Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Taiwan Thread (Merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Taiwan Thread (Merged)

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 29 Aug 2021, 04:15:31

Well to begin, I never voted for Trump so labeling me a Typical Trumper is a complete miss.
As to seeing Both sides blamed evenly just which two sides are you referring to? Mainland China vs. Taiwan? China. vs. USA? Japan/ South Korea. vs Taiwan and Hong Kong.? It is a six sided cube of interrelations.
Sanctions are tried repeatedly and I have not once ever seen a sanctioned country actually reform it's actions satisfactorily due to them.
The Biden administration has shown it is totally incompetent (not that the Trump administration was much better) and when faced with the challenge of China invading Taiwan ,will fail, afraid of the cost to the USA only to find the loss of Taiwan will cost us several times the cost of defending it.
Taiwan is not Afghanistan lead by totally corrupt oligarchs and religious fanatics.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 01 Sep 2021, 21:00:53

I hope we don't lose Taiwan. It would be a major escalation of a new cold war.

Considering that we put all our factories in China, that would certainly be a problem for us.

Hong Kong was given back to China and they did with it what they please.

Texas is giving the shaft to women in that state. That is just politics, they do what they please , i.e. are able to do, without compromising.

And then we worry about women's rights in Afghanistan and blame it on Biden. Really?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jato0072 » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 17:02:06

China on Friday, March 3 urged that the US must cease all communication with the self-administered island of Taiwan, and halt all military contacts between the joint chiefs of staff from the two ally nations. The US must cease selling weapons to the breakaway territory Taiwan, Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman Tan Kefei said. China escalated the issue with the US over a potential deal with Taiwan for the sale of multirole stealth F-16 fighter jets, and military equipment worth more than $600 million.

China demands US stop sending arms to Taiwan

My paraphrase: If the US doesn't want China sending arms to Russia, then have the US stop sending arms to Taiwan. (Quid pro quo)
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 14 Apr 2023, 18:41:30

jedrider wrote:I hope we don't lose Taiwan. It would be a major escalation of a new cold war.

We? Lose it? I didn't know the USA owned it? Just because you trade favorably with a nation doesn't make it yours. Personally I act as though it's gone back to China already, that's why I stocked up on my favorite Giant brand bicycles, so I don't have to suffer supply disruption when the Chinese are forced to take military action. They will of course if the Taiwanese don't give in. It's no different to this bit of history.

The Mexican-American War of 1846 to 1848 marked the first U.S. armed conflict chiefly fought on foreign soil. It pitted a politically divided and militarily unprepared Mexico against the expansionist-minded administration of U.S. President James K. Polk, who believed the United States had a “Manifest Destiny” to spread across the continent to the Pacific Ocean.

Most of the world's contact lenses come from Taiwan too, as well as a lot of other hi-tech. It's the consequences of modern capitalism where national regions have all specialized in one thing or another. Australia in mineral and energy production, Germany in industrial and tool making, japan in automotive, and the US in Debt production.

It's time to lay down the threadbare notions of American exceptionalism and get with the new program. You either do that, or you end up picking through the garbage of a former empire.

NYC

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 22 Apr 2023, 05:18:26

Additional points:

One of the reasons why the U.S. has been acting aggressively in the region is Chinese installations in the South China Sea. What's not mentioned is that several countries have such in the region, with Vietnam having the most.

Also, China is said to claim most of the sea given the nine-dash line. What's not mentioned is that the claim originated from Taiwan, which still maintains it.

Taiwan is not recognized by both the U.S. and China as a sovereign state. Actually, most countries don't.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 24 Apr 2023, 04:26:19

jato0072 wrote:My paraphrase: If the US doesn't want China sending arms to Russia, then have the US stop sending arms to Taiwan. (Quid pro quo)

But not at ALL symmetrical.

Taiwan is just trying to defend itself, not repeatedly attacking other countries, killing thousands of civilians including women and children, and constantly lying about it and blaming everyone but themselves.

Also, China is going to do what it deems in their best interest over time, and sometimes their behavior just clashes with ours, so I don't think that assuming if we leave Taiwan out in the cold re weapons supplies, that means we can count on China not to side with Russia.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 13 May 2023, 20:05:17

"Taiwan Will Not Let US Blow up TSMC if China Invades – TN"

https://www.asiafinancial.com/taiwan-wi ... invades-tn
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 17:31:43

ralfy wrote:"Taiwan Will Not Let US Blow up TSMC if China Invades – TN"

https://www.asiafinancial.com/taiwan-wi ... invades-tn

If China invades I assume it will blow up everything anyway. That's what invading armies do isn't it lol.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 20:24:00

It's also weird for them to invade their own province, which is also being armed by the U.S. but which it won't recognize as a sovereign state.

Also reminds me of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 23 Jul 2023, 17:52:01

I'm just trying to think of a case where another nation state acted the way China is, or is intending to. Perhaps the British with Northern Ireland? I don't know, but one thing I know is that borders are very sticky in good times but in times of war and especially at the end of major wars, the maps get redrawn comprehensibly and very few complain.

As I've said before, it does seem that the peoples of the world go a little crazy every 80 years or so (a natural cycle?) and they go to war and exhaust themselves, then are happy to see these little state conflicts resolved in anyway that helps with the peace they all now crave. I'm sure that after WWII all the major participants, both winners and losers, just breathed a collective sigh of relief that it was over and who cares if a middle European nation vanishes or suddenly comes into being.

Of course we are at that point again, tooling up and psyching up for an all in war to end all wars. Even Australia is tooling up in a major way. (Adam will have a snide remark on that one, but since I don't see his pointless posts...)
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 06 Aug 2023, 23:30:09

https://twitter.com/Kanthan2030/status/ ... 4367451136

Former Samsung executive and now an influential lawmaker in South Korea has a message for the Biden administration:

“You’re going down the wrong path with relentless tech (semiconductor) war against China!”
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 23 Sep 2023, 19:30:01

Taiwan says Chinese movements 'abnormal', flags amphibious drills
September 22

"Our initial analysis is that they are doing joint drills in September, including land, sea, air and amphibious," Defence Minister Chiu Kuo-cheng told reporters at parliament. The "recent enemy situation is quite abnormal", he added.

Well we all know it's going to happen, it's only a matter of when. The timing would be good too, what with America still embroiled in central Europe defending the pedophile regime, with the BRICS expansion well under way. What can the US do. Sanction China? How could the Yanks survive without their fridges and toasters and cheap chinese cloths?

And what if Saudi Arabia twists the knife by cutting oil exports even more? The US military hasn't a hope against China there, and China if it goes into war-mode with them they can legitimately dump her treasuries on the world market and use US funds to cover it's expenses lol. It will be a shitshow however it plays out. The Taiwaneee are as stubborn and as stupid as the ukrainians, they will go down in blaze of dead bodies and suffer a fate like the Uyghur. They should cut a deal now and begin to allow the Chinese mainland in to takeover peacefully. It's the only logical option.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 25 Nov 2023, 06:19:49

Taiwan alone manufactures more than 60% of the world’s semiconductors -— and crucially, 90% of the most advanced ones.
If TSMC were to build new manufacturing facilities elsewhere it would reduce the world’s reliance on Taiwan for chip production.
This would reduce risks to the US and its partners from an invasion.
In 2021, TSMC announced its plan to build a multi-billion-dollar facility in Arizona. But the plant will only be ready from 2025 at the earliest, and will probably not be capable of producing chips at what will by then be the technological frontier in terms of scale.
The Arizona facility is expected to produce chips at the 5 nanometre (nm) scale, and, at some stage, 3nm. This wouldn’t undermine Taiwan’s leadership, however, because TSMC is already working at 3nm in Taiwan and is likely to be further advanced by 2025.

TSMC may also face a challenge in attracting enough skilled employees to run its US operation.

https://theconversation.com/the-microch ... one-206335
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 25 Nov 2023, 18:34:12

Related: "U.S. regulators made Huawei's chip 'breakthrough' possible"

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/U.S.-re ... h-possible
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude