Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Unemployment Thread pt 2 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

45% unemployment for 29 and under

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 31 Dec 2011, 21:53:56

The sobering reality: just 55.3 percent of Americans between 16 and 29 have jobs. And earlier this year, Americans’ student loan debt surpassed credit card debt for the first time ever.

It’s no surprise the President is ignoring millenials. They’re too poor to donate to his campaign this election cycle. Older Americans are 47 times richer than the young – a striking generational gap in prosperity that has widened from a 10 to 1 ratio when Ronald Reagan was running for reelection in 1984.
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/30/have-the-youth-given-up-on-obama/

Obviously, this number is skewed by all the kids 16-22ish in high school or college. But still.. as a group.. ages 16-29 have no job whatsoever. I've had a job since I was 15. Now we have a whole generation here with no job experience at all. They all keep going to school over and over, student loan debts $100,000 plus. At some point someone has to get a job, they can't go to school forever.

And 29 years old is a rather high bracket for "youth."
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: 45% unemployment for 29 and under

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 31 Dec 2011, 22:00:02

wrote:
It’s no surprise the President is ignoring millenials....

Obama isn't ignoring all the menial millenials. He just assumes he's already got them in his pocket because they are too ignorant to see the connection between his failed economic policies and the lack of jobs and economic distress they are suffering through on his watch.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sat 31 Dec 2011, 22:24:09

Plantagenet wrote:
wrote:It’s no surprise the President is ignoring millenials....

Obama isn't ignoring all the menial millenials. He just assumes he's already got them in his pocket because they are too ignorant to see the connection between his failed economic policies and the lack of jobs and economic distress they are suffering through on his watch.
There's your problem right there. None of these people have the pasty white Frank Luntz doughboy look of Young Republicans.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sat 31 Dec 2011, 22:37:36

Unemployment among collage graduates is only 4%. Maybe, we should concentrate more on our educational system like the Chinease are doing?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby eXpat » Sat 31 Dec 2011, 23:06:14

I wonder how high is the unemployment for all those above 40. 8O
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 31 Dec 2011, 23:22:46

PrestonSturges wrote:There's your problem right there. None of these people have the pasty white Frank Luntz doughboy look of Young Republicans.

I dunno, if we're going on looks, I'd say the black guy in the red shirt, and the white guy to his left could probably clean up good nuff to hire; the rest look like leaches.

I'm not much for going on looks though.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 00:00:21

AgentR11 wrote:
PrestonSturges wrote:There's your problem right there. None of these people have the pasty white Frank Luntz doughboy look of Young Republicans.

I dunno, if we're going on looks, I'd say the black guy in the red shirt, and the white guy to his left could probably clean up good nuff to hire; the rest look like leaches.

I'm not much for going on looks though.

I dunno... the redhead could probably make 6 figures turning tricks.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Novus » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 01:22:49

Lore wrote:Unemployment among collage graduates is only 4%. Maybe, we should concentrate more on our educational system like the Chinease are doing?

Do you have a source on that because I have heard differently.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 02:13:28

Lore wrote:Unemployment among collage graduates is only 4%. Maybe, we should concentrate more on our educational system like the Chinease are doing?

All you "edumicated" people caused these problems in the first place. I know where to start when it comes to cleaning up the system...
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Unconventional Ideas » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 08:46:23

This generation is the engine behind the Occupy Movement, and as the employment problem is systemic, don't count on the Occupy Movement to go away. It will only get bigger in 2012.
Unconventional Ideas
Wood
Wood

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 10:40:16

No, kids need to learn how to work (apprenticeship), not go to school and book learn.
vision-master

Unread postby pup55 » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 11:42:20

This happens to be one of my favorite topics. Allow me to rant.

Reasons we got to this point (not necessarily in order of their importance)

1. The failed policies of the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and Bush II administrations which keep their 50-year old parents flipping burgers, a job formerly associated with entry level workers but now held by people trying to keep their act together.

2. The deliberate strategy of the Bush I, Clinton and Bush II administrations to open up our southern border, depriving a lot of these kids an entry level job and teach them some work ethic. Particularly bad is the H1B Visa plan which has a lot of so-called engineers and other hangers on coming into the country from Asia, thus depriving a lot of our own kids an opportunity.

3. The overall collapse of the nuclear family, with strong parental role models. This was caused mainly by a reduced standard of living since 1971. Half of the kids in this era are born to single-parent families, with weak parenting.

4. Parental Guilt-Trip Overcompensation: Possibly as an artifact of (3) a lot of these kids were given a sense of entitlement. The young ladies all want to be Disney Princesses, and expect some handsome prince to swoop down and solve all of their problems, and the young gentlemen expect to become DJ's or studio guitarists or video game designers. Their parents, out of not a small measure of guilt, did not insist otherwise and steer these kids toward some sort of useful activity, and lean on them to make sure they were prepared to enter the labor force.

5. A disgraceful school system that leaves a third of these poor kids dropping out, another third practically illiterate and unable to do simple problem solving. There are plenty of places to put blame: Administrators that are a lot of good old boy ex football coaches whose main mission is to keep in budget and build a bigger stadium, teachers who now come, in large part, from the bottom 1/3 of their college classes, and are only slightly better equipped than the students, underpaid and unable to maintain discipline, a dumbed down curriculum, designed to lift up the lower end of the class, move the AP kids along, and forget about the middle... Complete abandonment of teaching useful skills such as shop or auto mechanics or welding... a victim of "political correctness" I suppose. Whining parents who do not back up the teachers, because the teachers are weak. Teachers that are delivery devices for the curriculum with no flexibility to change what doesn't work.

6. They're out of shape, and don't show up to places on time. I reported not too long ago that 80 percent of these kids are unfit for military service because of physical conditioning, not to mention failing the drug test and the fact that they are felons. True that the current crop of "volunteers" are on the low end of the socioeconomic scale but the very notion that the defense of the country is left up to some of these slugs is enough to make George Patton roll over in his grave. I said a long time ago that Nikita Kruschev is rolling over in his grave right now too. Little did he know that the secret weapon that could immobilize 80% of the American Army was "high fructose corn syrup".

7. Readily available distractions: Drugs, alcohol, electronic distractions of various types. There have always been some distractions, but no parental figures to tell them "no". In fact, lack of being told "no" is a common thread that runs throughout these problems.

8. An incentive system that works in the wrong direction: A young lady in this age group that pops out a kid in my state gets $500 a month from the dad (paid for by grandpa, since dad does not have a job), plus some supplemental income from the state, plus subsidized food and medical care and a lot of other benefits. It does not seem to cramp their style, their hovering parents are happy to babysit their grandkids. Why not crank out 2 or 3 more?

9. Consumerism? You know where I am going on this one.

10. Core Values problems? Whatever happened to Truth, Justice and the American Way? We all know what happened to the Truth ("I am not a crook") Justice (If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit) and the American Way (Saddam is a Weapon of Mass Destruction).

I will think of some others later.

BTW this generation should, in theory be out buying houses right now, instead of sitting around in Mom's basement getting loaded. Until they do, the current housing problem is going nowhere.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 11:52:06

7. Readily available distractions: Drugs, alcohol, electronic distractions of various types. There have always been some distractions, but no parental figures to tell them "no". In fact, lack of being told "no" is a common thread that runs throughout these problems.

I like how you seperate drugs and alcohol, why do you do this?

FYI: teenage drinking is down and cannabis use is up. :)

Also, why did you leave out religious teachings?
vision-master

Unread postby Lore » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:26:12

Novus wrote:

Do you have a source on that because I have heard differently.

Despite Unemployment Worries, 95% of U.S. College Grads Have Jobs

However, if one examines the August BLS jobs report closely, one finds something interesting -- the unemployment rate for college graduates (that is, those holding at least a Bachelor’s degree) is only 4.3 percent. Moreover, this figure has slowly declined from 5.0 percent in August 2010.
LINK
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:51:50

Kids fresh out of law school are offering to work for free just to have something to put on a resume. It is from this cohort that your next revolution will come.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 13:02:12

Does it surprise anyone that the dry cleaner or truck stop would rather hire a person with some college than a HS dropout?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby pup55 » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 14:02:29

Drugs and alcohol: You are right of course, both have been around as long as civilization, and when responsibly used are a part of the culture. The problem happens when the younger generation is not taught how to use either responsibly.. part of this is an artifact of our peculiar culture where we on the face of it prohibit this stuff but at the same time have a billion dollar per year advertising budget to promote it, some of this aimed squarely at young people.

Religion: Where to start: The nation's biggest Christian denomination, Roman Catholicism, was nearly bankrupted over the last decade because quite a few of its clergy was accused of having sex with small boys, and the various scandals were covered up, up to and possibly including the top man himself. Protestantism: The largest denomination of this, TV Evangelism, seems to also be populated by people who preach the 10 commandments on one hand, but have no problem fooling around with the congregation. Examples: Swaggart, Haggerty, Bakker. A significant portion of these so-called Christian religions selectively ignore the teachings of the Prophet that do not suit them (examples: It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven. Example: Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers that you do unto me).
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 14:07:59

Young people in Portugal told to 'Emigrate' if they can't find work at home.

A wave of indignation was triggered when Passos Coelho, in the face of the growing unemployment that is hitting young people and educators extremely hard, suggested to teachers on December 18 that as an alternative they could move to Portuguese-speaking countries like Brazil or Angola.

The next day, several ministers applauded the prime minister's remarks, saying his suggestion was a valid solution, especially for teachers.

But the governments of Angola and Brazil quickly responded, saying they had no immediate need for teachers

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 79968.html

The did this is Canada in the recession in the early 1990's as well. The conservative govenment of Alberta gave a 'free' one way bus ticket to any poor person wanting to move to British Columbia; where the economy was 'booming'. (BC had 14% unemployment at the time), this got rid of a problem for the rich at 'home' by shifting the problem somewhere else.

Those who have 'made it' feel no responcibility for those living in poverty, so they just shush it along to that mythical place called away...
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 14:14:20

pup55 wrote:Religion: Where to start: The nation's biggest Christian denomination, Roman Catholicism, was nearly bankrupted over the last decade because quite a few of its clergy was accused of having sex with small boys, and the various scandals were covered up, up to and possibly including the top man himself.

I'll tell you something though. Our culture has a tendency to look at something like this, attack it/remedy it, and think the problem is solved. Truth is, it can not be solved. Pedophiles exist, they are what they are long before they even leave high school; they *choose* professions that are most likely to place them in private contact with individual children. The Church, for them, is now botched, rules and procedures work to make private access almost impossible. Is the same true for all organizations and services kids need? I think not.

Everyone must remain vigilant if you want to put pedophiles out of commission; never accept that there is a valid reason for a single adult to be alone, in private, with a single child. NEVER. No well meaning adult will ever object to having another adult present, or meeting in public view. There's no excuse to close that office door.

In addition, we need to get over this obsession with "stranger-danger"; most crimes like this are not committed by strangers; they are committed by adults known to the kids, and usually very highly trusted by them.

*this has been a public service announcement... please forgive the soapbox.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 14:59:25

Cloud9 wrote:Kids fresh out of law school are offering to work for free just to have something to put on a resume. It is from this cohort that your next revolution will come.
Everyone should read Erich Hoffers "The True Believers thoughts on the nature of mass movements" (1951) where he basically explains where the Tea Party and OWS came from.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion