Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Uninhabitable Earth

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

The Uninhabitable Earth

Unread postby Revi » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 11:11:12

I am just reading this book. It's got short chapters, but I am reading just one or two at a time because it's so intense.

Below is an article that was used as the basis for the book which just came out this year.

The reality is that we are headed for around 4 degrees by the end of the century. We are already in a climate crisis.
Most of the plans to keep us under 2 degrees C rely on negative emissions, which don't exist yet.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/ ... umans.html

Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Uninhabitable Earth

Unread postby Cog » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 11:30:27

The 7 billion plus who inhabit it now, would disagree with your conclusions about habitability.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 14:48:25

Thanks for weighing in Cog. I hope it's habitable in 10 or 20 years.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 16:18:35

Revi wrote:Most of the plans to keep us under 2 degrees C rely on negative emissions, which don't exist yet.

Thanks for the pointers to the book and article, Revi.

And the longer we screw around and make the problem much worse, the worse the consequences for mitigation (if even possible at some point), get. (I still think "Star Trek" like technology to remove a lot of carbon over time is possible -- but it will be extremely expensive in the amounts and time frame needed, by the time humanity wakes up).

(Not that people will actually care to deal with it (it's expensive and inconvenient, after all), until it's RIGHT IN THEIR FACE with meaningful consequences.

None of this surprises me, really. Given how hard it is to get the majority of people to even take their OWN retirement saving seriously (as if aging is uncertain); expecting the majority of people to deal with something that they're uncertain about, especially in their lifetime -- just doesn't seem doable.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 20:26:02

Thanks for the links, Revi

Did you see that Trump is putting together a crack team of climate change deniers to advise him? Or maybe that should be a crackpot team....

God help us all.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Wed 27 Feb 2019, 10:12:30

It's really interesting to think about. We are told that we can't do anything about our own suicidal trajectory because it might hurt the economy. What good is an "economy" when there is no place to spend it? This system helps some of us out, but the lines of refugees aren't going to partake of it.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 27 Feb 2019, 11:58:31

Revi wrote:It's really interesting to think about. We are told that we can't do anything about our own suicidal trajectory because it might hurt the economy. What good is an "economy" when there is no place to spend it? This system helps some of us out, but the lines of refugees aren't going to partake of it.

The flip side of that same coin: Approximately 3/4ths of those 7.7B humans are completely dependant upon burning FF's to live. The use of FF's for agriculture is the main reason, but FF's are also used to process and transport food, and to refrigerate/freeze fresh foods.

Your prescription for "saving us from Climate Change" would starve approximately six billion humans. Best be prepared to make your case to those same 6 billion that their deaths are necessary to save the planet.

It is popular around here to believe that the 6 billion victims of CC hysteria would be the Western World, and that the "noble poor peoples" of the world will survive because they are more in tune with Nature and better prepared for hardship. This is in fact total claptrap, in a worldwide petroleum marketplace, those with the MOST MONEY eat and the poor starve. The country of Venezuela has huge oil reserves, but can't feed itself without the entire infrastructure of oil refineries and a fuel distribution system it cannot keep running.

The Western World of course is the only one even attempting to do anything about Climate Change. But at the same time, they are exporting oil/coal/natural gas to the Third World, along with food grown with petroleum fuels. India and China are each bringing a new coal power plant online each week on avaerage, I am told. So go tell the Indians and Chinese that they need to starve to save the planet.

Good luck with that.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 27 Feb 2019, 15:26:08

Revi wrote:I am just reading this book. It's got short chapters, but I am reading just one or two at a time because it's so intense.

Below is an article that was used as the basis for the book which just came out this year.

The reality is that we are headed for around 4 degrees by the end of the century. We are already in a climate crisis.
Most of the plans to keep us under 2 degrees C rely on negative emissions, which don't exist yet.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/ ... umans.html

Interesting title...is the author discussing the great warming upon entrance into the Holocene? Or just the minor warmings (and corresponding coolings) that have happened during the current interglacial?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Wed 27 Feb 2019, 16:02:22

I think we are supposed to believe that humans ended the last glaciation period. That any warming that melted all the ice that was sitting over North America was our fault.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 27 Feb 2019, 17:15:43

Cog wrote:I think we are supposed to believe that humans ended the last glaciation period. That any warming that melted all the ice that was sitting over North America was our fault.

Comments like that DON'T make you at all credible, re the issue.

The time period re AGW discussed is since the industrial revolution started causing serious amounts of global fossil fuel burning. We're talking well under 200 years. And as far as the serious warming, we're talking the last 6 decades or so.

But hey, such ideas will play well for sure on the denier sites, where facts and science are largely ignored.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 27 Feb 2019, 17:22:59

KJ,

Either way we are looking at a significant population drop. Which path would produce less drop? That’s my question to you.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 27 Feb 2019, 19:25:01

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Cog wrote:I think we are supposed to believe that humans ended the last glaciation period. That any warming that melted all the ice that was sitting over North America was our fault.

The time period re AGW discussed is since the industrial revolution started causing serious amounts of global fossil fuel burning. We're talking well under 200 years. And as far as the serious warming, we're talking the last 6 decades or so.

But hey, such ideas will play well for sure on the denier sites, where facts and science are largely ignored.

I'd say I'm more credible than Al Gore who predicted in 2008 that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2013, or John Kerry who predicted in 2009 that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2014. But I'm not a smart Democrat politician like they are. I'm just a deplorable not worthy of consideration. :-D
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 28 Feb 2019, 09:08:52

I’m smart enough to not make silly predictions as above. And yes they are political, they should shut their traps because they give folks like you ammo. And I agree that opportunists have latched into AWG to use it for their own ends. If AOC wants to assitnthe AGW movement she should see her mouth shut.

But there is a good chance you will see an ice free ocean in your lifetime. You have already seen Antarctic ice shelf’s disintegrate and glaciers are in full retreat. Artic ice continues to have less exten, be thinner, and now almost all multi year ice is gone. Waters that were traditionally blocked by ice until late June/Mid July are now open in May. 1st hand experience.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Fri 01 Mar 2019, 13:58:42

Cog wrote:I'd say I'm more credible than Al Gore who predicted in 2008 that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2013, or John Kerry who predicted in 2009 that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2014. But I'm not a smart Democrat politician like they are. I'm just a deplorable not worthy of consideration. :-D

Try Kevin Anderson at the Tyndall Center. He may be more to your liking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW-8ea8LWG8
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 01 Mar 2019, 17:21:35

Cog,

Your pity party wears old. Folks here are trying to discuss some technical matters, not politics.

It would be nice to have you join the conversation.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 01 Mar 2019, 19:09:15

Cog wrote:The 7 billion plus who inhabit it now, would disagree with your conclusions about habitability.

Of Insects and Men
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/02/26/of-insects-and-men/

Industrial farming seems to be wiping out life that surrounds it.

Thank God we still have industrial petroleum farming.

We are certainly losing biodiversity at a rapid rate, which is usually essential for adaptation to a changing environment.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 01 Mar 2019, 20:30:02

Cog wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:

I'd say I'm more credible than Al Gore who predicted in 2008 that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2013, or John Kerry who predicted in 2009 that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2014. But I'm not a smart Democrat politician like they are. I'm just a deplorable not worthy of consideration. :-D

And what, pray tell, does that have to do with the last ice age? What's next, jingling keys?

The fact that some short term predictions by laymen (who shouldn't be making such predictions, I'd agree) were wrong doesn't change the science or the overall trend.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Revi » Mon 04 Mar 2019, 11:59:45

The end of the book is a all about the psychology of climate change. Those of us who tried to get people interested in peak oil understand the various different forms of denial or nihilism. It's a natural reaction to the huge predicament that we have put ourselves in. Read one or two chapters a night of the first 12. Otherwise it will be overwhelming. The whole end of the book can be read in one sitting however!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 06 Mar 2019, 10:53:27

Cog wrote:

I scared myself with a little thought experiment the other day. It takes 80 calories to melt one gram of ice. That same 80 calories takes that now melted ice to 80 degrees celsius, or almost boiling. Once that ice melts, it's off to the races for the arctic! It could be as warm as it is around here on a sunny summer day once that ice melts.

I really didn't understand how dangerous climate change could be until I understood this.

We boil maple sap and it can go from a frozen pan to boiling really quickly. Now I know why. It takes a lot of energy to get the sap unfrozen, but then can go quickly to boiling with the same amount of heat energy.

Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 06 Mar 2019, 22:25:51

Those little thought experiments can be devilish. Sometimes wrong, it sometimes profound. Good on you, that’s a sweet one.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews