline rules!

The fossile fuel oil needed so deeply in uranium production runs out.

No Oil => No Uranium !

Its so simple.........try to mine uranium or build / run a nuclear reactor without oil ..... its impossible.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Dezakin » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 09:51:30

M_B_S wrote:Its so simple.........try to mine uranium or build / run a nuclear reactor without oil ..... its impossible.

Impossible is a bit strong; it would be more correct to say that we dont rather than we cant. Fortunately you can make oil from uranium.
Dezakin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Tue 19 Aug 2008, 10:13:30

"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Starvid » Thu 21 Aug 2008, 15:49:31

Uranium seems to have stabilized around $65. This might be the new long term price now that the speculative bubble seems to have gone away.
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 21 Aug 2008, 18:20:28

Starvid wrote:Uranium seems to have stabilized around $65. This might be the new long term price now that the speculative bubble seems to have gone away.

Long term IMO of course, this price is high enough to ensure exploration to replace use while at the same time low enough to not have much impact on the price of Fission power.

As far as I can tell western Europe is still exporting moderatly depleated tails to Russia for upgrading, anyone have any recent news on that? I was trying to track it down the other day in reguards to world excess processing capacity. The American Centerfuge project is reportedly proceeding on schedual so that will add to world processing capacity unless the old gasseus diffusion plants are actually scrapped out, which could very well happen at current prices for the materials which make up these systems.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 26 Aug 2008, 23:58:46

--> Bloomberg <--
Paladin Energy Forecasts Doubling of Uranium Output This Year
By Angela Macdonald-Smith

Aug. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Paladin Energy Ltd., the Australian producer of uranium in Africa, said output is set to more than double this year as volumes increase at the Langer Heinrich mine in Namibia and a new project starts in Malawi.

Production should rise to 3.6 million pounds of uranium oxide in the year ending June 30, 2009, from 1.71 million in the preceding 12 months, Managing Director John Borshoff said on a conference call. Output should increase to 6.8 million pounds the following year, to 7.4 million in 2010-11 and 9.3 million in 2011-12, he said.

[...]
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 03:14:52

Here's an event which promises to allow more uranium on the market:

--> Bloomberg <--
Liberal Party Wins Government in Western Australia
By Robert Fenner

Sept. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Colin Barnett will become the next premier of Western Australia after his Liberal Party won National Party support for a coalition government, opening the way for uranium mining and genetically modified crops in the state.

The National Party received ``very good'' proposals from the Liberals and incumbent Labor Party before making its decision, Nationals Leader Brendon Grylls told reporters in Perth today. The Liberals won 24 seats in the 59-seat lower house and will form a government with the support of four Nationals and two independent members, ending a week of uncertainty after the Sept. 6 poll left no party with a majority.

Barnett, who promised to open up uranium mines and allow genetically modified crops, will head a state that accounts for a third of the nation's exports with 10 percent of its population.

``Those key policies of uranium and genetically modified crops will come through very quickly,'' said Peter Van Onselen, associate professor in political science at Perth's Edith Cowan University. ``Between them they also control the upper house.''

[...]
Last edited by copious.abundance on Fri 19 Sep 2008, 00:42:35, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 08:07:17

Their biggest fear has been over supply causing the price to drop too low, Canada and Australia really are like Sudi Arabia and Kuwait except for Uranium. Now that world demand is starting to pick up they feel safe producing more, however with the next generation RMWR in Japan undergoing detailed simulation prior to deciscion to build their window of opertunity is short. If they keep the price low enough they can kill the RMWR, if they guess wrong the RMWR will cut Uranium demand significantly even if we go all nuclear for 75% baseload electricity production.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1000 unemployed apply for 50 jobs at In-n-Out Burger

Unread postby InToWishin » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 11:27:34

Gorm wrote:Around here (Sweden), landfills are not used anymore and has not been for severeal [sic] years. They just created problems.

So where does the trash go instead? Also where does all the spent nuclear fuel that starvid keeps going on about go?
InToWishin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Gorm » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 15:41:48

InToWishin wrote:
Gorm wrote:Around here (Sweden), landfills are not used anymore and has not been for severeal [sic] years. They just created problems.
So where does the trash go instead? Also where does all the spent nuclear fuel that starvid keeps going on about go?

Trash is sorted, what can be recycled is or it is bunrt for heating or electrcity. Foodvaste and that kind waste is made to bio-fuels. Landfills are an enormus waste and we have decided to not have them. So we dont.

Nuclear waste are never ever dumped on a landfill. Not even in the USA I guess.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 16:46:16

Gorm wrote:
InToWishin wrote:

Trash is sorted, what can be recycled is or it is bunrt for heating or electrcity. Foodvaste and that kind waste is made to bio-fuels. Landfills are an enormus waste and we have decided to not have them. So we dont. Nuclear waste are never ever dumped on a landfill. Not even in the USA I guess.

They have a "special" landfill for that...it's called Yucca Mountain, wait...that's in Nevada too!
I'd rather be the killer than the victim.
The Money Badger don't care. Sucks to be poor!
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby the48thronin » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 14:58:38

Gorm wrote:Nuclear waste are never ever dumped on a landfill. Not even in the USA I guess.

Really... Hmmm check out the HUGE nuclear waste land fill at Barnwell, SC. There is another in Hanford Washington. I used to haul nuclear waste and I have been to both of them.

FWIW Even Sweden has nuclear waste dumps somewhere. Your uranium fluoride gas is stored ( at your expense) in stainless steel containers at Sargents Ohio. It is so corrosive the containers are pumped out into NEW containers on a regular schedule while science tries to find a safe way to dispose of or recycle that gas.

There was an experimental Fluoride gas recycling plant built back in the early 70s in Morris Ill. we spent over a year hauling the building, machinery and even the first 20 feet of foundation dirt to the dump in Barnwell, SC after a leak contaminated the place in 1977.

The dumps all over the world are run by a company called Chem-nuclear. The trucks hauling the waste used to belong to Home Transportation Company of Marietta Ga while Jimmie was president, now those same cannister trailers are hauled by Chem-Nuclear trucks or by Tri-state motor transport. There are long term costs of nuclear energy that have yet to be factored in. The dump at Barnwell was supposed to have room for another 100 years, but had to be doubled in size 3 years ago as it was full.

Imagine thousands of acres of land with placards saying do not allow human occupation or digging before the year 5000.
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby the48thronin » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 15:11:16

vaseline2008 wrote:They have a "special" landfill for that...it's called Yucca Mountain, wait...that's in Nevada too!

To date there is no nuclear waste in residence at Yucca Mountain. The two low level sites, Barnwell, Sc and Hanford, Washington are still the only receiving nuclear waste sites.
All spent fuel and high level waste is stored at site of use ( in pools at reactor sites. NONE is at this time being transported.

Weapons grade is not waste, but is not stored in Nevada but either at Hanford where it is generated or at the assembly plant as always.

Fuel rods are transported by Tri State from Hanford by land to ports and air ports that have over water departure sites. ( Yes I also did that for years before the contract was moved back to tri state.)

Yucca flats is supposed to one day begin receiving the waste in temporary storage on site and even possibly the plant at Sargents Ohio will move there. If it happens the trucking will be an immense project needing many more times the "cannisters" that exist at present. Those Cannisters are built by Chem Nuclear and can survive a train collision at 100 MPH head on. They were in fact tested at 200 MPH collision the film is impressive.
So far legal opposition has succeeded in preventing the movement of spent fuel to Yucca. There are a limited number of truck drivers certified to move these fuel and spent fuel rods. The amount of spent fuel on hand right now would make all of them work for the rest of their lives.
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JPL » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 18:11:30

Thanks 'the48thronin', this (the disposal issue) is possibly the most powerful arguement against further development of fission plants in the future.

It has been said before, but it's worth re-stating, namely that the 'safe disposal' arguement is still reliant on future generations having a society with a sufficient level of technological advancement to keep looking after the stuff (our toxic waste) safely.

It may happen. No-one is saying it's impossible that the world 'say' 50 years in the future might be able to shoot the stuff into the sun or something. But we can also, all, envisage futures in which this might no be do-able. I personally think these latter scenarios are more likely.

Even with our current level of technology we are still not considering sensible solutions like (for example) digging a big shaft in Antartica and dropping it in, sealing it off and also making a big resolutions like not creating any more of the stuff. This is not a perfect solution but it is a practical one right now and may not be do-able in 20 years time. The only alternative as I see it is praying to our gods (once again) that the great alter of 'technological progress' will deliver us from these horrible problems.

Just some thoughts.

JP
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: split/off topic/In-n-Out: Nuclear Dumps

Unread postby Gorm » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 18:38:03

This is not an unmanagebel problem. You whine like frigthend children. LOL

Are we not men? We can deal with this.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby cipi604 » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 18:46:08

And usually men go to war. I'm not so sure that in the near future there's going to be somebody to change those tanks for the uranium fluoride gas, or keep the actual n.power plants working safely, mostly in a collapsing society.

Murphy's laws:

* If anything can go wrong, it will

* If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Gorm » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 18:48:32

When it goes wrong, fix it. Better then whining about it and stating that everything is going to fail no matter what.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Gazzatrone » Fri 19 Dec 2008, 22:10:53

Is it to simplistic to ask why Nuclear waste isn't encased in concrete and dumped in a Volcano?
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY!
Gazzatrone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology