Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Syria Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Syria Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby careinke » Sun 28 May 2023, 20:24:28

I'd bet 75% of the U.S. "citizens" have no idea we are even in Syria, and 98% could not tell you why, other than there is oil there.

Were we asked to come into Syria, or did we just invade? I'm pretty sure we invaded without declaring war, without congresses approval, and on the whim of our traitorous Three Letter Departments and the MSM. I'm seeing a lot of similarities between us and Russia, except our population is a LOT more susceptible to the MSM.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 28 May 2023, 21:34:16

Obama.
I could never figure it out, which side was which.
Seems like a great place to avoid.
But, to be honest, I have never really sought out the reason for us being there. If there is a reason I do not know it.
This is one that seems to scream for congressional approval.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 29 May 2023, 08:43:40

Newfie wrote:Obama.
I could never figure it out, which side was which.
Seems like a great place to avoid.
But, to be honest, I have never really sought out the reason for us being there. If there is a reason I do not know it.
This is one that seems to scream for congressional approval.

The official Syrian government and Russia have had a port agreement and semi-alliance status going back to the 1970's. In the teen decade there was a famine with multiple causes in the middle east including Syria. This led to two events, mass migration into western Europe by refugees *the refugee crisis was the first. The second was a rebellion by the poor people in Syria who were struggling despite food aid from the government against the Russian allied government. The Neo-libs and Neo-cons in Washington D.C. thought this was a great opportunity to break the alliance between Russia and Syria and started sending lots of military supplies to the 'rebel' forces. ISIS started out as one of the rebel forces but turned around and started using those supplies to grow in bordering Iraq as well as in Syria and they quickly started committing all sorts of atrocities.

This led to a long series of mistakes and missteps with the neo-lib/con forces in D.C. claiming to be on the side of the angels while ISIS grew and revolution in Syria foundered. Eventually the USA directly intervened by sending forces to Syria but so did Russia and the two sides of the civil war each hold a large chunk of the geographic area called Syria.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 29 May 2023, 10:09:59

Tanada,
I kinda understood that.

The point where I lost understanding was when we started to intervene.

Washington D.C. thought this was a great opportunity to break the alliance between Russia and Syria

Who did they think was going to take over? Was it not obvious there was a path for confusion and disaster?

Same thing in Libia.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 30 May 2023, 21:17:57

Newfie wrote:Tanada,
I kinda understood that.

The point where I lost understanding was when we started to intervene.

Washington D.C. thought this was a great opportunity to break the alliance between Russia and Syria

Who did they think was going to take over? Was it not obvious there was a path for confusion and disaster?

Same thing in Libia.

Newfie, clearly to those of us who live outside the D.C. bubble where everyone only talks to each other and common sense died out decades who we see problems with the theory. However those living inside the bubble can not see it because they are dedicated to everything Russia is bad and needs to be punished theme that goes back to Cold War politics which should have died in 1993 after everything Soviet fell into the dust bin of history. If the hate Russia first theme had died out they would recognize that NATO serves no purpose and wouldn't have been pushing it into Russian border states, they wouldn't have sought to topple old Russian allies like Quadaffi in Libya and Assad in Syria. When I think about all the blood and treasure wasted for no good end I can really depress myself.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 31 May 2023, 08:24:46

Tanada,

I don’t know I would go quite as far as to say NATO should have been disbanded, but I do concur with much of the rest. There was a broad idea that the USA model was so great and wonderful that everyone in the world would welcome our tutorage, once the old age ruling class was gone. Our leadership was blinkered by their own egos.

Now we seem to be turning that same benighted “leadership” upon our own population. With about as much finesse.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 22 Feb 2024, 18:47:55

Newfie wrote:Now we seem to be turning that same benighted “leadership” upon our own population. With about as much finesse.

An astute observation Newfie, and it happens all the time doesn't it. Even in just the past 100 years the list of nations that turned aggressively against their own populations is astounding.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Asia Discussion